TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 142 votes, 4.96 average.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:39 PM   #2821
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
And if I removed the external (reboot between adding and removing the external), it would just revert back to what was in the internal?

Where will it store new recordings, use up the rest of the internal drive before using the external or start using the external for new recordings?
I have not done this with a Roamio, but with the Premiere and S3 units, you would lose all recordings that occurred after the extender was added but keep all the ones that were present before it was added.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:16 PM   #2822
jkozee

Can you provide details on the additional alignment being done on the inodes. If they are 512 bytes, wouldn't they fall on a 4k boundary if the partition started on one?

jkozee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:14 AM   #2823
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozee View Post
Can you provide details on the additional alignment being done on the inodes. If they are 512 bytes, wouldn't they fall on a 4k boundary if the partition started on one?
Each inode is 512 bytes and it's followed immediately by a backup copy, so that's 1024 bytes each.

Multiple factors come into play here, so skip the rest of this if tech stuff bores you.

There are 3 types of "zones". File zones are used for a fairly standard file system with directories etc. Inode zones hold the inodes, which tell you where to look on the disk for a particular file or media stream. Media zones hold the actual recordings.

The headers for all 3 types of zones and the actual file and inode zones are located in the MFS application partitions. If you align the MFS media partitions correctly for a 4KB sector drive (and they do on Roamios) that takes care of one problem, but aligning the MFS application partitions doesn't automatically align the file and inode zones within them for 4K drives. In fact it never does on the factory layout.

What I did in mfsr was to make sure that the file and inode zones start at 4K boundaries. Doing that wastes a few 512 byte 'sectors' here and there, but I got that back and more by laying out the media partitions more efficiently.

Here's where somebody will probably say that since each inode takes up 1024 bytes, aligning the start of the zone doesn't matter. Did I mention that the minimum read/write block size in the inode zones is 256MB?

ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:24 PM   #2824
Record This

Swapping out the internal drive

I purchased a new Roamio a few months ago. My hard drive is now full. I would like to get a 2 or 3 TB internal drive and swap it out. Can I copy over all of the files from my current internal drive to the new drive and somehow keep all of my recordings? Or am I going to lose my recordings no matter what?

Also, do I need to format the drive before I install it, or are they plug and play?

I tried to find the answer in this thread but 100 pages of posts is a lot to look through/

Record This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:51 PM   #2825
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Record This View Post
I purchased a new Roamio a few months ago. My hard drive is now full. I would like to get a 2 or 3 TB internal drive and swap it out. Can I copy over all of the files from my current internal drive to the new drive and somehow keep all of my recordings? Or am I going to lose my recordings no matter what?

Also, do I need to format the drive before I install it, or are they plug and play?

I tried to find the answer in this thread but 100 pages of posts is a lot to look through/
Unless you can copy to another tivo on your account or to tivo desktop, you will lose all

S2-500gb HD, 2 units-ret
TivoHD-2tb, chip mod, 2 units
Premiere-2tb JMFS
Premiere4-2tb JMFS-ret
Roamio Plus-4tb Comm Img
philhu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:40 PM   #2826
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Record This View Post
Can*I copy over all of the files from my current internal drive to the new drive and somehow keep all of my recordings?

**Or am I going to lose my recordings no matter what?

***Also, do I need to format the drive before I install it, or are they plug and play?
*NO

** NO as stated in the post 2825, above.

*** YES

Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:31 PM   #2827
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Guys, that last question came from somebody who wants to do a 2TB or 3TB upgrade. So, saying they need to format either size drive before installing it is not the correct info.
Look at Teeps post again. He was answering "Yes" to the part of the question in red
Quote:
are they plug and play.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:02 PM   #2828
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

TC CLUB MEMBER
@lpwcomp: OK, nuked my incorrect assessment of the situation. My bad.