TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-14-2014, 08:57 PM   #1
Oldelpa

Roamio hard wiring

Have a wiring question. Bought a standard Roamio with the 4 tuners and love it! My first Tivo! Have decided to invest in a mini for the family room but hard wiring to the modem would be tough! I have used a Linksys repeater in the past to receive DirecTv's "On Demand" which requires a link to the modem so - can I assume that the Roamio would link to the mini?

The repeater has a hard wire port for an ethernet cable and acts as an extension of the modem (as I understand it). I called to order the Mini and in talking to sales about this he suggested I try one from Best Buy! Best Buy is out of them at our local store and the sales people act like tv is a new experience (the first saleswoman didn't know what a Tivo was exactly)!

Any help would be appreciated! Hope this makes sense! I would hate to order one and then pay shipping, etc., to send it back! Tom
Oldelpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:31 AM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

If you're wondering if you can connect the Mini to the repeater by ethernet, only way to know for sure if it will work is to try it. Wireless streaming to the Mini is very "your mileage may vary" and Tivo doesn't recommend it by default.

If it works, great. But there's always a chance it won't if the wireless network isn't robust enough.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:44 AM   #3
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

If there is coax in the location where you want to put the Mini, another choice would be a moca adapter... moca is basically ethernet over coax. Moca support is built into the mini
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #4
Oldelpa

Wow! The first problem is even finding one locally! They must be in high demand!

If and when I find one I'll try installation and post back! Maybe it'll be useful information to someone else with the same problem.

Thanks for the response! Tom
Old 06-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #5
Oldelpa

Hard wiring the Roamio into the repeater works fine so I'm going to assume the Mini will work! Will end up ordering direct from Tivo I'm sure!
Old 06-15-2014, 04:22 PM   #6
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldelpa View Post
Hard wiring the Roamio into the repeater works fine so I'm going to assume the Mini will work! Will end up ordering direct from Tivo I'm sure!
It'll work insofar as it'll connect to the service. The complication of wireless streaming is that TV broadcasts are 12-18 mbps. Many but not all wireless networks can handle it without buffering issues if there is a long distance, lots of floors/walls to pass through, or wireless interference from neighbors. That's why I say it's YMMV. But if the signal to the repeater is strong enough and it ends up working, then great.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 06-15-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:40 PM   #7
Oldelpa

Thanks BigJim! I think it'll work as it's pretty much a direct shot from the modem to the repeater through one wall! If it doesn't -- it'll be a lot of work but I'll go the moca route as Ignad suggested! Tom
Old 06-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #8
Oldelpa

No buffering issues with Netflix or Hulu Plus! Ordered the Mini direct from Tivo. I assume all I'll have to do is plug the mini into the modem? The modem will set about 6 ft away from the mini while the main unit is in another room!
Old 06-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #9
Oldelpa

Mini came today! NO trouble with connections, etc. Everything appears to be fine (Now I'm jinxed). Only thing I'm not thrilled about is the range of the remote! With the DirecTv remote I could control the tv and dvr from another room! The mini remote is real wimpy in this regard! Can anyone suggest a thread regarding this - I haven't been able to find much!
Old 06-20-2014, 01:40 AM   #10
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldelpa View Post
Mini came today! NO trouble with connections, etc. Everything appears to be fine (Now I'm jinxed). Only thing I'm not thrilled about is the range of the remote! With the DirecTv remote I could control the tv and dvr from another room! The mini remote is real wimpy in this regard! Can anyone suggest a thread regarding this - I haven't been able to find much!
If anything, people talk about how good the remote reception is on the mini, with being able to mount it behind a flat screen and it receives IR signals without having to buy the little extension cord that Tivo sells.

Try new batteries?

Like some folks, Im using the basic RF remote that comes with the Roamio with the RF receiver that you can get with the slide with my mini. That way, I dont have to point it in any particular direction, can use it under the covers, etc.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:06 PM   #11
Oldelpa

Ignad, thanks for the post back! Changed batteries and still, if I'm not in the room or pointing the remote into the room it doesn't work! Does the standard mini remote have some way of showing it's on RF? If the activity light is suppose to show red when using RF then all I'm getting is orange! Does the (tivo)tab + D change the setting to RF? I didn't understand "...the RF receiver you get with the slide with my mini". Does the Slide come with a receiver? I thought it was just a fancy remote!

I actually believe the remote is operating as it should because in order for the tv settings to work (on/off, volume) you have to point it directly at the tv while Tivo functions will work no matter which way the remote is pointed (except straight down) - as long as I am in the room!

Maybe I expect too much! With the DirecTv remote I could be in another room with a wall between me and the dvr and still control the dvr.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:20 PM   #12
BigJimOutlaw

The standard Mini remote is IR. It needs line of sight, or at least get hit by the IR's reflection off the wall(s).

What he's suggesting you do is get a Slide Pro remote (select the model for the Premiere/Mini so that you get a dongle included), and then use the Slide Pro with the Roamio, and use the dongle to use the basic Roamio remote with the Mini.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 06-20-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:38 PM   #13
Oldelpa

Hello, BigJim! I think I got it! Do I understand right - the Slide Pro comes in either G or N with the N being around $80! I'm not up on this stuff but I know the wifi will revert to the lower speed mode if a G appliance is inserted into an N system. Or doesn't the remote affect the wifi? I've spent so much on antennas, grounding, bonding, cables, tivo's - I'm way past my budget so any bucks saved is worthwhile! I've considered going the NextGen IR extender route for $34.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:37 AM   #14
BigJimOutlaw

The Slide Pro is a remote, $50 on tivo.com. It doesn't use Wifi, but it uses RF just like the Roamio remote, so it doesn't need line of sight.

https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/tivoslidepro

1. Buy the Slide Pro version for the Premiere/Mini (this version includes an RF dongle.)
2. Instead of using the dongle with the Slide Pro, connect the dongle to the Mini and pair your current Roamio remote to the Mini. (pairing instructions included.)
3. Pair the Slide Pro to the Roamio. (dongle not needed since RF is built into the Roamio.)

Then both your Mini and Roamio will have RF remotes.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:06 AM   #15
Oldelpa

Now that makes sense! Thanks BigJim! Tom