TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-11-2012, 10:07 PM   #61
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I will not blast him... Some people are uncomfortable with that large of a one time investment - and I am a huge proponenent of living within your means.

If you cannot afford it, you cannot afford it... Period / Stop.

You just need to understand that with lifetime you have immediate equity in the product near equal to the the cost of the lifetime fee. If you don't want it, sell it and recoup your money.

With a monthly service you never gain any equity in the unit. It will cost more to ship it then you get in resale value. Might as well toss it in the garbage.

Sorry if reality hurts.
I understand it. I also understand the time value of money calculation, and I am better off doing other things with $400 than giving it to Tivo all at once. Additionally, even with paying Tivo every month, I still come out $29 better than sticking with DirecTV, so I am at peace with my "ill-considered" decision.

-Ted
Old 05-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #62
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
Is it safe to add a 3tb harddrive without playready problems?
Hard drive upgrades shouldn't affect PlayReady based on my experience. I swap them out all the time without borking PlayReady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Really close to being right, but it's not installing one item that puts it over the edge, it's an average of 3 components weighted being changed that triggers that "I need to reactivate" status, motherboard replacement because of all the subsystems usually does it, CPU and NIC are the other two with more weight in the average, memory has almost no weight. There's a bit more to the story other than the poster saying "just changing the memory" that would force reactivation and DRM issues.
I do recall that a minimum number of upgrades will trigger this issue. I have seen it occur with memory swaps, but it was usually in conjunction with a CPU change as well. Perhaps the act of installing a new CPU and then reinstalling the old one uses up two of the three upgrades before it takes a dump.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #63
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbluesfan74 View Post
Uh Oh Ted. Prepare to get blasted by all the geniuses who think we are shortsighted by thinking this way.
Shortsighted means not being able to see the long view, that's all. If you're not sure that you want to keep Tivo or can't pay the freight for lifetime then fine, pay monthly. All we're saying is that it doesn't make good financial sense to do so for anyone intending to keep the box.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #64
HerronScott

Quote:
I just upgrade the memory on my computer and it broke playready microsofts drm program. any hardwear changes brakes the drm forceing a reinstall of windows. I think even a harddrive change will brake windows drm forceing a reinstall of windows.

It took me about 2 hours to fix the playready problem on my computer.
If i had a family i would go with the tivo. I still have my tivo running just incase i give up on wmc
You should not have had to reinstall windows to fix this issue. From this thread looks like stop the Windows Media Receiver service and allow it to update after the change or run Microsoft's ResetDRM tool. There's also a manual fix posted as well.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/....php?f=5&t=275

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #65
tootal2

I did this to fix it. but i could not find HKLM\Software\Microsoft in regedit. but it was fixed without doing that

a. Uninstall PlayReady from the 'Programs and Features'
b. Enable the explorer to show hidden files and folders. To do this go to Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View tab > Show hidden files, folders and drivers
c. Go to %ProgramData%\Microsoft\ and delete the PlayReady folder.
d. Go to %ProgramData%\Microsoft\ and delete the DRM folder.
e. Go to %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\DRM and delete all files and folders underneath (don't delete the DRM directory itself)
f. Open the registry with elevated privileges. To do so, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt and then point to “Run as administrator”. In the command prompt that opens, type regedit.exe.
g. Go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft and delete the DRM key.
h. Run the ResetDRM tool. See http://www.cetoncorp.com/support/ind...ayready-issues
i. Restart the computer.
j. Run Windows Media Center setup again
k. Run the PlayReady install from inside Media Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
You should not have had to reinstall windows to fix this issue. From this thread looks like stop the Windows Media Receiver service and allow it to update after the change or run Microsoft's ResetDRM tool. There's also a manual fix posted as well.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/....php?f=5&t=275

Scott

tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #66
Chris Gerhard

If I couldn't pay for lifetime service, I would just do without TiVo until I could. TiVo isn't a necessity although it is a great product to my way of thinking but it sure isn't worth $15/month to me. I can't earn $15 a month on a $400 investment, never have, probably never will but even if I could, it would be taxable income and the result would still be lifetime is a better option than monthly.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #67
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Shortsighted means not being able to see the long view, that's all. If you're not sure that you want to keep Tivo or can't pay the freight for lifetime then fine, pay monthly. All we're saying is that it doesn't make good financial sense to do so for anyone intending to keep the box.
Well, that may be a bit strong. The decision doesn't rest solely on intent, even if one can readily afford the up-front payment. It's also a bit of a gamble. Even if one intends to keep the unit for at least 36 months, it doesn't prevent the box from going up in flames 2 days after the warranty expires, or being stolen, or being unexpectedly obsoleted in 12 months. That said, I did choose to get PLS on four of my TiVos, only choosing monthly service on one whose MSD brought the cost down to $6.95 a month, and which I was not as certain I would keep as the other boxes.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:25 PM   #68
davefred99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
If I couldn't pay for lifetime service, I would just do without TiVo until I could. TiVo isn't a necessity although it is a great product to my way of thinking but it sure isn't worth $15/month to me. I can't earn $15 a month on a $400 investment, never have, probably never will but even if I could, it would be taxable income and the result would still be lifetime is a better option than monthly.
It seems to me that a lot of folks keep quoting the lifetime fee @ $400.00 when in fact the current first box lifetime fee is actually $499.00 only it is $399.00 for secondary boxes. Now many of you may have found some sort of discount but $400.00 is not the everyday Joe consumer Fee. On top of that there is a $99 to $399 up front fee for the Tivo Box itself depending on the model you order. So there is a substantial up front cost of ownership to get into the Tivo Game. To truly look at the cost of the Tivo & Service you have to add it all up and then divide it by the expected life cycle of the Box. It could be 1yr,3yrs,5yrs or more but it is only the lifetime of the Box. If you get lucky and say 2yrs from your original purchase you can sell it for 1/2 of the original total cash outlay then great but if it dies before then its all lost.

Odds say that if you intend stay with Tivo 2 to 3 yrs it makes more sense to go with the lifetime deal. Where I see a problem is that I predict that Ceton and perhaps other companies are going to put a hurt on TIVO because they are introducing a product that will have a built in customer base of many more times the size of Tivo's customer base. The problem with Media Center in the past is it was based on a PC and not an appliance so it was not as stable. They are also introducing a Media Extender that will be is not a game box like the Xbox 360's now used by MCE. Tivo will surely make there rumored IP extenders available to compete but there Service fee will have to be lower than it is now to compete because the Fee for the Ceton will be built into the price via the huge market share that Microsoft has in its already established licensing fees already paid in the Operating system.

Of course all of this is speculation and any choice is a gamble but if if the Ceton comes to market at a Price point which I believe will be lower than the 4 tuner Tivo + lifetime sub then Tivo will have trouble competing.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:52 AM   #69
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I have to say - if your just getting into the stand alone DVR market, look at what is out there. Big picture = not much.

Consider if TiVo didn't offer a monthly subscription. They would charge a flat fee based on what they think is a fair price for the market.
$650 (cost of the current Premiere w/lifetime) for a computer that records TV is the average price, I would think.
Try to build your own HTPC DVR yourself from scratch. Case + power supply + motherboard + processor + memory + video card + hard drive + tuner card(s) + operating software, etc.
I'd bet the costs would be comparible if you go with minimum specs.

Therefore the only decision left is, do you value the services that TiVo has to offer?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:19 AM   #70
davefred99

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I have to say - if your just getting into the stand alone DVR market, look at what is out there. Big picture = not much.

Consider if TiVo didn't offer a monthly subscription. They would charge a flat fee based on what they think is a fair price for the market.
$650 (cost of the current Premiere w/lifetime) for a computer that records TV is the average price, I would think.
Try to build your own HTPC DVR yourself from scratch. Case + power supply + motherboard + processor + memory + video card + hard drive + tuner card(s) + operating software, etc.
I'd bet the costs would be comparible if you go with minimum specs.

Therefore the only decision left is, do you value the services that TiVo has to offer?
If you read the very first post in this thread you would see that I am not a rookie to the Stand alone DVR Market. Infact I have owned a Tivo before when Direct Tv offered them. For the Past 5 or so years I have used both Sage TV & Now I also have a Verizon Fios MultiRoom DVR. I also have dabled with MCE mostly on my laptop since it came loaded with Win7 Premium.

I know full well what it costs to build an HTPC and it is not much anymore as even the most modest Motherboard & CPU combos come with HD capable integrated graphics that are more than up to the task. This was not the case a few years back but today's hardware is more than up to the task of a DVR/HTPC duties.

You might not also have picked up on the fact that I already own 1 Clear Quam HDHR dual network tuner & 1 of the new 3 tuner HDHR-Primes. So just like recycling used Tivo boxes I have a lot of the stuff already to recycle and rebuild a decent MCE system. However I am more interested in seeing what the New Ceton DVR has to offer.

There is no end to the number of threads that tout Tivo vs MCE vs everything else. Each of us has to decide what works best for ourselves. I would never expect to come here On a Tivo Forum and hear much talk touting any other product but I am not one of the sheep or lemmings who just follows the leader. Tivo is a fine product, I just do not like the idea of paying a fee or monthly subscription and the up front costs to purchase what I would want in Tivo (an XL4 @ $399.00 + $499.00 Lifetime sub= $898.00) is more than I want to pay and more than It would cost to build a similar MCE setup. Again I believe the 6 tuner Ceton will cost less plus they will have there extenders available out of the gate with no further monthly fees per additional box.

The biggest issue with Tivo for me is that in order to have a multi-room setup you must use multiple Tivo boxes and pay multiple monthly of lifetime sub fees. If the fee were minimal it would be a non issue but @ $12.99 a month or $399.00 for an lifetime second sub it is just not acceptable to me. If Tivo comes out with a low cost consumer IP extender box solution then it might be OK, But only if the Sub fee is free or very nominal.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:38 AM   #71
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefred99 View Post
The biggest issue with Tivo for me is that in order to have a multi-room setup you must use multiple Tivo boxes and pay multiple monthly of lifetime sub fees. If the fee were minimal it would be a non issue but @ $12.99 a month or $399.00 for an lifetime second sub it is just not acceptable to me. If Tivo comes out with a low cost consumer IP extender box solution then it might be OK, But only if the Sub fee is free or very nominal.
TiVo is coming out with a consumer IP extention box (expected late this year, I believe), but it will only work with the Premiere platform from what I understand.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #72
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefred99 View Post
It seems to me that a lot of folks keep quoting the lifetime fee @ $400.00 when in fact the current first box lifetime fee is actually $499.00 only it is $399.00 for secondary boxes. Now many of you may have found some sort of discount but $400.00 is not the everyday Joe consumer Fee. On top of that there is a $99 to $399 up front fee for the Tivo Box itself depending on the model you order. So there is a substantial up front cost of ownership to get into the Tivo Game. To truly look at the cost of the Tivo & Service you have to add it all up and then divide it by the expected life cycle of the Box. It could be 1yr,3yrs,5yrs or more but it is only the lifetime of the Box. If you get lucky and say 2yrs from your original purchase you can sell it for 1/2 of the original total cash outlay then great but if it dies before then its all lost.

Odds say that if you intend stay with Tivo 2 to 3 yrs it makes more sense to go with the lifetime deal. Where I see a problem is that I predict that Ceton and perhaps other companies are going to put a hurt on TIVO because they are introducing a product that will have a built in customer base of many more times the size of Tivo's customer base. The problem with Media Center in the past is it was based on a PC and not an appliance so it was not as stable. They are also introducing a Media Extender that will be is not a game box like the Xbox 360's now used by MCE. Tivo will surely make there rumored IP extenders available to compete but there Service fee will have to be lower than it is now to compete because the Fee for the Ceton will be built into the price via the huge market share that Microsoft has in its already established licensing fees already paid in the Operating system.

Of course all of this is speculation and any choice is a gamble but if if the Ceton comes to market at a Price point which I believe will be lower than the 4 tuner Tivo + lifetime sub then Tivo will have trouble competing.
The discount code is PLSR and is well-known to anyone willing to spend a little time to research. Yes, this excludes Joe Six-Pack but that's not you, right?

Ceton, Whiteman, etc. DVRs are all vaporware at this point, and even if they are released will not have the name recognition of Tivo in the market. Therefore, the competition that Tivo gets will be minimal at best (see: Moxi, which supposedly shipped around 5k units total).

And again, for the umpteenth time - you will get back most if not all of the price you pay for lifetime in resale value because of that Tivo brand and the value that folks place on lifetime, so essentially you get service for close to free vs. paying monthly. And even if you don't intend to sell the box w/lifetime, monthly is just money down the drain after a couple of years.

Yes, there is a slight risk that your Tivo will develop a motherboard, tuner, or other hard-to-fix fault if you invest in lifetime, but the vast majority of issues are with the hard drive which is easily replaced. And Tivo has been pretty good at replacing dead boxes with refurbs for $150 after warranty expires, lifetime transfer included.

Last edited by slowbiscuit : 05-13-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #73
tootal2

Ceton, Whiteman are not vaporware since the will still work even if ceton or whiteman goes out of buessness since they get there program info form microsoft

Quote:
The discount code is PLSR and is well-known to anyone willing to spend a little time to research. Yes, this excludes Joe Six-Pack but that's not you, right?

Ceton, Whiteman, etc. DVRs are all vaporware at this point, and even if they are released will not have the name recognition of Tivo in the market. Therefore, the competition that Tivo gets will be minimal at best (see: Moxi, which supposedly shipped around 5k units total).

And again, for the umpteenth time - you will get back most if not all of the price you pay for lifetime in resale value because of that Tivo brand and the value that folks place on lifetime, so essentially you get service for close to free vs. paying monthly. And even if you don't intend to sell the box w/lifetime, monthly is just money down the drain after a couple of years.

Yes, there is a slight risk that your Tivo will develop a motherboard, tuner, or other hard-to-fix fault if you invest in lifetime, but the vast majority of issues are with the hard drive which is easily replaced. And Tivo has been pretty good at replacing dead boxes with refurbs for $150 after warranty expires, lifetime transfer included.

tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #74
SullyND
L: 14-49

Quote:
Ceton, Whiteman are not vaporware since the will still work even if ceton or whiteman goes out of buessness
That has nothing to do with Vaporware.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware
SullyND is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #75
mr.unnatural

Ceton already has a viable product on the market that's been pretty successful and has been followed to market by other similar offerings. You will see the Ceton Q at some point in the near future. These guys are as much enthusiasts as they are businessmen.

Whiteman's product is still pretty much a work in progress and I'm not even sure it's been released to the public yet.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #76
swerver

Does WMC or any other htpc interface offer the integrated search features tivo has? I've been on this hunt for entertainment nirvana for a while now and tried several htpc front ends. Recently got the tivo premiere on woot (immediately upgraded hdd to 2TB, ahh...) and the search is the killer app, to me. No longer do I have to think "lets watch something on netflix", just have to think about what I want to watch and the tivo does the rest. So far the only features it's lacking are local video streaming and web browser. And I'm not entirely sure that's even true, yet. I'll keep my htpc with xbmc for those, for now. I'm a long time rhapsody user so that's just another great feature that even an htpc couldn't really do right, in my experience. (tho for some reason when I search for "truckfighters" it crashes the rhapsody app every time? all other searches thus far have worked fine, maybe someone else can try this? I know they are awesome, but...)

I did like the high configurability of htpc front ends, like in mce you can basically reorganize everything, I could make a strip with all my favorite bits, but given all the tivo does, I almost don't care. It does take a lot of time and tweaking to get that type of high customization working well, which gets old. And then for some reason, it would always reset to default and I had to run some script to fix it, lame, WAF in the crapper. Then there's the ceton, pretty fussy, hello waiting forever to tune after wake... WAF dump. The comcast rep in Redmond told me on demand should be rolling out here sometime this summer, which I'll take to mean some time this year, icing on the cake. I have a feeling lifetime is in my (28 day) future. Don't forget to use promo code PLSR to knock $100 off that. And thus far, WAF is off the chart compared to any of my htpc configurations.

And that's my "tivo honeymoon" post! Now I've got some reading to do on local network video streaming possibilities.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #77
swerver

How about this recommendation for OP - get a refurbed premiere for cheap and subscribe for 1 month, total cost around $100 or less. If you are not hooked by the end of the 30 days, sell it, eat the loss (well under $100, probably closer to $0 if you can get a good deal) and then you won't have to wonder any more. If you are hooked, do the same and upgrade to the XL4, or get the XL4 and keep the other one as your 2nd room box. May even be able to work some additional discounts that way since you get better deals if you are buying a second box, doesn't matter if you immediately sell the first one after doing so. My 2 cents.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #78
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Does WMC or any other htpc interface offer the integrated search features tivo has? I've been on this hunt for entertainment nirvana for a while now and tried several htpc front ends. Recently got the tivo premiere on woot (immediately upgraded hdd to 2TB, ahh...) and the search is the killer app, to me. No longer do I have to think "lets watch something on netflix", just have to think about what I want to watch and the tivo does the rest. So far the only features it's lacking are local video streaming and web browser. And I'm not entirely sure that's even true, yet. I'll keep my htpc with xbmc for those, for now. I'm a long time rhapsody user so that's just another great feature that even an htpc couldn't really do right, in my experience. (tho for some reason when I search for "truckfighters" it crashes the rhapsody app every time? all other searches thus far have worked fine, maybe someone else can try this? I know they are awesome, but...)

I did like the high configurability of htpc front ends, like in mce you can basically reorganize everything, I could make a strip with all my favorite bits, but given all the tivo does, I almost don't care. It does take a lot of time and tweaking to get that type of high customization working well, which gets old. And then for some reason, it would always reset to default and I had to run some script to fix it, lame, WAF in the crapper. Then there's the ceton, pretty fussy, hello waiting forever to tune after wake... WAF dump. The comcast rep in Redmond told me on demand should be rolling out here sometime this summer, which I'll take to mean some time this year, icing on the cake. I have a feeling lifetime is in my (28 day) future. Don't forget to use promo code PLSR to knock $100 off that. And thus far, WAF is off the chart compared to any of my htpc configurations.

And that's my "tivo honeymoon" post! Now I've got some reading to do on local network video streaming possibilities.
WMC has a search feature, but I can't vouch for how it compares with Tivo's because I rarely used it on my Tivo. I'm more structured than most people when it comes to TV viewing so I never need to search for anything to watch. I've either got a backlog of TV shows I've recorded or I can pick a movie from my vast library of ripped DVDs and Blu-Rays, which is well over 800 at the moment and still growing.

I have yet to see a streaming service that holds a candle to Blu-Ray playback, but to each his own. Blu-Rays ripped to MKV files with XBMC and the HD audio patch are a match made in heaven for me. They stream beautifully from my unRAID server to any PC in the house. It's the first playback solution for streaming Blu-Rays I've found that just plain works and works flawlessly.

Not sure why your PC would reset everything to default. Sounds like it's a hardware/software/driver issue that doesn't play well together. I can set mine up the way I want and then forget about it. Even the wife has come to like it, and she's the hardest person I've ever met to please.

Been using a Ceton InfiniTV 4 since August of 2010 when they first shipped and never had an issue with it. Then again, I leave my PC on 24/7. I've heard too many horror stories about letting HTPCs go into sleep mode so I never saw the sense it doing it myself. Your post just proves I'm right about it. You might want to reconsider using sleep mode on yours. Mine's ready to go as soon as the TV turns on. Another solution might be to use an SSD for your OS drive. The difference in boot times will absolutely astound you.

My lifetime Tivo's been sitting unplugged on the shelf going on two months now and nobody misses it. My WMC PC does everything I ever asked my Tivo to do and much, much more.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #79
ggieseke

My HTPC has no problems with sleep mode, but that's probably because the only tuners right now are a pair of external HD HomeRun boxes. Does the InfiniTV 4 have problems in that respect?
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #80
shwru980r

Quote:
I think this risk also exists with the monthly service since there is a one year commitment on the premiere or elite. It looks like the customer is still committed to paying a minimum of $329.87 ($149.99 + $14.99x12) for a Premiere without lifetime service.

With a little research a customer can purchase a Premiere with lifetime service for $549.98 ($149.99 + $399.99) and Tivo would probably replace the box for $150 in the event of catastrophic falure.

A Lifetime Tivo is exposed to an additional $220.11 ($549.98 - $329.87) initially if the box is lost, stolen or destroyed by fire or flooding, but if it survives for 27 months then the lifetime service pays for itself.

So it seems the downside to lifetime service is the additional risk of losing an additional $220.11 in the event of loss, theft, fire or flooding, but this risk depreciates for every month you own the Tivo and disappears after 27 months.

The upside is that the lifetime Tivo could last 10 years so it would only cost you $4.59 per month or 5 years for $9.18 per month.

I think Lifetime service is a risk worth taking.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #81
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
I think this risk also exists with the monthly service since there is a one year commitment on the premiere or elite. It looks like the customer is still committed to paying a minimum of $329.87 ($149.99 + $14.99x12) for a Premiere without lifetime service.

With a little research a customer can purchase a Premiere with lifetime service for $549.98 ($149.99 + $399.99) and Tivo would probably replace the box for $150 in the event of catastrophic falure.

A Lifetime Tivo is exposed to an additional $220.11 ($549.98 - $329.87) initially if the box is lost, stolen or destroyed by fire or flooding, but if it survives for 27 months then the lifetime service pays for itself.

So it seems the downside to lifetime service is the additional risk of losing an additional $220.11 in the event of loss, theft, fire or flooding, but this risk depreciates for every month you own the Tivo and disappears after 27 months.

The upside is that the lifetime Tivo could last 10 years so it would only cost you $4.59 per month or 5 years for $9.18 per month.

I think Lifetime service is a risk worth taking.
+1 and if you want to upgrade you can get almost all your Lifetime investment back by selling the TiVo.
I have been doing this from 2001 on, very low cost over the years for me. after my re-sales the monthly cost was under $1.50/month per TiVo.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #82
aaronwt
HD Addict

Yes, the resale aspect is what really makes the lifetime purchase a superb deal.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #83
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
I can easily earn 40% return on my stock options every 6 months. Even taxed as normal income, I still easily come out ahead on a $400 investment by a few bucks a month if I pay for Tivo monthly. That said, not everyone is in my position, so the lifetime option probably makes more sense for lots of other people.

-Ted
Old 05-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #84
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
My HTPC has no problems with sleep mode, but that's probably because the only tuners right now are a pair of external HD HomeRun boxes. Does the InfiniTV 4 have problems in that respect?
I can't address that personally, but it appears that swerver's HTPC has to get the Ceton tuners awake before they'll function. If you absolutely have to use sleep mode then you might consider the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime as an alternative. Both the Ceton and HDHR Prime are excellent cablecard tuners. I use both in my setup as well as two Hauppauge 2250 PCI-E tuners and a standard HDHomeRun ATSC/QAM networked dual tuner. The Ceton quad tuners and Hauppauge tuners are dedicated to my primary HTPC and the HDHR & HDHR Prime are shared between several PCs.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #85
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post
I can easily earn 40% return on my stock options every 6 months. Even taxed as normal income, I still easily come out ahead on a $400 investment by a few bucks a month if I pay for Tivo monthly. That said, not everyone is in my position, so the lifetime option probably makes more sense for lots of other people.

-Ted
Your correct if I had a no risk 40% a year unlimited investment opportunity I would borrow money like a mad man, mortgage my home, cars, (and kids if i could), and max out my credit cards, but for the average person that can make a risk free return of 1%-2% on their money, Lifetime TiVo service make for a good investment.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #86
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Does WMC or any other htpc interface offer the integrated search features tivo has?
No, WMC sucks for search compared to Tivo, and more importantly (to me) lacks the advanced wishlists with boolean search that Tivo has. I have a variety of ARWLs for sports that I could not do on WMC without babysitting every week to remove stuff I don't want to record.

WMC can play a ton of stuff and has some great features like auto commercial skip with add-ons, but as an every day DVR IMO is not as good as Tivos, especially if you use extenders. I run both in my house, and with pyTivo in particular there's nothing else that I need to play anything I want on Tivo, but I don't stream BD rips - WMC might be better for that.

YMMV.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #87
mr.unnatural

Quote:
No, WMC sucks for search compared to Tivo, and more importantly (to me) lacks the advanced wishlists with boolean search that Tivo has. I have a variety of ARWLs for sports that I could not do on WMC without babysitting every week to remove stuff I don't want to record.

WMC can play a ton of stuff and has some great features like auto commercial skip with add-ons, but as an every day DVR IMO is not as good as Tivos, especially if you use extenders. I run both in my house, and with pyTivo in particular there's nothing else that I need to play anything I want on Tivo, but I don't stream BD rips - WMC might be better for that.

YMMV.
It all depends on what you're expecting your DVR to do for you. I've never felt the need to use Tivo's search functions except on a few rare occasions. With all of the season passes I have set up I rarely have to look for extra stuff to record unless it's a one-time airing of a show I'd like to watch. WMC does more than an adequate job of finding what I want in this regard. If you don't use season passes and just like to record random shows then Tivo's search feature may work better for you, but I'm just guessing.

I see lots of extra stuff show up in my upcoming recordings list that I don't want, but it's usually because all of the metadata for a particular episode hasn't been acquired yet. If I leave it alone WMC eventually sorts it out and decides if it's a new show or a rerun. I don't recall the last time I ever had a duplicate recording of a rerun in WMC.

WMC is a rock-solid DVR and is perfectly fine for everyday use (I use mine everyday ). I'm not a huge fan of extenders, mainly because of their lack of codec support for various video formats. For playing back recorded TV shows from the main PC, they do exactly what they're designed to do. The one aspect that killed it for me was that if the main PC went down for any reason it disrupts every extender in the house. I switched to using small form factor (SFF) PCs in place of extenders throughout my house. Since I'm on FIOS I don't have the DRM issues that other providers have so I can share recordings from the main PC with any other PC.

Tivo vs. HTPC is strictly a matter of personal preference and what features you want. Tivo is better in some areas and an HTPC is better in others. I use mine mainly for recording TV as season passes so there's no advantage to either in this regard. The area in which the HTPC beats Tivo hands-down is the ability to stream a multitude of video formats across my network, especially ripped Blu-Ray discs with HD audio. There are more ways than I can count to customize an HTPC for any feature you want without having to hack it, unlike a Tivo.

It's all about choices. You can buy a box with whatever software configuration Tivo decides to give you or you can create your own custom DVR with loads of extra features. The main reason I bought a Tivo in the first place was the ability to hack it for additional storage and add extra features. Tivo has locked down the boxes to the point where even adding more storage is a daunting task.