TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-01-2013, 04:55 AM   #331
jradosh
Newlywed

Everything that Jen said.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #332
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Another who despised the format. I would have been happy either way, or even with Sheldon for that matter. I would gladly eat either Brooke or Kristen's food.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #333
deli99

Looks like the format of the finale won't be happening again.
deli99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #334
dbranco

Agree with what everyone has said about the format of the finale, and am glad that Tom got the message.

Jen said that she wanted this win to prove to herself that her many wins during the season weren't just because Kristen left so early. She's a great chef, but there's no doubt in my mind that she would've had far fewer 'wins' had Kristen still been there throughout the rest of the competition.

eta: I meant Brooke (not Jen).

Last edited by dbranco : 03-02-2013 at 01:28 PM.
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #335
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by deli99 View Post
Looks like the format of the finale won't be happening again.

sushikitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #336
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Add me to the camp that didn't like the format of the finale.

Perhaps if they'd have left the judging to the end, it could have been better. I also think that the pressure of cooking for a table of six or eight would be better than for 160 people!

Glad Kristen was able to get redemption. After all, she was the only one booted off because of her integrity rather than a lack of cooking skills.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:03 AM   #337
grey ghost

I don't like the whole "Last Chance Kitchen" thing. I think the ones who survived the whole way should be the last 2 standing.
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #338
pmyers

for the record, I believe they were cooking for 38 people. I heard that number at least 3 times during the episode...not a 160. That being said...the finale format was horrible.

We had 10 minutes left and I could tell by the "score" who was going to win just because there wasn't enough time left to show anymore courses.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #339
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
for the record, I believe they were cooking for 38 people. I heard that number at least 3 times during the episode...not a 160. That being said...the finale format was horrible.

We had 10 minutes left and I could tell by the "score" who was going to win just because there wasn't enough time left to show anymore courses.
From Gayle Simmon's blog at http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/seas...has-that-magic

Quote:
Usually, our chefs cook for a table of anywhere from eight to 20, but this year they were cooking for 160, an enormous task.
so I think the 160 is accurate. I still don't understand why they had them cook for everyone since the audience didn't have any input into the voting. Their food could have been a hot mess, but if the judges were fed good plates, it wouldn't have mattered in the judging.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #340
pmyers

If true, 160 would be absolutly stupid! Nothing would be hot, crisp, or together by the time you got all of them plated. The pure amount of food needed to do so would be huge. To me...it didn't look like 160 servings.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #341
etexlady

I really felt bad for Brooke. I like Kristen but it just does not seem right that someone that gets eliminated can swoop in at the last minute and compete for the win. Kristen should not have gone when she did and I think the show knew that. Sheldon seems like a nice person but I have a real aversion to guys who wear those skullcaps...to me they look so sweaty and nasty but that's my problem. Hated, hated, hated the finale format.
etexlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #342
justen_m

I've just gotten around to reading the blogs. I didn't realize in the finale that Brooke and Kristen were both _required_ to use scallops in the 2nd course and red snapper in the 4th course. They didn't have a choice. Was this mentioned at all during the episode on tv? If it was, I don't remember it. It wasn't coincidence they were using the same protein.

Gail's blog states they were cooking for 160, but it didn't look like that to me. Look at the dishes as they were being plated. They didn't even have room to plate near that many dishes. It looked nearer to 40 plates, max. I seem to remember hearing a number around 40, too, probably before Kristen said that she'd only been cooking for ten people for the past two years, but either way, 40 or 160 was more than she was accustomed to.

Maybe I should watch the episode again and pay closer attention.

[edit] I too hated the format. I am glad that Kristen won. I thought she was unfairly booted when Josie should have gotten chopped instead.

On further thought, it is possible they plated for the judges, past winners and families at one time, and then plated up three more rounds of 40 plates for the rest of the diners, and this was just edited out.

One blog (Hugh's) mentioned they got live, in-the-shell scallops for round two. I don't remember see anybody shuck (or whatever it is called for scallops) the scallops.

Last edited by justen_m : 03-03-2013 at 04:59 PM.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #343
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
One blog (Hugh's) mentioned they got live, in-the-shell scallops for round two. I don't remember see anybody shuck (or whatever it is called for scallops) the scallops.
I thought I recalled seeing a brief scene/shot of someone from one of the two teams shucking a scallop. But I don't have it on the TiVo anymore to re-watch.

jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #344
justen_m

Re-watching... Apparently I wasn't paying close enough attention to the details on my first viewing...

Padma states less than one minute in that the chefs are preparing five courses for 160 diners plus the judges.

A few minutes later, Brooke states that they must use scallops for the 2nd course and red snapper for the 4th.

[edit] At 14 minutes Kuniko (team Brooke), and then Sheldon (team Kristen), are dealing with the scallops.

I really must have been sleeping the first time I watched this episode.

I've been watching them plate. The most plates I've seen on screen at once has been 48 or so. I counted and extrapolated to account for those off camera. Unless there were whole tables that I couldn't see.

Last edited by justen_m : 03-03-2013 at 08:21 PM.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #345
Tracy
Truly

I was pulling for Brooke but wasn't sad to see Kristen win. It does bug me when someone who was eliminated comes back and wins, though. Maybe if Last Chance Kitchen were a part of the show, I would have been more invested in Kristen.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #346
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
...Maybe if Last Chance Kitchen were a part of the show, I would have been more invested in Kristen.
I agree with this. By putting it on the web we (the people who don't watch LCK) don't get a sense of how much butt Kristen supposedly kicked and earned her spot back. AFAIK she could have gotten lucky against some bad chefs and lucked backed into the show.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #347
JoBeth66
Temp

I'm happy Kristen won, but like everyone else, hated the format. I haven't seen anyone post anywhere that they LIKED the format. And yeah, we knew after the 3rd course that Kristen was winning, because there was no time left for anything else. And way too much filler.

I think we watched the whole show in less than 20 minutes.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #348
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I liked the idea of the format, but the execution was horrible. Even the filler was poor and didn't give us any useful information about the contestants like it normally does.
TAsunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #349
jbiggs19

Was bummed Sheldon didnt get to the final final and the new format was ok. Kinda cool Iron Chef style but did lack the polished editing.
jbiggs19 is offline   Reply With Quote