TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
pgoelz

Tivo Desktop and excessive post-boot PC hard drive activity

Don't know if this has been covered before... I tried several searches and didn't turn up anything.

Anyone else having issues with MASSIVE (like 3-4 minutes) of 100% PC hard drive activity after boot or resume from hibernation when Tivo Desktop is installed? I'm running Win7 Pro x64 / 4GB / 150GB free HD.

This has been driving me nuts for weeks. Disabling Superfetch and Windows search did not help. I even re-installed Windows thinking it was a Windows issue. That cured it, but apparently only because I didn't re-install Tivo Desktop (see below).

Today I reverted back to my original install (could not re-configre a couple programs easily) and set about trying to figure out what the problem was. I did a selective startup and to make a long story short, disabling and/or uninstalling Tivo Desktop was the cure. I noticed when it uninstalled that it also deleted a HUGE number of cache entries. Perhaps that was the issue... it was writing all those to the cache after boot. Not sure why it should... I have maybe 30 Tivo videos stored and they have remained unchanged for more than 6 months.

But the bottom line is that with Tivo desktop removed (or disabled in System Configuration), my hard drive is idling about 15 seconds after the last desktop widget loads. With Tivo installed, that would have been 3-4 minutes minimum. And it wasn't just excessive HD activity... it maxed out the HD and made anything else very sluggish and un-responsive.

Just thought I'd mention it because it was driving me nuts and the solution was not obvious.

Paul
pgoelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

My problem is the Tivo Desktop Server crashing.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=480527

I just don't think Windows 7 likes Tivo Desktop.

Go to the Home Media section and check out PyTivo and kmttg.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
pgoelz

More info..... I installed Tivo desktop on four different Windows 7 Pro x64 PCs and my Sig-O installed it on her laptop.

On three of my four PCs it has been flawless with no issues ever. On the fourth (detailed above), it caused massive hard drive activity and I uninstalled it.

On her laptop (Windows 7 Home x32), it crashed constantly with out of memory errors and she finally uninstalled it.

Somethin's sure not right but I don't know what. Anyone from Tivo care to elaborate?

Paul
Old 06-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
unitron

When Desktop is good it is very, very good, and when it is bad it is horrid.

Somewhere in preferences or server properties there's a "start server at startup" checkbox/uncheckbox and also there's a pause server button in there somewhere.

You might try playing with those.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:28 AM   #5
pgoelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
When Desktop is good it is very, very good, and when it is bad it is horrid.

Somewhere in preferences or server properties there's a "start server at startup" checkbox/uncheckbox and also there's a pause server button in there somewhere.

You might try playing with those.
Playing with them merely turns the server on and off...... when it works. On my desktop, the server often ignores the checkbox and remains running regardless of the state of the checkbox. Maybe that is a clue, but if so, to what?

Again, it is time for Tivo to weigh in here.

Paul
Old 06-14-2012, 06:48 AM   #6
HerronScott

Paul,

Tivo doesn't provide any direct support through this forum (note the "This site is not a part of Tivo, Inc." under the forum name).

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
pgoelz

Yeah, I know. Trouble is that they don't provide much useful support directly either. At least not where Tivo desktop is concerned... been there, done that, got the T-shirt

Paul
Old 06-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
HerronScott

I can only offer my personal experience where I have it running on 2 PC's with Vista 32-bit and 1 PC with Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit and I haven't had any issues with TiVo Desktop on any of them. I can't really comment on the hard drive activity level on reboot as we only reboot for the monthly Microsoft patches and it has not been an issue at least to the extent where I would notice it.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote