TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-16-2014, 11:23 PM   #1
bearcat2000

Tuning adapter not needed after merger?

Yet wondering if anybody knows if we will be able to lose the tuning adapter once time warner merges with comcast. Any ideas?
bearcat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:08 AM   #2
tarheelblue32

Assuming the merger goes through smoothly, it will likely be a couple of years before they totally phase out all the SDV on TWC systems. TWC still has a lot of markets that are using analog channels and so they rely very heavily on SDV. Honestly though, since they finally fixed the tuning adapter failures with software and firmware updates, I have no problem with the tuning adapter any longer. And from what I've heard, TWC has more HD channels than Comcast does thanks to SDV. I also like the fact that now on TWC there is 1 channel for both HD and SD, and the HD channel is automatically brought in if available. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think the tuning adapter is responsible for performing that action.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:48 AM   #3
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Just because there are few or no analog channels on a lineup does not mean a cable company will drop SDV. This Cox market has no analog now (I think), but they still use SDV.

I *HATE* SDV.... it is an abomination that causes more problems on my TiVo than anything ever has. It is a constant irritation. I have to reboot the tuning adapter all the time and programs are lost because it has never been reliable. There is more than enough bandwidth to get rid of SDV, especially if they would stop adding so many junk channels that few if anyone cares about.... or at least make THOSE the SDV channels and leave the good channels alone.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:28 AM   #4
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Just because there are few or no analog channels on a lineup does not mean a cable company will drop SDV. This Cox market has no analog now (I think), but they still use SDV.
Which market is that? I hadn't heard of Cox dropping analog anywhere yet. I suspect when they eventually do SDV will still be used given the infrastructure is already there and the forever growing # of channels used for data instead of video. Luckily for me Cox Orange County uses Motorola equipment for Tuning Adapters and cable cards and they seem to be less troublesome overall compared to SA/Cisco.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:46 AM   #5
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Which market is that? I hadn't heard of Cox dropping analog anywhere yet.
Hampton Roads
I think you are right. I thought I remember reading something years ago, but research now seems to indicate they still have analog, but hide the fact for some reason.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:55 AM   #6
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I *HATE* SDV.... it is an abomination that causes more problems on my TiVo than anything ever has. It is a constant irritation. I have to reboot the tuning adapter all the time and programs are lost because it has never been reliable. .......
Me too although I think your hate is even greater than mine! Even with the latest TA and CableCARD software updates, and all signal levels good (FDC, RDC, etc.) , I continue to have to reboot the TA (and restart the TiVo) when some or all SDV channels go missing, and still have occasional tuning failures, on TWC Southwest Ohio. TA problems are the only significant issues with my TiVo.

If you've seen the movie "Office Space", the scene where they destroy a malicious printer, I fantasize a similar scene where I brutally destroy a TA someday when it's no longer needed.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:06 PM   #7
tarheelblue32

Quote:
or at least make THOSE the SDV channels and leave the good channels alone.
TWC could definitely do a much better job of deciding which channels are SDV and which channels are not. Some of their decisions make no sense. QVC HD definitely does NOT need to be coming through all the time.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote