TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
jcthorne

Major bug for pushed video in fall update

It seems the fall update has wiped out all program data and grouping for all video that has been pushed to the Tivo.

I have over 200 recordings on the tivo in an unusable, ungrouped list.

Is there any way to fix this?

Does deleting them all and one by one pushing them again fix anything?

What a mess. I cannot believe Tivo pushed out crap that makes existing boxes this useless....Did they even test it?

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
matt@thehickmans
Hemo_jr

I noticed this myself. I also noticed that newly pushed videos are ungrouped as well. No work-arounds that I know of, I just deleted them and will wait on a fix to re-populate.
matt@thehickmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
jcthorne

Verified, new pushes do not group at all. Grouping is completely broken. How sad Tivo.

Pushes also only display the series name, no episode number in the MyShows list. So I have a long list of entries all with the same name....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
innocentfreak

Is it also broken with TiVo Desktop Plus?

Maybe they changed how metadata is handled due to the remote HDUI screens and this is something that will be covered in the web developer's SDK when it is released?

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
dlfl
Cranky old novice

This provides a small bone of consolation for those of us who haven't upgraded to the Premiere I guess.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Is it also broken with TiVo Desktop Plus?
Yes.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Yes.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...24#post9353724

Quote:
Originally Posted by overFEDEXed View Post
That was me and yes it does work with a new folder.

I dropped 22 movies(80gigs) into a new folder and when I woke up this morning, it was done. Even the names showed up. Now I have not tried this with .tivo shows yet. I will tonight.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
jcthorne

It appears that tivo is no longer using the SeriesID for the grouping but some other criteria that pyTivo is not sending but TivoDesktop is.

Perhaps wmcbrine will have some time to look into it.

Last edited by jcthorne : 10-30-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #9
moyekj

Quote:
It appears that tivo is no longer using the SeriesID for the grouping but some other criteria that pyTivo is not sending but TivoDesktop is.

Perhaps wmcbrine will have some time to look into it.
seriesID grouping seemed to work for me when pushing the same show. I didn't try 2 different shows with same seriesID:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...21#post9353821

(Same show pushed twice without seriesID did not group so certainly seriesID plays a roll).
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
seriesID grouping seemed to work for me when pushing the same show. I didn't try 2 different shows with same seriesID:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...21#post9353821

(Same show pushed twice without seriesID did not group so certainly seriesID plays a roll).
I really should have kept this conversation here, rather than the Premiere forum.

At any rate, Did you use SeriesId : NCIS or the tivo seriesId number? Two different episodes of the same show or the same episode twice?

Old 10-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
innocentfreak

Someone else just posted that seriesID didn't group, but seriesId did.

This also matches moyekj's example of what worked for him so maybe some metadata programs are generating seriesID

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...88#post9353988

Old 10-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #12
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Someone else just posted that seriesID didn't group, but seriesId did.

This also matches moyekj's example of what worked for him so maybe some metadata programs are generating seriesID

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...88#post9353988
I thought it was always seriesId (not seriesID). At least that's what the pyTivo wiki says:
http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/i...adata#seriesId
Perhaps some program is generating seriesID and the tivo software was tolerating it -- until now.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #13
moyekj

Quote:
I really should have kept this conversation here, rather than the Premiere forum.

At any rate, Did you use SeriesId : NCIS or the tivo seriesId number? Two different episodes of the same show or the same episode twice?
I hate this multiple thread location business but as far as I can tell this is the story right now:
1. Yes, use seriesId, not seriesID
2. If you push 2 of the same show and they don't group I think you will have to generate a new unique seriesId #. If you do verify this then I guess you'll have to write a script perhaps to go append a string to the existing seriesId in all your metadata files such that you have new/fresh seriesId #s for all.

Personally I still wish there was a better streaming solution to TiVos (without the 1.1 GB HME limitation). I never much liked the push solution since I don't want to store program on the TiVo to begin with and don't like the fact they get set as copy protected when you do. I thought the recent SDK would give us a path to a better streaming solution but doesn't look that way right now.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #14
jcthorne

I will have to do some experimentation. All my metadata files generated by metagenerator use seriesId : SHxxxxxxx as required in the pytivo wiki and has worked for years. The id numbers are prescribed by tivo/tribune and are not random. If you use a different Id string, they will not group with items the tivo records of the same series. May not matter to some but was easier to do them right the first time.

First I have to delete all the non grouped vids and then remove them from the recently deleted. 320 items. Once they are gone, I can try pushing a few again to see if they will group. If not, will try a new unique id and try again. If anyone gets it figured out before I do, please post up.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #15
jcthorne

Update.

Removeing all instances of a show including those in the recently deleted folder and pushing again with the same seriesId does not help.

Using a new and different seriesId does allow the pushed vids to group again.

Well, its an answer. Trouble is, I have thousands of meta data files that will need to be edited if they are ever to be used with the tivo again. All to change them to INCORRECT seriesId.

I'll head over to the metagenerator thread and discuss the metadata files with dlfl.

Thanks everyone for the help. What a pain to fix a Tivo screw up.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #16
moyekj

My guess is if you delete all shows containing same seriesId and let some time pass such that the TiVo loses trace of that ID that if you push again they may group OK. i.e. With patience it may be possible to push again using the "correct" seriesId, but I don't know how long the purge time would be. Question remains whether it is even important to have the "correct" seriesId - do pushes with seriesId matching a recording on the TiVo still group with this release? That I don't know.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #17
jcthorne

Quote:
My guess is if you delete all shows containing same seriesId and let some time pass such that the TiVo loses trace of that ID that if you push again they may group OK. i.e. With patience it may be possible to push again using the "correct" seriesId, but I don't know how long the purge time would be. Question remains whether it is even important to have the "correct" seriesId - do pushes with seriesId matching a recording on the TiVo still group with this release? That I don't know.
Good point, no idea if they still group with tivo recordings using that seriesId.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #18
innocentfreak

While you are testing, if you use a series ID# for a show currently airing does it group? What about if the show isn't in search?

Old 10-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #19
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
My guess is if you delete all shows containing same seriesId and let some time pass such that the TiVo loses trace of that ID that if you push again they may group OK.
Concur.

Quote:
i.e. With patience it may be possible to push again using the "correct" seriesId, but I don't know how long the purge time would be.
28 days? Or more...

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:41 PM   #20
cherry ghost

Quote:
do pushes with seriesId matching a recording on the TiVo still group with this release? That I don't know.

shows transferred to my computer with kmttg before the update don't group with shows transferred to my computer after the update even though the seriesId is the same
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:12 AM   #21
jcthorne

Quote:
While you are testing, if you use a series ID# for a show currently airing does it group? What about if the show isn't in search?
Done.

Shows not in search does not matter, still groups fine with the new seriesId

Shows currently airing do not group with old (does not group at all) or new (groups with themselves) seriesId.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:48 AM   #22
innocentfreak

Thanks. I was hoping it might give us some insight in what they did, but it doesn't look like it.

I wonder what would happen if you pushed a show with a series ID for something set to record but it doesn't have any current recordings. I wonder if the recording would then group with what you already pushed.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:38 AM   #23
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Pushes always generate unique seriesIds. You can't match existing seriesIds if you try. This is different from pulls, where what you specify as "seriesId" is what actually ends up on the TiVo. In a push, when you give pyTivo a seriesId, it just passes that on as the source ID (an arbitrary unique string) to mind.tivo.com, which does with it what it will. You should get back the same seriesId for the same source ID each time, but that's the extent of our control of the process.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #24
txporter
One sec, almost done

I noted in the other thread (and I think earlier in this one) that someone mentioned needing to delete the shows in the recently deleted folder as well. I wonder if the 28 days time (or whatever the purge time is for seriesId) starts after the shows roll-out of the trash? i.e. are shows in the recently deleted treated as being in the NPL for tracking seriesId.

I am contemplating possibly waiting on doing too much with regards to redoing seriesId until the full roll-out. It seems like minor changes are many times made between the priority roll-out and regular. Perhaps this one will be fixed?

In regards to the lack of control with seriesId/grouping with recorded programs, it's too bad that more information isn't released by Tivo. Amazon can group their programs in its own folder as well as the standard folder for a program. It is obviously possible.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote