TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #31
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMidniteBombr View Post
I only have the "bad" 1TB drive which means I can't clone it exactly. I just ordered a WD20EURS from amazon and will be using it to replace the 1TB drive.

If I use UBCD to diagnose the "bad" drive, which version should I use? Windows or Linux? Does it matter to the drive being diagnosed? I don't want to take a chance on the diagnosing software to write something to the "bad" drive that would make it totally unusable in a TiVo.
When you boot with the UBCD cd, it loads from the cd and bypasses loading anything from the Windows drive altogether. Windows doesn't know the PC is on.

There will be a menu.

You choose hard drive.

There will be more menus.

You choose diagnostics.

There will be choices.

For the WD20EURS (which you should do the long test on before putting it into service just to be sure it's okay), you'll choose the newer version of the WD.

For the 1TB, after you've got it copied to the 2TB (in case it's fixing to go bad on you and quit), you choose according to what brand it is.

Those are non-destructive tests.

I've got someone else testing to see if a TCD652160 running version 11.0k of the TiVo software (the latest and probably last ever version for the S3 platform) can be "embiggened" onto a 2TB with just WinMFS, skipping having to use jmfs altogether.

In your case though, if that 1TB has limited life left, maybe letting jmfs "Xerox" it (with what I assume are 15 partitions as a result of the previous upgrade adding a 3rd MFS pair), and then add a single 16th Media partition to fill the rest of the space would be the best way to proceed, but only after the WD20 passes the long test, since the upgrade might be a one-shot deal, depending on the health of that 1TB.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #32
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Thanks Unitron. You've been a big help.

I received the WD20 today and I'm going to start the diagnostics on it ASAP.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #33
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

crap. it doesn't look like I'll be able to diagnose the new hard drive. I don't have a computer with SATA connections. my desktop is an old model that uses IDE drives. that leaves my laptop. With it, I can only connect the SATA drive via usb. Unfortunately, UBCD doesn't recognize drives connected via USB. I guess I'll just clone the old 1TB drive and hope for the best.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #34
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Wonderful... after about 20 hours of copying the 1TB drive over to the new 2TB drive, I am having the exact same problems with my new drive as I did with the old one. I have had to reboot it no less than 3 times after it totally freezes on me. No response from commands from the remote. Not even the amber LED indicating a received command.

I had zero problems when I was using the 500GB drive.

I guess the only option is to copy the 500GB drive to the new 2TB drive.

Is there any way that I can preserve the recordings that were copied onto the 2TB drive from the 1TB? There are several on there that I would really like to keep.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #35
unitron

Quote:
Wonderful... after about 20 hours of copying the 1TB drive over to the new 2TB drive, I am having the exact same problems with my new drive as I did with the old one. I have had to reboot it no less than 3 times after it totally freezes on me. No response from commands from the remote. Not even the amber LED indicating a received command.

I had zero problems when I was using the 500GB drive.

I guess the only option is to copy the 500GB drive to the new 2TB drive.

Is there any way that I can preserve the recordings that were copied onto the 2TB drive from the 1TB? There are several on there that I would really like to keep.
Is copying from the 1TB still possible at all?

Are there any recordings on the 2TB other than the ones copied over from the 1TB?

Have you tried putting the 500 back in and running it for a day or so to be absolutely sure that the problem is not somewhere other than the 1TB or the 2TB?

Old 02-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #36
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Is copying from the 1TB still possible at all?

Are there any recordings on the 2TB other than the ones copied over from the 1TB?

Have you tried putting the 500 back in and running it for a day or so to be absolutely sure that the problem is not somewhere other than the 1TB or the 2TB?
I copied the 1TB onto the 2TB drive and haven't put it (1TB) back into the TiVo to see if it still works. But I'm guessing that it could be used again as a source to copy.

No new recordings on the 2TB drive. It was trying to record some shows from that were already on the To Do List but those were interrupted by having to reboot the machine. I deleted the partial recordings.

I have been running the 500GB drive since Wednesday or Thursday. I pulled it back out earlier this even to install the new 2TB drive. To my knowledge there were no problems with the 500GB drive.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:43 AM   #37
unitron

Quote:
I copied the 1TB onto the 2TB drive and haven't put it (1TB) back into the TiVo to see if it still works. But I'm guessing that it could be used again as a source to copy.

No new recordings on the 2TB drive. It was trying to record some shows from that were already on the To Do List but those were interrupted by having to reboot the machine. I deleted the partial recordings.

I have been running the 500GB drive since Wednesday or Thursday. I pulled it back out earlier this even to install the new 2TB drive. To my knowledge there were no problems with the 500GB drive.

Okay, let me think about it for a while, maybe I'll come up with something.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #38
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

I've started another thread to try to get a few more minds working on this. Please feel free post suggestions in both threads. I need all the help that I can get.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #39
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

For anyone that may be looking at this thread for help, more information on the problem I'm having may be found in this thread.

9/11/01... Never Forget.