TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
Stormydog

Convert Tivo to DVD

I thought I was doing everything correctly until I tried to create a dvd (because the hard drive was filling up). But ran into a problem with Sonic MyDVD.

I am using Tivo Desktop v2.8.
DirectShow Dump v0.1.1
Sonic MyDVD I think an older v3 (came with my Dell many years ago). I do not think I can upgrade to newer version without buying the newer version. Something I prefer not to do.

So I dowmload tivo file to my pc using TivoDesktop. I them convert using DirectShow Dump creating a Mpeg file. When I try and import into MyDVD, get error about Divx.

I am not that knowlegeable about different codex and video file versions. The mpeg will play on my computer in Windows Media, but wanted to get video off of hard drive to free up space and be able to watch on my TV. My TV does not have a PC hookup.

I would appreciate some direction about Divx and Sonic or another path to persue, using the many free software available.
Thanks

ps. I did some searching and found many references but they were not the same as my problem and I quickly became confused. So I did try to find a solution first.
Stormydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

What model is your TiVo? Really after what resolution are your videos?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
jrtroo
User

Which hard drive is filling up? The tivo or your PC? I would skip dvds if possible and just save on the PC.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormydog View Post
I am using Tivo Desktop v2.8.
I prefer PyTivo and KMTTG.

Quote:
DirectShow Dump v0.1.1
Use TivoDecode.

Quote:
Sonic MyDVD
You might be able to use this with Tivo Decode, but prefer to use VideoReDo TVSuite.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Use TivoDecode.
I agree. Try Tivodecode.

For authoring and burning DVDs, try DVD Styler. It's free.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 01-24-2013 at 06:58 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
SNJpage1

I use VideoRedo. The trial is free down load it and see if it does what you want.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
Stormydog

Convert tivo to DVD

Thanks for the many responses so quickly.

I have a Tivo Premium xl
It is my pc hard drives that are filling up. My Tivo gets pretty full sometimes and I need to download them if I plan to watch them much later, not right now. I only have several hours a day to watch tv, so shows on the tivo can accumulate faster than I can watch them.

I wll have to check to resolution of the videos. Some are 480i, some up to 1080i. I dont know what DirectShow uses, must be a default because I dont know that much about resolution to change it. I dont know that MyDVD expects. The DIVX message threw me for a loop.
I have made DVDs using MyDVD before from youtube, but they were from FLI files.
I thought it would be just as easy.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

The .TiVo files are DRM encrypted and you will need TiVoDecode to remove it. The programs needs the use of your Media Access Key or MAK to decrypt. After that they are just MPEG2 files and if your MyDVD can either burn to make a DVD playable disc, that will work. I do not know where the 'Divx" message came from since Tivo does not record with that codec.

~~~~~

Old 01-25-2013, 11:56 PM   #9
SNJpage1

DirectShow dump will also remove the Tivo wrapper. It sounds like you need a place to store the shows until you are ready to watch them. I had the same problem so I bought the WD expander to give me the extra space without having to open up the case.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
mr.unnatural

I like to use HDTV2DVD. It's a freeware program that lets you take a HD transport stream (i.e., .ts file) and give you two outputs. One is a 720x480 mpeg file and the other is a VIDEO_TS folder containing the converted file that's ready to be burned to DVD.

You'll need to copy the recording to your desktop using kttmg, Tivo Desktop, etc., and then decode it using tivodecode. You can then run it through VideoReDo to edit out commercials and convert the output to a transport stream. You then drag and drop the .ts file into HDTV2DVD and click on the Make DVD button in the upper left corner. Final output is as good as any commercial DVD I've ever seen since it's true 720x480 resolution. I believe it also retains the Dolby Digital soundtrack if it was recorded with one.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #11
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I like to use HDTV2DVD. It's a freeware program that lets you take a HD transport stream (i.e., .ts file) and give you two outputs. One is a 720x480 mpeg file and the other is a VIDEO_TS folder containing the converted file that's ready to be burned to DVD.

You'll need to copy the recording to your desktop using kttmg, Tivo Desktop, etc., and then decode it using tivodecode. You can then run it through VideoReDo to edit out commercials and convert the output to a transport stream. You then drag and drop the .ts file into HDTV2DVD and click on the Make DVD button in the upper left corner. Final output is as good as any commercial DVD I've ever seen since it's true 720x480 resolution. I believe it also retains the Dolby Digital soundtrack if it was recorded with one.
If you're going to use VRD to edit, or need it to convert to transport stream, you could skip the tivodecode step, since VRD will read the .tivo file in directly.

The TVSuite version of VRD ($75) will also generate and burn the DVD starting with the .tivo input. Whether you use HDTV2DVD or VRD TVS, an HD input will have to be resized (i.e., recoded) to the DVD format (720x480) which is compute-intensive. The question would be: which program does the recoding faster/better?

If one wanted a completely free process (e.g., kmttg, tivodecode, HDTV2DVD), what could be used to generate the .ts file that HDTV2DVD apparently needs?

and
Old 01-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #12
Stormydog

Convert tivo to DVD

Thanks, I am learning something now!

Though I have made DVDs before, this is the first time I tried to put a Tivo onto DVDs. I will try and recreate the MyDVD message and search for a resolution. I prefer a free process because I am not into editing or spending a lot of time creating a dvd. Just want to be able to put dvd into computer and watch show as easily as possible. Maybe then I will desire to persue a better way of handling and better editing when making a dvd and will then buy the recommended software.

Thanks, I will try and investigate all that has been presented here.

I did look into HDTV2DVD.
I am not clear where I would get a .TS file is using HDTV2DVD.

Last edited by Stormydog : 01-26-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #13
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
If you're going to use VRD to edit, or need it to convert to transport stream, you could skip the tivodecode step, since VRD will read the .tivo file in directly.
Good to know. I haven't worked with .tivo files in quite a while so I couldn't recall if VideoReDo worked with them directly. I just opened up a VRD session and it does have .tivo as one of the file types listed.

Quote:
The TVSuite version of VRD ($75) will also generate and burn the DVD starting with the .tivo input. Whether you use HDTV2DVD or VRD TVS, an HD input will have to be resized (i.e., recoded) to the DVD format (720x480) which is compute-intensive. The question would be: which program does the recoding faster/better?
That all depends on the speed of your CPU. Obviously a faster processor with get it done much quicker. I don't recall HDTV2DVD taking an extraordinary amount of time to convert a file. I've converted 2-hour HD movies to DVD format in under an hour, IIRC.

Quote:
If one wanted a completely free process (e.g., kmttg, tivodecode, HDTV2DVD), what could be used to generate the .ts file that HDTV2DVD apparently needs?
Just run the file through VideoReDo and set the output to .ts format. You can edit and convert from .tivo to .ts in one step. However, you've still got to transfer the file to your PC first.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #14
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
......... If one wanted a completely free process (e.g., kmttg, tivodecode, HDTV2DVD), what could be used to generate the .ts file that HDTV2DVD apparently needs?
Quote:
Just run the file through VideoReDo and set the output to .ts format. You can edit and convert from .tivo to .ts in one step. However, you've still got to transfer the file to your PC first.
But that's not a free process (what I asked about).

A poaaible solution might be tsmuxer:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/tsMuxeR
but I haven't used it so I'm not sure.

and
Old 01-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #15
mr.unnatural

Quote:
But that's not a free process (what I asked about).

A poaaible solution might be tsmuxer:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/tsMuxeR
but I haven't used it so I'm not sure.
It's free for the initial trial period (I don't recall how long it is but I believe it's somewhere around 14-21 days, IIRC). When I first tried it many years ago, I think I only tried it for about 2-3 days before I decided to buy it, and I'm really cheap when it comes to buying any software. VideoReDo should be on anyone's PC that plans on converting .tivo files to DVD. It's well worth the price of admission.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #16
ffitzgerald39

Convert Tivo to DVD

A simple way to do this using Tivo desktop files is with Roxio Creator 2012. This is supplied in a reduced version with Dell and other computers. You might have to upgrade to the full version.
Simply open a project in My DVD and choose the file from My Tivo files on the PC. Click on burn DVD and the program does the rest. Roxio recognizes and converts Tivo files and burns at 8x speed. It will adjust program quality to fit on the disk i.e. 4.7 GB. These play on any DVD/BLU RAY player or computer.
ffitzgerald39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #17
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffitzgerald39 View Post
A simple way to do this using Tivo desktop files is with Roxio Creator 2012. This is supplied in a reduced version with Dell and other computers. You might have to upgrade to the full version.
Simply open a project in My DVD and choose the file from My Tivo files on the PC. Click on burn DVD and the program does the rest. Roxio recognizes and converts Tivo files and burns at 8x speed. It will adjust program quality to fit on the disk i.e. 4.7 GB. These play on any DVD/BLU RAY player or computer.
What about editing capabilities? I think most people would prefer the option to cut the commercials before burning to DVD. The VideoReDo TVSuite allows you to edit and burn .tivo files directly to DVD.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #18
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
It's free for the initial trial period (I don't recall how long it is but I believe it's somewhere around 14-21 days, IIRC). When I first tried it many years ago, I think I only tried it for about 2-3 days before I decided to buy it, and I'm really cheap when it comes to buying any software. VideoReDo should be on anyone's PC that plans on converting .tivo files to DVD. It's well worth the price of admission.
While I agree that VRD is well worth the price (and author a program to automate its use - link in signature), the OP has made it pretty emphatic they much prefer a totally free solution.

The uncrippled free trial for VRD runs for 15 days, and to be uncrippled it requires performing an online trial registration reached by a menu item in the program (after installing it).

and
Old 01-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #19
mr.unnatural

Everyone would prefer a totally free solution, but that doesn't mean you're going to get it. I'm not aware of any freeware programs other than TyTools and the various apps mentioned that will do what the OP wants. I'm not even sure TyTools is a viable option anymore as I haven't used it in years.

The point is, if you plan on doing a lot of DVD creation from Tivo files, bite the bullet and buy a copy of VideoReDo. It's an invaluable tool for any Tivo owner. It's probably the closest thing you'll find to an all-in-one solution for editing and authoring Tivo files.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #20
malayphred
Underpowered User

Does VideoReDo create dvd's from KMTTG files?
malayphred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #21
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by malayphred View Post
VideoReDo TVSuite does, not Plus.

KMTTG is just a program for downloading, the files could have been downloaded using PyTivo, Tivo Desktop, etc. and VRD can still use it.

~~~~~

Old 01-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #22
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by malayphred View Post
kttmg transfers files in .tivo format, just like Tivo Desktop does. VideoReDo Plus can edit and convert .tivo files, but it cannot author DVDs. However, you don't need to use the TVSuite or the H.264 version of VRD to create DVDs. Once you've converted the .tivo files to an mpg or other compatible format, you can use most any DVD authoring program to create a DVD.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #23
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Once you've converted the .tivo files to an mpg or other compatible format, you can use most any DVD authoring program to create a DVD.
Yep. If you already have DVD authoring software and are happy with it, there's no reason to get VRD TV Suite.
The DVD authoring options in VRD TVS are rather limited compared to other authoring software programs.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:17 AM   #24
lrhorer

Quote:
What about editing capabilities? I think most people would prefer the option to cut the commercials before burning to DVD. The VideoReDo TVSuite allows you to edit and burn .tivo files directly to DVD.
Absolutely. IMO, it also offers a much lower frustration factor to the average user than most other solutions.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:21 AM   #25
lrhorer

Quote:
Everyone would prefer a totally free solution, but that doesn't mean you're going to get it. I'm not aware of any freeware programs other than TyTools and the various apps mentioned that will do what the OP wants. I'm not even sure TyTools is a viable option anymore as I haven't used it in years.
On a modified S3 class TiVo, TyTool can transfer video to the external PC, and it can edit SD videos. It cannot edit HD videos, and HD videos transferred via TyTool must be converted using s3tots in order to be usable.

Quote:
The point is, if you plan on doing a lot of DVD creation from Tivo files, bite the bullet and buy a copy of VideoReDo.
Agreed. Definitely.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #26
Stormydog

Convert tivo to DVD

Right now when importing the Mpeg (using DirectShow Dump) I get a message at end of trying to import into MyDVD:
"Could not complete the last command because: Could not make thumbnail. Make sure you have the appropriate decoder installed. DVErr -47010".

Tried searching about this and I do have K-Lite codec installed (recommended doe resolution). I also ran across TV Harmony. I downloaded this, got it to recognize my Tivo Premier. Having trouble understanding how to get it to work. Ever hear of this?
Old 02-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #27
dwanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffitzgerald39 View Post
A simple way to do this using Tivo desktop files is with Roxio Creator 2012. .

I have had nothing but issues with Roxio NXT and am looking to return it and get a different product.
dwanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #28
3stan

Toshiba DR430 DVD Recorder

Will this work to copy from a premier? Toshiba DR430 DVD Recorder. Would there be copy protect issues?
3stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:05 AM   #29
Dragin

For authoring and burning DVDs, depending on what OS you're using, I believe Windows can do that itself within Explorer or Movie Maker. Otherwise you'd have to use custom software like AppGeeker DVD Creator

It will convert the videos into DVD VOB format and burn them to a playable DVD in one process. But it's a time-limited piece of software.
Dragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:26 AM   #30
lew

The OP said he wants to view the movies on his computer. You don't need to "create" a DVD. Use KMTTG to D/L the show, decode it, remove ads and encode it. Use windows to copy the mpeg or mp4 file to your DVD. You can play the video on your computer. No need to create a DVD titleset. Pick the right format and there is a good chance your DVD player can play it.

Adding a new hard drive your PC makes the most sense. Newegg is selling a 3T external drive for $109 or a 1T drive for around 80. You can get a better price if you're willing and able to install an internal drive. The price isn't much more then the cost buying the equivalent amount of blank media. A blank DVD is 4.7 Gig. That's not enough for a HD movie, without serious encoding. It's probably more then enough for a SD show but not for 2 shows, meaning you'll be wasting space.

edited to add--I misread the OP. He wants to be able to use his DVD player to watch the show. One option is to push the video from his computer back to his tivo. Otherwise check his DVD player. A lot of them will play an mpeg (or even mp4) file.

Last edited by lew : 03-18-2013 at 08:05 AM.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote