TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 85 votes, 4.78 average.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:14 AM   #901
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random User 7 View Post
Yes, that is called a MoCa adapter.
What he said. Note, also, that you could connect the Ethernet port from this "far-end" MoCA adapter to an Ethernet switch in order to provide network access to multiple devices; another option often employed is connecting a wireless access point, to provide both additonal wired access at the location and to extend the range of your home's wireless signal.

Wired Gigabit Ethernet would still be generally preferred, but MoCA 1.1 can provide a reliable connection where coax is available.

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:39 PM   #902
muteant

Normally I can easily wrap my head around this sort of thing, but for some reason I'm mired in self-doubt despite the superbly-written OP and would appreciate some feedback on my understanding of what must be done to create a MoCA network at my house.

In my living room, I have a TiVo Roamio (not plus nor pro) hooked up via ethernet to my wireless router (which is obviously connected to my cable modem via coax). Add to that setup a tuning adapter. I would like to set up the TiVo Mini I recently purchased in a separate bedroom. My router AFAICT does not have any MoCA capability.

So here's my best guess: I need to procure ONE MoCA adapter. I would then split the coax from the outlet, and connect both the tuning adapter and the MoCA adapter to the splitter. I would then connect the tuning adapter to the Roamio via USB. Next, I would connect the MoCA adapter to the cable modem via coaxial, and maintain the ethernet connection from the modem to the router. I would also have to (for some reason) connect via ethernet one of the router's LAN ports to the MoCA adapter's ethernet port. I could then simply connect my TiVo Mini to the coaxial outlet in the bedroom of my choosing.

Am I overlooking or misinterpreting anything? Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

muteant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #903
MikeekiM
Palindromer

So think of it this way... Your Roamio has the capability of establishing a MoCA network...

All this means is that it takes the network connectivity that you fed it with the ethernet cable and "injects" and extends your network into your coax cable.

When you connect your mini to the same coax cabling, it is able to contact both the Roamio and the internet via the coax because you've "injected" and extended the network into the coax. Now your coax is just an extension of your LAN and WAN.

You can even buy an adapter and connect it to a coax termination and hook convert to ethernet to power a notebook...

Now here is the dangerous part... Because the coax likely is connected to the rest of your neighborhood, you need to install a MoCA filter at the point of entry into your home. Otherwise, you risk exposing your network to the rest of your neighborhood...

MikeekiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:05 PM   #904
Random User 7
Incognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteant View Post
Normally I can easily wrap my head around this sort of thing, but for some reason I'm mired in self-doubt despite the superbly-written OP and would appreciate some feedback on my understanding of what must be done to create a MoCA network at my house.

In my living room, I have a TiVo Roamio (not plus nor pro) hooked up via ethernet to my wireless router (which is obviously connected to my cable modem via coax). Add to that setup a tuning adapter. I would like to set up the TiVo Mini I recently purchased in a separate bedroom. My router AFAICT does not have any MoCA capability.

So here's my best guess: I need to procure ONE MoCA adapter. I would then split the coax from the outlet, and connect both the tuning adapter and the MoCA adapter to the splitter. I would then connect the tuning adapter to the Roamio via USB. Next, I would connect the MoCA adapter to the cable modem via coaxial, and maintain the ethernet connection from the modem to the router. I would also have to (for some reason) connect via ethernet one of the router's LAN ports to the MoCA adapter's ethernet port. I could then simply connect my TiVo Mini to the coaxial outlet in the bedroom of my choosing.

Am I overlooking or misinterpreting anything? Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

MoCa adapter connects via Ethernet to your router. The cable from the MoCa adapter connects to your Mini. You're done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeekiM View Post
So think of it this way... Your Roamio has the capability of establishing a MoCA network...
Roamio basic cannot do that. POE filter is a good idea. Add that and then you are done.

Random User 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:23 PM   #905
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
You would connect the moca adapter at your modem and router.

1. Wall coax > moca adapter > cable modem (all are coax connections)
2. Connect moca adapter ethernet to a LAN socket on router.

The Roamio connection doesn't change:

1. Wall coax > POE Filter recommended > Tuning Adapter (coax and USB cable) > Tivo
2. Ethernet from router to Roamio

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw; 07-21-2015 at 03:36 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:18 PM   #906
muteant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random User 7 View Post
MoCa adapter connects via Ethernet to your router. The cable from the MoCa adapter connects to your Mini. You're done.
Thanks for the reply. Are you saying here that i need two MoCA adapters, one for the router and one for the Tivo Mini in a different room?

Old 07-21-2015, 05:26 PM   #907
MikeekiM
Palindromer

Because there is no built-in MoCA adapter on the basic Roamio, you will need to buy a MoCA adapter for the Roamio only.

A MoCA adapter is already built-in to the Mini.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:13 PM   #908
muteant

thank you to everyone for the clarification!

Old 07-21-2015, 08:49 PM   #909
Random User 7
Incognito

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Are you saying here that i need two MoCA adapters, one for the router and one for the Tivo Mini in a different room?
No, it (the Roamio) is already on Ethernet. You don't need it to be on MoCa.

Random User 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:28 PM   #910
krkaufman

Quote:
In my living room, I have a TiVo Roamio (not plus nor pro) hooked up via ethernet to my wireless router (which is obviously connected to my cable modem via coax).
Quote:
It does not, being a base Roamio only. (i.e. as the OP says, not a Plus or Pro)

Quote:
Because there is no built-in MoCA adapter on the basic Roamio, you will need to buy a MoCA adapter for the Roamio only.
No, he can leave his Roamio connected as-is, via Ethernet to his router. He *will* need to buy a single MoCA adapter, however, but he will use it to create the MoCA network by connecting it to both the coax plant and an Ethernet port on his router. If all goes well, his Mini should then be able to connect using its built-in MoCA connectivity.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:41 PM   #911
krkaufman

Quote:
If I'm reading this correctly, that's a pretty darn good guess. No call for self-doubt at all.

You seem to have left out connecting the coaxial cable to the Roamio, but I'm assuming that was an oversight. And your Roamio would remain connected via wired Ethernet to your router.

The only other gotchas would be installing a MoCA PoE (Point of Entry) filter, on the input to your home's main splitter (i.e. the splitter from which all your cable runs emanate), and verifying that all your splitters support at least 5-1000Mhz frequency range.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:29 AM   #912
MikeekiM
Palindromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkaufman View Post
No, he can leave his Roamio connected as-is, via Ethernet to his router. He *will* need to buy a single MoCA adapter, however, but he will use it to create the MoCA network by connecting it to both the coax plant and an Ethernet port on his router. If all goes well, his Mini should then be able to connect using its built-in MoCA connectivity.
Ah...that makes sense... I am glad someone knows what they are talking about!

Old 07-23-2015, 10:14 AM   #913
Wolverine10

Hi all, I think I am having a similar situation as someone above. Hopefully you guys can help me out. Just got my Roamio Pro setup. Internet connection through Ethernet cable. Everything is great there.

My mini is 2 floors up. No ethernet connection available.

-I tried to use MoCA (created a MoCA network through the Roamio), but the Mini couldn't find the MoCA network that I setup. I think the problem there is that the coax coming into the second floor is split from the main line (outside). One line goes to the second floor (bedrooms) and the other line into the basement (cable modem, router, roamio...etc).

So do I need a MoCA adapter somewhere in this configuration to get my mini to join the MoCA network?

Thanks!

Wolverine10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:14 AM   #914
Wolverine10

Hi all, I think I am having a similar situation as someone above. Hopefully you guys can help me out. Just got my Roamio Pro setup. Internet connection through Ethernet cable. Everything is great there.

-I tried to use MoCA (created a MoCA network through the Roamio), but the Mini couldn't find the MoCA network that I setup. I think the problem there is that the coax coming into the second floor is split from the main line (outside). One line goes to the second floor (bedrooms) and the other line into the basement (cable modem, router, roamio...etc).

So do I need a MoCA adapter somewhere in this configuration to get my mini to join the MoCA network?

Thanks!

Old 07-23-2015, 10:50 AM   #915
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine10 View Post

Thanks!
Hi,
Assuming you have a continuous connection for both your Roamio and your mini, i.e., the coax traces back to a common splitter, usually in a box on the outside of the home, in the attic, or basement, you should be able to make a MoCA network. Your Roamio needs either an ethernet connection, or a MoCA adapter connected by ethernet to your router. You also should have a POE / Whole Home DVR filter on the input to the first splitter. This secures your network and provides a slightly stronger MoCA signal.
The most common problems with MoCA are standard amplifiers, or poor quality cabling or splitters. Make sure all coax ports and unused wall jacks are terminated with 75 ohm terminators, about $4 for 10 at many hardware stores. If problems persist, consider upgrading your splitters to MoCA rated ones, they usually will say so on their label and cover from 5-1675 MGz.

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:13 AM   #916
Wolverine10

These are the splitters that are in my house and they seem to be the correct ones needed:
http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Coaxia...=moca+splitter

I do have an amp in the basement where that line comes in, but I am not sure what kind it is. Is there something on it that would tell me if it is MoCA compatible?

How would I know if the terminators on my cable lines are 75 ohms?

The wall plate (coax cable) that I am using the in the bedroom to connect the cable to is a cheap radioshack connection, would that make any difference? Or should I get something specific for that also?

Thanks!

Old 07-23-2015, 11:27 AM   #917
fcfc2

Quote:
These are the splitters that are in my house and they seem to be the correct ones needed:
http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Coaxia...=moca+splitter

I do have an amp in the basement where that line comes in, but I am not sure what kind it is. Is there something on it that would tell me if it is MoCA compatible?

How would I know if the terminators on my cable lines are 75 ohms?

The wall plate (coax cable) that I am using the in the bedroom to connect the cable to is a cheap radioshack connection, would that make any difference? Or should I get something specific for that also?
Edit: Assume that as long as the terminators have a center conductor they are ok, no center conductor, not ok. If you have a one in and one out amp, just try a POE filter on the output before the splitter. The cheapest place for filters is Ebay.

Thanks!
The splitters are not MoCA rated but should be ok. The most likely cause of an issue is the amplifier, unless it specifically identifies or has something on the label which mentions MoCA, assume it is not and will block the MoCA signal. If it is a one in and one out before a splitter it might be ok to use it but, if it is a multi-output type, it will have to be replaced, assuming you need an amp. As a test, try temporarily just bypass the amp and then check your MoCA setup. I would concentrate on trouble shooting the amp, it is unlikely that anything else is causing the problem.
Edit: Assume that as long as the terminators have a center conductor they are ok, no center conductor, not ok. If you have a one in and one out amp, just try a POE filter on the output before the splitter. The cheapest place for filters is Ebay.

Last edited by fcfc2; 07-23-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:32 AM   #918
krkaufman

Quote:
Can you identify its manufacturer and model number? If so, post back w/ that info.

Also, as BigJimOutlaw mentioned in the other thread, can you describe how your coax amp and splitters are connected? Even a hand drawing would be helpful.

(Your splitters, as reported, are not ideal but should be sufficient for MoCA.)

Old 07-23-2015, 01:05 PM   #919
BigJimOutlaw

If the amp is really needed, if it can be moved to the input side of the main splitter (where it generally should be), that would fix the moca signal blockage.

BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:17 PM   #920
Wolverine10

Thanks all for the info.
I will try your suggestions with bypassing the amp for a test. I think I have a couple old lines anyways that I need to get rid of and may be able to get everything down to just a couple splitters instead of going through the amp at all.

I will post back with the amp info when I get home.

I am still unsure of how to tell if my cable lines are those 75 ohm versions. I looked online for pics of different versions but they all seem to be the same looking to me. They were install by the cable guys so I would assume they are...but we are dealing with comcast so who knows...

Old 07-23-2015, 01:23 PM   #921
Wolverine10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcfc2 View Post
Hi,
Assuming you have a continuous connection for both your Roamio and your mini, i.e., the coax traces back to a common splitter, usually in a box on the outside of the home, in the attic, or basement, you should be able to make a MoCA network. Your Roamio needs either an ethernet connection, or a MoCA adapter connected by ethernet to your router. You also should have a POE / Whole Home DVR filter on the input to the first splitter. This secures your network and provides a slightly stronger MoCA signal.
The most common problems with MoCA are standard amplifiers, or poor quality cabling or splitters. Make sure all coax ports and unused wall jacks are terminated with 75 ohm terminators, about $4 for 10 at many hardware stores. If problems persist, consider upgrading your splitters to MoCA rated ones, they usually will say so on their label and cover from 5-1675 MGz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
If the amp is really needed, if it can be moved to the input side of the main splitter (where it generally should be), that would fix the moca signal blockage.
Actually the amp is inside of the main splitter. It is in the basement right before a lines go into the tivo, cable modem and small cablebox (PiP use)

Basically the lines are as follows:
-Main splitter (outside)
-One line goes to the basement which feeds the amp, then after the amp it goes to the components mentioned above
-Second line goes to the attic, where there is a splitter to go to the different bedrooms, where the tivo mini is.

Hope that gives you a little perspective of my setup.

I did notice that the cable coming from the wall into the Mini was not like the others (thinner more flimsy), so will switch that out with something else I have.

Thanks again!

Old 07-23-2015, 02:36 PM   #922
fcfc2

"Hope that gives you a little perspective of my setup."
Yes, but we need a little more....are there several out ports on your amplifier or just one?

Old 07-23-2015, 03:03 PM   #923
Wolverine10

Quote:
"Hope that gives you a little perspective of my setup."
Yes, but we need a little more....are there several out ports on your amplifier or just one?
There are definitely more than one. Probably at least 4 outputs to one input. I think this is the amp that is installed (my wife sent me a pic and it looks like this one):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1117064...lpid=82&chn=ps
CommScope amp.

Last edited by Wolverine10; 07-23-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:28 PM   #924
HarperVision

Quote:
........I am still unsure of how to tell if my cable lines are those 75 ohm versions. I looked online for pics of different versions but they all seem to be the same looking to me. They were install by the cable guys so I would assume they are...but we are dealing with comcast so who knows...
All cable TV RF video lines are at 75 ohms, whether they're using RG59 or RG6. The difference between them is the bandwidth/frequencies they can carry, not the impedance rating. Old rg59 was good enough for the old analog systems but the newer digital ones needed more bandwidth so they went to RG6 in the home. They're both rated at 75 ohms impedance.

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:14 PM   #925
krkaufman

The 75 ohm impedance issue has gone a bit astray, from this original comment by fcfc2...

Quote:
He was referring to terminating any unused coax ports with the little screw-on F-type terminator caps, to reduce noise insertion.

You could also disconnect any unused lines from your cable plant and terminate the now-open ports -- or downsize your splitters to just the number of ports needed, to improve signal strength.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:21 PM   #926
Wolverine10

Thanks all! just finished bypassing the amp with the main line. I setup the MoCA network and my TiVo Mini found the network and is now setting up!!
Thanks so much for the help!

I ordered the POE filter from Amazon, should be here by Saturday. My only question about that is how vulnerable is my home network until I get the filter?

Thanks again!

Old 07-23-2015, 07:15 PM   #927
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkaufman View Post
The 75 ohm impedance issue has gone a bit astray, from this original comment by fcfc2... He was referring to terminating any unused coax ports with the little screw-on F-type terminator caps, to reduce noise insertion. You could also disconnect any unused lines from your cable plant and terminate the now-open ports -- or downsize your splitters to just the number of ports needed, to improve signal strength.
I understood that, but I wanted to clear up some misconceptions he had to make sure if he saw any rg59 instead of rg6 then it should be replaced as it could also cause issues with moca.

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:44 PM   #928
fcfc2

Quote:
Thanks all! just finished bypassing the amp with the main line. I setup the MoCA network and my TiVo Mini found the network and is now setting up!!
Thanks so much for the help!

I ordered the POE filter from Amazon, should be here by Saturday. My only question about that is how vulnerable is my home network until I get the filter?

Thanks again!
Hi again,
Glad you got it sorted out, if you discover that you need amplification a single port bidirectional standard amp can be used if place on the main line and a POE filter and splitter follow, otherwise there are MoCA rated amplifiers.
A word of caution though, there are a couple guys selling Commscope multiport amps on Ebay and they claim they are MoCA compatible for cheap, but they are not in fact MoCA units and will block or severely degrade the MoCA signal. The problem is compounded because the manufacturer, Commscope, lists 2 different items with exactly the same model number one is MoCA friendly and has a small yellow label which says MoCA on it. The other is a MoCA killer, you have that one.
PS. You are probably safe with the MoCA network until your filter arrives, but it is good to use one anyway as it will give your MoCA signal a slight boost.
Terminators: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-QTY-Pack-...item3f4fc7f519
Filters: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-MoCA-PPC-F...item33a59b1da0
True MoCA Amp: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PCT-VC-F...item2c96cf01eb

Last edited by fcfc2; 07-23-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:00 PM   #929
Wolverine10

Quote:
Hi again,
Glad you got it sorted out, if you discover that you need amplification a single port bidirectional standard amp can be used if place on the main line and a POE filter and splitter follow, otherwise there are MoCA rated amplifiers.
A word of caution though, there are a couple guys selling Commscope multiport amps on Ebay and they claim they are MoCA compatible for cheap, but they are not in fact MoCA units and will block or severely degrade the MoCA signal. The problem is compounded because the manufacturer, Commscope, lists 2 different items with exactly the same model number one is MoCA friendly and has a small yellow label which says MoCA on it. The other is a MoCA killer, you have that one.
PS. You are probably safe with the MoCA network until your filter arrives, but it is good to use one anyway as it will give your MoCA signal a slight boost.
Terminators: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-QTY-Pack-...item3f4fc7f519
Filters: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-MoCA-PPC-F...item33a59b1da0
True MoCA Amp: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PCT-VC-F...item2c96cf01eb
Thanks for the info. Right now the signal (not going through the amp) looks great and the mini seems to be working perfectly. I think comcast just added the amp "just because" they are told to instead of using multiple splitters...I will be moving to FIOS in the fall so may be back on this thread asking more questions. But for now, I am good to go!

Thanks again!