TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
rhain

Bad Tuning Adapter -- San Diego,CA

Just recently I have noticed that I cannot tune to my extra HBO and SHOWTIME channels, both 200 series and 1200 series channels. My trouble shooting has been limited to rebooting my Series 3 TiVo and the attached Tuning Adapter (TA).

It seems the TiVo recognizes the TA since it shows up in the menu when it is plugged in and it complains when I unplug the TA.

The reason I think I have a problem with the TA is because there is no green light on the front of the TA. Usually there is a glowing green light on the TA but it is no longer there. When I unplug the TA the green light comes back as a flashing green light but after 15-20 seconds the light disappears.

Has anybody else experienced something like this?

I have not called Cox San Diego yet as I just got around to trouble shooting this tonight and I do not have time to be on the phone with them tonight. I will probably call tomorrow but I wanted to check in here to see if anybody else has had a problem with their TA.

Thanks for the information.
140-Hour Branded Tivo (540)
Series 3 Upgraded to 1 Tera Byte Drive
rhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

I stopped using my TA a few years ago because of the constant re-booting issue, but I noticed over the weekend that the channels that once required the TA can now be tuned normally. I am in NJ. Give it a shot.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhain View Post
Just recently I have noticed that I cannot tune to my extra HBO and SHOWTIME channels, both 200 series and 1200 series channels. My trouble shooting has been limited to rebooting my Series 3 TiVo and the attached Tuning Adapter (TA).

It seems the TiVo recognizes the TA since it shows up in the menu when it is plugged in and it complains when I unplug the TA.

The reason I think I have a problem with the TA is because there is no green light on the front of the TA. Usually there is a glowing green light on the TA but it is no longer there. When I unplug the TA the green light comes back as a flashing green light but after 15-20 seconds the light disappears.

Has anybody else experienced something like this?

I have not called Cox San Diego yet as I just got around to trouble shooting this tonight and I do not have time to be on the phone with them tonight. I will probably call tomorrow but I wanted to check in here to see if anybody else has had a problem with their TA.

Thanks for the information.
If there is cox has an office close by; just take the ta in and swap it out yourself.
They should be able to authorize the replacement ta at the point of exchange. At least that's how it works for time warner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_HB View Post
but I noticed over the weekend that the channels that once required the TA can now be tuned normally.
That's probably because another subscriber that is on your node has requested the station.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

[/quote]That's probably because another subscriber that is on your node has requested the station.[/quote]

I thought that too. I had approx 10 stations that I would always need the TA for and they are now available all the time. I have now 'checked' them in the channel I receive list. I also have an MCE tuner attached and those same channels are also available there where they were not before.

It may be a fluke so I have to keep checking them regularly.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

When I get a TiVo/TA unsynced issue, power cycling both at the same time usually clears it up (until the next time the MSO sends an update to the TA).

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
That's probably because another subscriber that is on your node has requested the station.
You still need a TA for that, since the TA also feeds down to the TiVo what the actual SDV channel the station is on.

"Hey! I want to see this channel!" says the TiVo
"Sure, it's on XXX MHz" or "Nope, I can't get it" says the TA.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
LynnL999

Hrm. I'm not sure if this relates at all, but here in Orange County, Cox switched the output on the PlusPak channels (which included all the extra HBO & SHO channels) from mpg to h264. This codec is not compatible with the series 3 TiVos. You would have to verify this, though.

If this turns out to be your issue, TiVo may be willing to make you an especially good deal to upgrade to a Premiere.
LynnL999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
Beernutts

I don't know if this is still the case, but older versions of the TA (assuming Cisco TA) required it to be "powered on." So, make sure you press the power button on it if that's still the case.
Beernutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #9
rhain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnL999 View Post
Hrm. I'm not sure if this relates at all, but here in Orange County, Cox switched the output on the PlusPak channels (which included all the extra HBO & SHO channels) from mpg to h264. This codec is not compatible with the series 3 TiVos. You would have to verify this, though.

If this turns out to be your issue, TiVo may be willing to make you an especially good deal to upgrade to a Premiere.
Unless they recently made the change, I do not think this is the case as I was able to tune these channels a week or two ago.

I called COX Customer Service last night and explained I believed my TA had died since the Green Light was not longer visible on the front panel. As I said earlier, when I unplug the TA the TiVo recognizes that the TA was removed and when I plug the TA back in the green light flashes a couple of times and then goes away.

I knew that customer service was probably not going to be able to offer much assistance on the phone and that was the case; the offered to setup a service appointment. Since I do not get home until around 7:00 and my wife would not be able to explain the problem, I asked where the nearest Cox Store was and if I would be able to exchange the TA there. The customer service person gave me that information and that is what I am going to try this weekend.

As for the TA needing to be powered on, I will check that, but I think it is on when i plug it in be virtue of the TiVo recognizing the TA.

Thanks for the input.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhain View Post
I've seen this, although not recently. Try pressing the reset button on the front of the TA if the green light disappears.

It takes several minutes for the TA to boot up, during which time the green light will blink slowly. Then it will either go steady green, or to 6-blinks-then-pause cycles, which indicates the TA is ready but doesn't see a connection to the TiVo.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #11
Holazola

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnL999 View Post

DING (Light goes on) Hey! Thanks Lynn - I'm up in Santa Barbara and I ran across this thread while reading up on SDV, which is coming to our area in the next few weeks.

I'm having the exact same issue - lost my "Pluspak" channels on my Series3 a month or so ago, but not my Premiere. I thought it was a CC auth issue and spent quite a bit of time comparing and on the phone with Cox service, finally giving up. Frustrating, as it took forever to get them to authorize the Pluspak on my CC (it was bundled with the COX whole house DVR, but it has most of the HBO HDs that I was already paying for...)

Well, I suppose it's finally time to invest in a Premier 4 tuner box....
Holazola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #12
rhain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I've seen this, although not recently. Try pressing the reset button on the front of the TA if the green light disappears.

It takes several minutes for the TA to boot up, during which time the green light will blink slowly. Then it will either go steady green, or to 6-blinks-then-pause cycles, which indicates the TA is ready but doesn't see a connection to the TiVo.
Will try this tonight when I get home; I thought about a reset but never did look for the button to do it.

Thanks,
Old 02-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #13
rhain

Well, it looks like I have egg on my face! One of the previous poster said to try the reset button on the front of the TA so when I got home last night I looked for it and guess what I saw: A POWER BUTTON!!

I did not think the TA had a power button, and lo-and-behold, when I pushed it the green light came back on.

I have an idea that the cleaning personnel were cleaning the electronics and accidentally pushed the button.

When I powered the TA on, all of the channels I could not get started coming in. I am so HAPPY that I did not accept the Customer Service person's advice of sending a tech out; that would have been embarrassing.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #14
LynnL999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holazola View Post
DING (Light goes on) Hey! Thanks Lynn - I'm up in Santa Barbara and I ran across this thread while reading up on SDV, which is coming to our area in the next few weeks.

I'm having the exact same issue - lost my "Pluspak" channels on my Series3 a month or so ago, but not my Premiere. I thought it was a CC auth issue and spent quite a bit of time comparing and on the phone with Cox service, finally giving up. Frustrating, as it took forever to get them to authorize the Pluspak on my CC (it was bundled with the COX whole house DVR, but it has most of the HBO HDs that I was already paying for...)

Well, I suppose it's finally time to invest in a Premier 4 tuner box....
Glad I could help, even if it was a different person

It took a little doing, but Tivo eventually made me a good deal in light of Cox's changes that rendered my old HD unit less functional.
LynnL999 is offline   Reply With Quote