TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-03-2012, 02:48 AM   #1
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

60 Minutes 12/2/12 - hospital costs, North Korean escaped prisoner, solar plane

I haven't watched the first segment yet but I liked 2nd and 3rd segment.

I've seen numerous documentaries on NK before. This is probably about the most detail I've heard about the life in prison camps there. Horrible!

I really hope the NK government does fall someday in the near future so the people there can see how they've been duped and how the rest of the world lives.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
allan
I survived the Mayan

I knew NK was a hellhole, but I hadn't heard about the "3 Generations" thing before.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
mwhip
All better

The first segment was great and probably be one of the ones where the DOJ and FBI are moved to act. It also confirms my belief that health just like education, defense and religion should never be a for profit organization.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
...health just like education, defense and religion should never be a for profit organization.
Liberal fantasy land...

HR20-700
HR22-100
HR24-500
Pioneer DVR-810H
Sony SVR-3000 235hr
crazywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywater View Post
Liberal fantasy land...
I am not going to divulge into politics but instead you get one of these

Gamertag - mwhip
Old 12-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

that plane was cool. Solar powered and could fly at night.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
that plane was cool. Solar powered and could fly at night.
That was pretty cool, but I was most interested by the piece about North Korea's camp 14. I just reserved _Escape from Camp 14 : one man's remarkable odyssey from North Korea to freedom in the West_ at my local library. This is the book by Blaine Harden that the piece was about, the guys they interviewed, etc.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
The first segment was great and probably be one of the ones where the DOJ and FBI are moved to act. It also confirms my belief that health just like education, defense and religion should never be a for profit organization.
On the first story, I totally agree. You have to wonder if this is the norm or the exception. One of my problems with the new Healthcare law is it REALLY doesn't look at costs and this sort of thing. I always say, the healthcare system we have is more about profit and less about health.

Second story. NK is really about as bad as Nazi Germany. We spent a lot of money and time on Iraq and now Iran, but really, THIS type of thing is the reason that, if we truly believed in "liberating" people from oppression and spreading democracy, NK should be our target. I know the politics why it's no more than a bluff any time we threaten there (China of course, and the fact that there's no real resources we could exploit, i.e. oil), but these people deserve to at least determine how they want to live.

On story three. I was so much impressed by the plane as I am by the technology potential that can come from it. The thought of getting solar panels that could store energy for that period of time is intriguing. If that technology can be ported to more everyday applications, then that plane is REALLY a breakthrough. I was curious if the plane flew above the clowd curtain and that's why it gets enough sun for it to store energy over night.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
On the first story, I totally agree. You have to wonder if this is the norm or the exception. One of my problems with the new Healthcare law is it REALLY doesn't look at costs and this sort of thing. I always say, the healthcare system we have is more about profit and less about health.

Second story. NK is really about as bad as Nazi Germany. We spent a lot of money and time on Iraq and now Iran, but really, THIS type of thing is the reason that, if we truly believed in "liberating" people from oppression and spreading democracy, NK should be our target. I know the politics why it's no more than a bluff any time we threaten there (China of course, and the fact that there's no real resources we could exploit, i.e. oil), but these people deserve to at least determine how they want to live.

On story three. I was so much impressed by the plane as I am by the technology potential that can come from it. The thought of getting solar panels that could store energy for that period of time is intriguing. If that technology can be ported to more everyday applications, then that plane is REALLY a breakthrough. I was curious if the plane flew above the clowd curtain and that's why it gets enough sun for it to store energy over night.
I agree NK as well as a lot of Africa needs liberating more than Middle East countries but you are right no natural resources worth getting involved over it seems.

That plane is cool but it looks like it would not hold up to severe weather. Microbursts or lighting strikes look like it could take it down.

Gamertag - mwhip
Old 12-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
brianric

Quote:
Have you served in the military?
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
Have you served in the military?
No, I haven't, but I'm not sure how that is relevant. Please explain.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #12
WO312

Quote:

The solar panels don't store energy. They have a battery onboard.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #13
brianric

Quote:
No, I haven't, but I'm not sure how that is relevant. Please explain.
Quote:
NK is really about as bad as Nazi Germany. We spent a lot of money and time on Iraq and now Iran, but really, THIS type of thing is the reason that, if we truly believed in "liberating" people from oppression and spreading democracy, NK should be our target. I know the politics why it's no more than a bluff any time we threaten there (China of course, and the fact that there's no real resources we could exploit, i.e. oil), but these people deserve to at least determine how they want to live.
Easy to talk about going to war as long as you have no skin in the game. Iraq never should have happened. You would think twice if you or your sons/daughters about going to war if you or they could be on the front lines. We lost over 50,000 Americans in the Korean war, and you want to go back there. IMO, the last thing you want to do is go to war, so unless the United States national interest is at stake, we should stay the hell away from war. Spreading democracy and liberating people is not justification for military action.

America would be less likely to go to war if the draft was reinstated and taxes were increased to pay for it. BTW, I served eight years in the Navy.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #14
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Easy to talk about going to war as long as you have no skin in the game. Iraq never should have happened. You would think twice if you or your sons/daughters about going to war if you or they could be on the front lines. We lost over 50,000 Americans in the Korean war, and you want to go back there. IMO, the last thing you want to do is go to war, so unless the United States national interest is at stake, we should stay the hell away from war. Spreading democracy and liberating people is not justification for military action.

America would be less likely to go to war if the draft was reinstated and taxes were increased to pay for it. BTW, I served eight years in the Navy.
I guess my point should have been stated more clearly. I'm not advocating war with N. Korea, not at all. I'm saying that if there IS a place that deserves our intervention, it's not Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, but N. Korea, simply because of what they are doing to their people is equivalent to what we've gone to war for in the past, such as WW II. If my sons or daughter wanted to serve to fight that cause, I'd be fine with it. Not so for Iraq or Iran. That said, I'm all for diplomatic methods to make a regime change there, NOT a war.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #15
cmgal

That was pretty cool, but I was most interested by the piece about North Korea's camp 14. I just reserved _Escape from Camp 14 : one man's remarkable odyssey from North Korea to freedom in the West_ at my local library. This is the book by Blaine Harden that the piece was about, the guys they interviewed, etc.

Excellent book. Really opened my eyes to the horrors that the NK people deal with daily. I was glad to see that Shin Dong-hyuk is getting a chance at a normal life.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #16
justen_m

Quote:
Easy to talk about going to war as long as you have no skin in the game.[snip]America would be less likely to go to war if the draft was reinstated and taxes were increased to pay for it. BTW, I served eight years in the Navy.
Maybe that's true. I joined the Navy after seeing my dad whisked away for the first Gulf War. Army NCO puke. As soon as I graduated, I was there, too (sort of). My mom and grandma hated my decision. Why did you join the Navy? I joined because my grandfather did. I didn't give a **** about National defense.

Anyway, the book is now waiting for me. I will probably read it over the upcoming xmas break. If it sucks, cmgal, I am gonna kick your butt!
Old 12-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #17
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
Why did you join the Navy? I joined because my grandfather did. I didn't give a **** about National defense.
1974, oil crisis was eliminating my job. Soon to be unemployed with a college degree. First thing went through my mind what could I do that's not affected by oil - nuclear power. Where can I learn it, especially free - US Navy. I just retired after 30 years commercial nuclear power thanks to the United States Navy.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #18
justen_m

Quote:
1974, oil crisis was eliminating my job. Soon to be unemployed with a college degree. First thing went through my mind what could I do that's not affected by oil - nuclear power. Where can I learn it, especially free - US Navy. I just retired after 30 years commercial nuclear power thanks to the United States Navy.
You're a nuke, too? I served on Nevada. I think we are of the same mind regarding nuke power. Did you ever sleep on the top deck of the missile compartement, behind, I can't recall what, but behind something. Emergency surface! ****! Sliding until our head hit.

After Anapolis, I got my degree from Wisconsin. Great school.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:51 AM   #19
brianric

Quote:
You're a nuke, too? I served on Nevada. I think we are of the same mind regarding nuke power. Did you ever sleep on the top deck of the missile compartement, behind, I can't recall what, but behind something. Emergency surface! ****! Sliding until our head hit.

After Anapolis, I got my degree from Wisconsin. Great school.
Three bird farms, Eisenhower, Vinson, Nimitz, in that order.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #20
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Quote:
Or basic and essential things like food. We should nationalize farming.

OH WAIT

If you think today's healthcare system is at all a "free market", you are delusional. It's a horrible train wreck of half-regulations and controls at the state and federal levels. It may not be socialized but its far from being free, open, and competitive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:09 AM   #21
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
The first segment was great and probably be one of the ones where the DOJ and FBI are moved to act.
Yeah... I finally watched that part a few days ago. Shocking, but not incredibly surprising. I don't find that exec that answered incredibly credible.

Agree... our healthcare system is very messed up. When I look at the EOBs that I receive, I'm just blown away by the costs (but not all the surprising, given the stuff I hear in the media).

Last edited by cwerdna : 12-08-2012 at 12:22 AM.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:09 AM   #22
justen_m

Red face

Quote:
Three bird farms, Eisenhower, Vinson, Nimitz, in that order.
Oh. Sounds like we crossed seas but never met. I've never been on one of those.

We don't really look at flattops as anything other than targets.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:05 AM   #23
brianric

Quote:
Oh. Sounds like we crossed seas but never met. I've never been on one of those.

We don't really look at flattops as anything other than targets.
See you are from Idaho. I went to NPTU in Idaho, class of 7601 at A1W, or as I called it Alice in Wonderland.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #24
jdfs
Unspecial Member

Although it was a great engineering feat, I didn't see any technological breakthroughs in the solar plane. The biggest innovation were the solar panels that were molded to be the body of the wing. I was surprised they could raise $120M for something that has no commercial future. I missed the end since it was cutoff to see where they were going with this other than setting records. This seemed akin to Branson trying to go around the world in a balloon.

HDR112 196 hrs - Retired
Tivo Premier with Extender
Tivo Premier #2
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini
jdfs is offline   Reply With Quote