TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
jamkor

premiere tuner poorer than Tivo HD?

I just got a Tivo Premiere to replace my aging HD. Aside from Netflix being slower, my main concern is that my signal from my antenna used to be 85-95 on the Tivo HD is now consistently 44-50 with occasional drops to zero. Nothing else has changed.

Any ideas?
jamkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamkor View Post
I just got a Tivo Premiere to replace my aging HD. Aside from Netflix being slower, my main concern is that my signal from my antenna used to be 85-95 on the Tivo HD is now consistently 44-50 with occasional drops to zero. Nothing else has changed.

Any ideas?
The signal strength numbers are on scales that are somewhat arbitrary, and different for the Premiere vs the TiVo HD. Drops to zero shouldn't happen though. Is there loss of program lock when that happens? If you want to obsess over something, look at the error counts, especially uncorrected errors. Except for maybe a modest burst during a channel change, uncorrected errors should not increment. Does the picture look good, with no glitching?
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #3
Ed_Hunt
Pokerpro

Reception

I had the exact same problem. I changed my coax to rg6 and it made all the difference, I now am at a steady 80-100 all the time. I am running 100" of cable with a splitter.
1 Roamio OTA only
60" LG Plasma
60" Vizio 1080P
36" LG HD
Ed_Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
jamkor

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The picture is terribly inconsistent (lots of stuttering/pixilation). I was only looking at signal strength because of this. Like I said, with the HD this only happened very infrequently, now it is more the norm with the premiere. :-(
jamkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
L David Matheny

Quote:
Sorry, I should have been more clear. The picture is terribly inconsistent (lots of stuttering/pixilation). I was only looking at signal strength because of this. Like I said, with the HD this only happened very infrequently, now it is more the norm with the premiere. :-(
Some people see more problems with the Premiere, but my Premiere's reception is better than that of my TiVo HD. I think the latest speculation is that the Premiere might do better with static multipath interference (reflections off buildings, etc), while the TiVo HD does better with dynamic multipath interference (reflections off planes, trucks, etc). Is it possible that you have dynamic multipath problems?
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Hunt View Post
I had the exact same problem. I changed my coax to rg6 and it made all the difference, I now am at a steady 80-100 all the time. I am running 100" of cable with a splitter.
You should get a good signal with a cable that is only 8.33 feet long.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Minollo

Quote:
I had exactly the same problem with my XL4; I ended up contacting Tivo support, who took care of replacing the unit with a new one; that corrected the problem - without changing anything on the pre-existing cables.
Minollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minollo View Post
I had exactly the same problem with my XL4; I ended up contacting Tivo support, who took care of replacing the unit with a new one; that corrected the problem - without changing anything on the pre-existing cables.
The XL4 doesnt support OTA so I am not sure how this fits...
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

I have a premiere XL which has a really sensitive tuner and gets random pixelation on some channels. However my Elite seems fine. So maybe there was a bad batch of tuners somewhere along the lines?

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
oregonman

Quote:
I have exactly the opposite experience. I had a Tivo HD that was almost unusable for OTA. Actually I had two different Tivo HDs that were about the same. I didn't blame it on the Tivos because my TV tuner was no better. I am really close to the antennas with obstructions in between.

I replaced the Tivo HD with a Premiere and the Premier is much better for OTA. I do get picture breakups and freezes, but much less that with the Tivo HDs. Same location and same antenna.
oregonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

The cable tuners and OTA tuners are completely separate chips, so that's sort of Apples and Oranges.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote