TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

The Lands of Ice and Fire (A Game of Thrones)

This sounds like a very cool book...can't wait to get my hands on it! An official atlas of the Game of Thrones world.

http://www.randomhouse.com/book/2213...orge-rr-martin

Quote:
George R. R. Martin’s beloved Song of Ice and Fire series, which started with A Game of Thrones, is bursting with a variety and richness of landscapes—from bitter tundra to arid wasteland and everything in between—that provide a sense of scale unrivaled in contemporary fantasy. Now this dazzling set of maps, featuring original artwork from illustrator and cartographer Jonathan Roberts, transforms Martin’s epic saga into a world as fully realized as the one around us.

The centerpiece of this gorgeous collection is guaranteed to be a must-have for any fan: the complete map of the known world, joining the lands of the Seven Kingdoms and the lands across the Narrow Sea for the first time in series history. But this is just one of many unique maps that aren’t available anywhere else. There is an alternate version that tracks the movements of the series’ protagonists throughout their vast world, along with more detailed versions of the western, middle, and eastern thirds of the world; a full map of Westeros, combining North and South; one of the Dothraki Sea and the Red Wastes; and the Braavos city map. And here, too, are fan favorites detailing everything from urban sprawl to untamed wilds: maps of King’s Landing; The Wall and Beyond the Wall; the Free Cities; and Slaver’s Bay, Valyria, and Sothyros.

Never before has the entire scope of Martin’s universe been so exhaustively and fascinatingly depicted. The maps in this beautiful, one-of-a-kind atlas will enrich your reading or viewing experience, provide another view of your favorite characters’ epic journeys, and open up captivating new worlds—plus, they’ll look great on any castle wall.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
ozzman73
Home Made

That sounds like an awesome addition to the collection. I often use the Westeros Android app
ozzman73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
TampaThunder

Very cool. Thanks for the heads up.
TampaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
astrohip
Stuart F

Yes, very cool indeed!

* I just finished Book Three (and coincidentally, dl'ed B4 to my Kindle this weekend). So to remain spoiler free, I'll have to wait...

* Should this have waited until the series is complete? Aside from a sales/marketing POV, isn't there the possibility that new lands and/or movements will occur in the remaining books, hence invalidating this book?

OR (crazy like a fox)... requiring the publishing of an entirely new and updated book.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzman73 View Post
That sounds like an awesome addition to the collection. I often use the Westeros Android app
Thanks, just dl'ed!!
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Yes, very cool indeed!

* I just finished Book Three (and coincidentally, dl'ed B4 to my Kindle this weekend). So to remain spoiler free, I'll have to wait...

* Should this have waited until the series is complete? Aside from a sales/marketing POV, isn't there the possibility that new lands and/or movements will occur in the remaining books, hence invalidating this book?

OR (crazy like a fox)... requiring the publishing of an entirely new and updated book.:rolleyes
:
I suppose real Atlases have yearly updates, so it's no big deal to issue a revised version once the series finishes.

I will love this book.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
gschrock

Hmm, torn on this myself. I have a similar book for the wheel of time series, and suspect I'd find it interesting. However, all my reading these days is on the kindle. I'm actually trying to get rid of the huge collection of books I have so I can get rid of bookshelves, so adding more large books isn't really the direction I want to go.

(On a side note, trying to downsize a book collection is pretty depressing. They're absolutely worthless, but it hurts to just get rid of them knowing how much I've spent over the years. But I have too many bookshelves and need to get rid of some of them because they just take up too much space these days.)
gschrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
laria
Librocubicularist

Maps are cool and all, but stop wasting time on maps, George, and get working on Book 6.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschrock View Post
Hmm, torn on this myself. I have a similar book for the wheel of time series, and suspect I'd find it interesting. However, all my reading these days is on the kindle. I'm actually trying to get rid of the huge collection of books I have so I can get rid of bookshelves, so adding more large books isn't really the direction I want to go.

(On a side note, trying to downsize a book collection is pretty depressing. They're absolutely worthless, but it hurts to just get rid of them knowing how much I've spent over the years. But I have too many bookshelves and need to get rid of some of them because they just take up too much space these days.)
Donate them to your local library. You'd be amazed at what kind of deduction you can get. I use Turbotax/It's Deductible, which has IRS-vetted values, and I was astounded.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I'm a map freak, and one thing that has really bugged me while reading the books is the terrible quality of the maps...it will be so nice 10-15 years from now when the next book comes out, and I reread the series to remember what was going on, to finally have decent maps to go with them.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #11
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Seems less fun than this t shirt.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #12
gschrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
Donate them to your local library. You'd be amazed at what kind of deduction you can get. I use Turbotax/It's Deductible, which has IRS-vetted values, and I was astounded.
I've thought of that, although I haven't looked into whether they library is really going to want them or not. I'm pretty sure about all they do with them is sell them themselves, not use them as lending material. So whether they really want a stack of a couple thousand books dumped on them or not might be debatable .
gschrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Why do we need maps, when we've got the opening credit sequence from the TV show?

Game of Thrones Opening Credits

Old 11-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #14
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I'm a map freak, and one thing that has really bugged me while reading the books is the terrible quality of the maps...it will be so nice 10-15 years from now when the next book comes out, and I reread the series to remember what was going on, to finally have decent maps to go with them.
Yeah...the maps are truly abysmal, especially considering that GRRM seems to follow the classic fantasy novel rule that if it's on the map (well, in his case, mentioned), the heroes have to go there at some point. I kept going back and staring at that one puddly little map trying to figure out what city Daenerys was in (at the START of the series, people!) because I just couldn't believe she was simply not on the map at all. And then there's the issue that it took until well into book 3 to figure out that "Westeros" was the name of the main country.

I slogged through the whole Simarilion with some fairly dodgy cartography and it was just fine, but being unable to acquaint myself with the GRRM geography drove me batty, especially since all the characters seem to know EXACTLY where everything is and make vague, unexplained references to places and distances all the time.

It's like reading Percy Jackson without being acquainted with mythology.

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #15
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
...and why is this in "Now Playing"?

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #16
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polcamilla View Post
...and why is this in "Now Playing"?
Because I figured more people here watch the show than read the books, and the atlas is good for both.