TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #61
gsjenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashHD View Post
superpatch and bufferhack don't copy "like for like" files.

They cannot do their work on the tivoapp file while the file is open (tivoapp running). The way they get around this is to move that open file from "tivoapp" to something else, like "tivoapp.original" or "tivoapp.tmp".
I never thought of that, but I did find the backup copy and deleted it first thing. I actually had to do that before I had enough room to copy the bufferhack patched version to /tvbin. At one point, I had deleted every copy of tivoapp and its ilk I could find, even causing all the links to tivoapp to break. I use Midnight Commander (old Norton Commander type clone) to telnet from my Linux machine to the DTivo and it easily shows all the programs that link to tivoapp. I'm lucky I didn't reboot before I found that I had a drive capacity problem. I did a ffind for tivoapp and nothing else showed up. But I am still down to only 443 blocks free on the root drive. Scary.

So, best I can still see is that I started with about 22 megs free, ended up with a patched tivoapp and no space free. I can't see where anything else has changed. I haven't found any more tivoapp.* files or tivoapp*.* files and I haven't found any files the same _size_ as the tivoapp file.

I probably did run superpatch a couple of times, so maybe I can find where superpatch puts its working copy and what it names it. I'll study on the code and see what I can find.

Thank you SO much for all the information, but I still can't find where the space went. But I haven't given up looking.

HDVR2 40 hours
Samsung SIR-S4080R 216 hours
Philips DSR7000 176 hours
gsjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #62
CrashHD
I am the me.

If you attempt to delete a file that is in use, that file disappears from the directory listing, but does not release the space it was taking on the partition. If you check your filesystem, it will find and correct that. I am not certain what exactly is the command to do that on the tivo, but I believe it is something like fsck or e2fsck.

How big are your root partitions? Older versions of mfstools had a bug that would shrink root partitions from 256MB down to 128MB.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #63
gsjenkins

Quote:
If you attempt to delete a file that is in use, that file disappears from the directory listing, but does not release the space it was taking on the partition. If you check your filesystem, it will find and correct that. I am not certain what exactly is the command to do that on the tivo, but I believe it is something like fsck or e2fsck.
Ahhhh. That might do it. Both commands show up in the system. fsck is for a Linux file system. e2fsck is for an ext2 filesystem, which the tivo filesystem seems to be.

Quote:
How big are your root partitions? Older versions of mfstools had a bug that would shrink root partitions from 256MB down to 128MB.
<mouth seriously hanging open> My root partition reports to be 124 megs and /var (different partition... you know) reports 124 megs. How in the HECK do I get back to 256 megs? I don't recall installing mfstools. Would that have been part of the hacking process when I zippered the drives YEARS ago? (Maybe 2006.)

First to check the drive, then maybe you can tell me how to undo the mfstools bug?

Thanks for the great info.

edited a little later.... Ewww. Can't umount the root drive and can't run e2fsck on a mounted drive.... hmmm. Didn't really want to remove the drive but I guess I can, if I have to. The shutdown command doesn't seem to be included in the filesystem, so 'shutdown -Fr now' isn't an option. I even touched /forcefsck at the top level and rebooted, but it doesn't seem to have run fsck on boot. Got any suggestions, other than pulling the drive?

HDVR2 40 hours

Last edited by gsjenkins : 06-30-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #64
CrashHD
I am the me.

there may be a way to trigger e2fsck as part of the boot process, but I don't know what it is.

I know I had this problem years ago, and I'm trying to remember how I resolved it.

Root is mounted read-only, so there should be nothing to stop you from using dd to copy it over to the alternate root partition, and then e2fsck that partition. Then (this one's a biggie) mount that partition, and edit it's fstab to be correct for whichever partition it is. Then flip the bootpage, and be careful to not do this again.

When you zippered the drive, did you install a fresh image? If so, that could be when the root partitions got shrunk. The only way I know to fix it is to backup again, and restore, again, using the -F option of a beta MFSlive CD that is no longer posted for download. It's a lot of hassle. The simpler solution is to manage your root partition a little more tightly. Even with a 128MB root partition, it should be possible to install all the common hacks and still use less than 2/3rds of the filesystem.

if you have the means to do so conveniently, a simpler way would be to pull the drive, and e2fsck it from your zipper disk, or an mfslive cd. It is simpler, if it's convenient to get to your drive, and you have a compatible pc available.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #65
gsjenkins

Quote:
there may be a way to trigger e2fsck as part of the boot process, but I don't know what it is.
There are a few ways for a standard Linux system, but none of them worked or they aren't commands available for the DTivo.

Quote:
if you have the means to do so conveniently, a simpler way would be to pull the drive, and e2fsck it from your zipper disk, or an mfslive cd. It is simpler, if it's convenient to get to your drive, and you have a compatible pc available.
Yeah, only about fifteen minutes to go the "pull the drive" route. I have everything I need to do that.

Thanks again for all the help.

HDVR2 40 hours
Old 07-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #66
zorro255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain 80s View Post
Actually, I have been monitoring the progress of tyftpd and will probably do some experimenting with it.

But I am not having a problem with mfs_ftp. If I manually install it, it is working great for me on 3 boxes. My question was really just about making a tar of the working folder and pushing that to a new build to save time. But, I only have one box left to do anyway.
In the directory where mfs_ftp directory is, run.
Code:
tar cvzf mfs_ftp.tgz mfs_ftp
This creates a tgz that can be moved to another tivo for easy reinstall.

On the new tivo in the directory where you want mfs_ftp to be installed, run.
Code:
tar xvzf mfs_ftp.tgz

zorro255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #67
Captain 80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro255 View Post
In the directory where mfs_ftp directory is, run.
Code:
tar cvzf mfs_ftp.tgz mfs_ftp
This creates a tgz that can be moved to another tivo for easy reinstall.

On the new tivo in the directory where you want mfs_ftp to be installed, run.
Code:
tar xvzf mfs_ftp.tgz
Yeah... did that. No problems like I said in my original post. It creates the mfs_ftp folder exactly like the one I created the tar from. But when I try to apply the patches I get the errors I listed.

Would still like to figure it out, but I am already done. 4 boxes running mfs_ftp perfectly. 3 on 6.4a with movieloader and 1 on 6.2a (so I can use tivoserver to load videos (mpg, avi, etc...) then import them on the 6.4a boxes.) Works great.

Seems though Showcases and Stars keep creeping back onto the 6.4a boxes. Any ideas?
Captain 80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #68
CrashHD
I am the me.

If you tar a working, properly patched installation, you don't need to apply the patches again when untarring on the next machine. The files contained in the tar are already patched, so effectively what you are doing here is trying to apply the patch twice. That will cause errors.

I have wished for some time now, that someone would distribute a tar of a working, properly patched mfs_ftp installation for Series2 machines. It is such a nightmare to patch and install that program to get it to run right.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #69
Captain 80s

Quote:
If you tar a working, properly patched installation, you don't need to apply the patches again when untarring on the next machine. The files contained in the tar are already patched, so effectively what you are doing here is trying to apply the patch twice. That will cause errors.

I have wished for some time now, that someone would distribute a tar of a working, properly patched mfs_ftp installation for Series2 machines. It is such a nightmare to patch and install that program to get it to run right.
OK. I see. When I did it before from a working tar, it didn't work. But it was probably another issue, because that was fairly early in my whole mfs_ftp installation career. That's why I thought I must need to still apply patches.

Last edited by Captain 80s : 07-03-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Captain 80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:24 AM   #70
hawkeye1991

I have a zippered HDVR2 with 6.2 I was trying to get to 6.4a

I got the slices and bought the slicer. when I try to use the slicer, I get this error message

TIVO1-bash# ./slicer 6.4a-01-2-151
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dynamic-link.h: 62: elf_get_dynamic_info: Assertion `! "bad dynamic tag"' failed!

Do you know what to make of it?

Thanks
hawkeye1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #71
hawkeye1991

Moved it over as binary. that solved the problem. Locals are back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye1991 View Post
I have a zippered HDVR2 with 6.2 I was trying to get to 6.4a

I got the slices and bought the slicer. when I try to use the slicer, I get this error message

TIVO1-bash# ./slicer 6.4a-01-2-151
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dynamic-link.h: 62: elf_get_dynamic_info: Assertion `! "bad dynamic tag"' failed!

Do you know what to make of it?

Thanks

hawkeye1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #72
mtc765

Slices

Would you mind telling me were to locate the slices for 6.4A, i have two HDVR2, one had the slices, all i needed to do was run ./slice....., but the other does not have the update. I'm not very good at command prompt stuff, and i cannot locate where the update might be stored, i can ftp and telnet into both boxes just don't know how to get the slices.

OK did some more reading, ./slicer 6.4a-01-2-151 -d, should get me the slices?

how long does this take? i get a "Connection to host lost" after about 5 min

thanks for any help

mike

Last edited by mtc765 : 09-19-2012 at 10:53 PM.
mtc765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:29 AM   #73
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtc765 View Post
Would you mind telling me were to locate the slices for 6.4A, i have two HDVR2, one had the slices, all i needed to do was run ./slice....., but the other does not have the update. I'm not very good at command prompt stuff, and i cannot locate where the update might be stored, i can ftp and telnet into both boxes just don't know how to get the slices
HDVR2 slices are here. I've never used the slicer, but this script documents how they are downloaded from dvrupgrade.com and loaded into mfs.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #74
mtc765

thanks
now its telling me in need to make room for the slice to happen. Any ideas on what to dump?

Question, if i have two HDVR2's can i somehow make an image of the one that is up to date and working and copy it to the other? might be safer than deleting stuff to make room for the slicer to work.

thanks again

mike
mtc765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #75
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtc765 View Post
thanks
now its telling me in need to make room for the slice to happen. Any ideas on what to dump?

Question, if i have two HDVR2's can i somehow make an image of the one that is up to date and working and copy it to the other? might be safer than deleting stuff to make room for the slicer to work.
It's hard to know what to delete without seeing what's on there. If nothing else, you can see if you have any large core files, tar files, log files, etc. on there that you don't need.

You can definitely make an image of one HDVR2 and copy it to the other. You'd need to do a "clear & delete everything" and re-authorize your access card on the recipient TiVo to make it work though.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #76
kyderr

DVR Upgrade is back online, but can you get the slices from them? I cannot get them via phone. I try and try. Anyone know were I can get 6.4a for a Samsung?
kyderr is offline   Reply With Quote