TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
jdmatl

Question Tivo2 Dual Tuner work like a T2 Single tuner wtih Cablebox (no clearQuam)

Comcast is making channels 2-13 encrypted in my area. I have a TS2 Dual tuner with a STB attached. When comcast went from allowing 2-99 to 2-12 in clearQuam, the DT still wanted to use the 2nd tuner to record stuff on 13 and Higher even though I had told it these channels are "box".

Now with me LOSING channels 2-12 (clearQuam is going away), the 2nd tuner is worthless, or is?

Anyway I can record OTA HD using a 3rd party box and antenna. I have the comcast set top box being controlled via serial port. Good old motorola box.

If the old S2DT can't control two boxes (probably can't due to age) if I set every channel to "box" will that work?

Or is there another way to do this. I have over 50 season passes and don't want to re-enter them. I can see the DT trying to record network TV 2-12 on the box and on the built-in tuner.

Thanks
jdmatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

No, the series 2 DT cannot use antenna. Re-run guided setup to tell it to use the cable box via video inputs and no analog from coax. Then, it will not try to record from the coax.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmatl View Post
Comcast is making channels 2-13 encrypted in my area. I have a TS2 Dual tuner with a STB attached. When comcast went from allowing 2-99 to 2-12 in clearQuam, the DT still wanted to use the 2nd tuner to record stuff on 13 and Higher even though I had told it these channels are "box".

Now with me LOSING channels 2-12 (clearQuam is going away), the 2nd tuner is worthless, or is?

Anyway I can record OTA HD using a 3rd party box and antenna. I have the comcast set top box being controlled via serial port. Good old motorola box.

If the old S2DT can't control two boxes (probably can't due to age) if I set every channel to "box" will that work?

Or is there another way to do this. I have over 50 season passes and don't want to re-enter them. I can see the DT trying to record network TV 2-12 on the box and on the built-in tuner.

Thanks
Will it let you repeat Guided Setup and specify both a cable box and a satellite receiver, at least one of which feeds the TiVo's RF input a channel 3 or 4 signal?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
jdmatl

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
No, the series 2 DT cannot use antenna. Re-run guided setup to tell it to use the cable box via video inputs and no analog from coax. Then, it will not try to record from the coax.
I have never re-run the guided setup before.

Does this "nuke" my current season passes and such?

I have the STB setup using its RCA L/R/Video out jacks running into the DT to get audio & video from the STB into the tivo.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:

I have the STB setup using its RCA L/R/Video out jacks running into the DT to get audio & video from the STB into the tivo.
I wouldn't recommend repeating all of GS if not necessary.

You could try settings, channels, channel list, press enter to say it's the wrong list, which will take you through some of GS.

Your recordings should be okay, stuff like default recording quality, et cetera, should be left untouched, SPs might need to be checked individually to make sure they know where on the new channel list to find the particular show.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
cannonz

Quote:

You won't lose anything. http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/132
cannonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
Moving from clear QAM to encrypted has nothing do with it. It is the conversion to digital that is the issue. S2s have analog tuners and cannot record digital channels directly. QAM is digital, "clear QAM" is just unencrypted digital. Obviously, your Comcast still had a few remaining analog channels which they are now getting rid of.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #8
jdmatl

Thanks guys for all the help. I will "remove the old analog tuner".

I have decided to get a homerunHD Dual Tuner from silicondust to record the digital channels to divx that can stream to the tivo.

http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/atsc/

It will also record OTA HD and works with all the major media servers, beyondtv, mythtv, win7 media center. Pretty slick product.