TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
Snacko
Snack Officer

Will we ever get the Guide Option 'Filter' back?

When I upgraded to the Premier Tivo 2 years ago, the only feature that I missed was the category Filter in the Guide Options...

1. Why don't we have this simple feature yet???
2. Will we ever get it again?
Snacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
sieglinde

Don't know what you are talking about? Do you mean when you do a search?
Old 06-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
innocentfreak

I believe at one point Margret tweeted to someone it might make it back in for a fall update.

He is talking about when you browse the guide you used to be able to filter so it would only show certain shows like Sports or Movies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I believe at one point Margret tweeted to someone it might make it back in for a fall update.

He is talking about when you browse the guide you used to be able to filter so it would only show certain shows like Sports or Movies.
It was occasionally useful to me; especially when they rolled out the filter catagory 'Olympics' so you could see all the coverage spread across the, what 6 or so, channels.

(But aside from that I didn't use it much; I think the last time I went to set it to Olympics I discovered I'd never changed it from that from 2 years before)
Old 06-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
Snacko
Snack Officer

Yes, it was part of the Guide Options, called Filter. It displayed a list of categories like Drama, Western, Horror, War, Sports, Sci Fi, etc... that you could pick to filter out everything else in the Guide.

I used it all the time when I wanted to find a good movie. It was very useful. I had an original Tivo and used this filter for 10 years! Then, when I 'upgraded' to the HD Premier that was gone!

This is my only complaint about my Tivo Premier. Actually, this was the 'only' Guide Option that I used. I never even go into the Guide Options anymore....
Old 06-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

I know that's what you're use to doing, but have you tried any of the new features in the Browse section to find movies? You might find that they actually make it easier to find a good movie then just filtering the guide and looking through it manually.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
Snacko
Snack Officer

Thanks for your reply. And please forgive my response if I seem a bit frustrated; I am...

I just want to see what is on 'now'. Filtered by a category. Browse doesn't come close to doing that from what I see.

I tried to use Browse a few times, but gave up on that as well because it does not work as I expected.

I have a TV and a Netflix streaming account. That is all. If I want to see what Westerns are on right 'now' for 'free' it is impossible. I have to:

1 Go to Tivo Central
2 Find TV, Movies, and Videos
3 Browse TV & Movies
4 Scroll down to Movies
5 then right to get into the grid
6 then down 10 times to get to Western Movies
7 then press the Tivo A button to get to Options
8 change Option: Cost=All, to Cost=Free

Now that I've done all that, I do 'not' even see movies that are 'free' for me. Free would be only on TV or Netflix, since I am signed into Netflix it should know I have an account. But it shows me movies on HuluPlus and Amazon!! Both of which cost me money and I will never use!

I simply want to see what Westerns are on now. Browse does not sort by time, only rating or name. And when you select a movie, the info window on the right does not even tell you when it is on.

For me, the Browse feature only seems worth using to find shows to record.

If I am missing some feature that will help me here, please let me know. I tried a Movies:Western wishlist, and that is ok. But it is much, much easier to just filter the guide and see what is on TV now. And as a programmer of 30 years myself, I cannot imagine that would be difficult to do.

I have contacted Tivo Support twice in the past 2 years asking if this feature will ever come back, and get no response at all.

Snacko
Old 06-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
innocentfreak

You might want to remove Hulu and Amazon from your video providers under settings then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snacko View Post
Now that I've done all that, I do 'not' even see movies that are 'free' for me. Free would be only on TV or Netflix, since I am signed into Netflix it should know I have an account. But it shows me movies on HuluPlus and Amazon!! Both of which cost me money and I will never use!

Last edited by innocentfreak : 06-14-2013 at 06:31 PM.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
Snacko
Snack Officer

Awesome. Didn't know you could do that. I'll check it out when I get a chance.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #10
Snacko
Snack Officer

Thanks for that tip. That did make the Browser feature actually worthwile using. I will use it much more now.

But as to seeing what is on TV right now and filtering, I do wish that would come back. I get a much better picture on cable than streaming Netflix.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:24 AM   #11
hillyard

One of the dumbest things they have done. Guess since there boxes use the bare minimum hardware spec, they had to remove it to put some other lagg ass program in.

Also how does the Ethernet port stop working when it hasn't moved in 2 years after having the house hardwired.
hillyard is offline   Reply With Quote