TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
phastphil

GLO Remote Good News and Bad News Vizio

New to Forums, but NOT new to TV. So if I've put this in the wrong place, let me know.

I was able to successfully program my old (a few years old) GLO remote to the Vizio VHT215 sound bar. There have been lots of posts on this issue, as the Vizio uses a non standard 5 digit code that was not supported by just about any other remote. I programmed the Vizio ON/OFF power to the 2nd TV POWER button (hit 1 when setting up the TV Power button), up/down volume, and mute. I will say, it took a few tries, as I was getting 10 quick flashes which indicated a failed program, but after a few tries, one by one I was to get this to work.

However, the bad news to my story is that a NEW (just received) GLO remote will not accept programming for my existing Marantz A/V which the original GLO remote (now dedicated to the other Tivo with the Vizio sound bar) worked perfectly. The question; are there issues with new GLO remotes? All programming appears to be accepted correctly, BUT will not control the A/V receiver. I'm only attempting Power on (withe TV Power button - 2nd device control) and OFF programming the INPUT button, as the Marantz uses two different codes for ON and Off.

I've tried the programming any number of times, and the other remote functions work OK, including CODE entry for the Marantz and Samsung TV, but the training functions do not seem to be working at all.
phastphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
Steve-O

While I don't have the same equipment as you do, I can report that my new TiVo Glo remote appeared to learn (as evidenced by the 4-5 slow flashes instead of 10 rapid ones) the Volume Up and Volume Down codes for my LG NB2022A (bundled with my new LG TV) soundbar, but on execution, fails to raise or lower the volume on that unit. (Which is why I'm on the prowl for a new soundbar.)

So the new TiVo Glo remote does appear to be limited in usefulness.

Good luck with yours!

Steve
Steve-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
Edmund
Remote Czar

Marantz is known to use RC5 protocol for there remotes, which suffers from toggle bit, which gives learning remotes fits.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
phastphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
Marantz is known to use RC5 protocol for there remotes, which suffers from toggle bit, which gives learning remotes fits.
Tnx for the info. What I'm questioning is the ease of programming the first GLO remote and how impossible the new GLO is, unless there is is a failure in the new remote. But, what me confused is the 4 blink acceptance when I program a button. That is supposed to indicate a confirmation but it doesn't work. Failure to program a button would have been the 10 blink result.

The Vizio has pretty good sound, a good price ($199) and quick install with the wireless sub. However, the Bose is better albeit a bit more$. I was just about to switch to the Bose, but as a last resort tried the GLO and the success of the programming means i will keep the Vizio.

Last edited by phastphil : 01-01-2013 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Added a sentence
phastphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phastphil View Post
New to Forums, but NOT new to TV. So if I've put this in the wrong place, let me know.

I was able to successfully program my old (a few years old) GLO remote to the Vizio VHT215 sound bar. There have been lots of posts on this issue, as the Vizio uses a non standard 5 digit code that was not supported by just about any other remote. I programmed the Vizio ON/OFF power to the 2nd TV POWER button (hit 1 when setting up the TV Power button), up/down volume, and mute. I will say, it took a few tries, as I was getting 10 quick flashes which indicated a failed program, but after a few tries, one by one I was to get this to work.

However, the bad news to my story is that a NEW (just received) GLO remote will not accept programming for my existing Marantz A/V which the original GLO remote (now dedicated to the other Tivo with the Vizio sound bar) worked perfectly. The question; are there issues with new GLO remotes? All programming appears to be accepted correctly, BUT will not control the A/V receiver. I'm only attempting Power on (withe TV Power button - 2nd device control) and OFF programming the INPUT button, as the Marantz uses two different codes for ON and Off.

I've tried the programming any number of times, and the other remote functions work OK, including CODE entry for the Marantz and Samsung TV, but the training functions do not seem to be working at all.
Since the old glo worked fine with the marantz, did you try programming the new gol remote for the vizio and reserving the old glo remote for the marantz?
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:58 PM   #6
cdcferreira

Difficulties Vizio and the GLO Remote

I have tried to program a GLO Premium with code 1180 for the Vizio bar as this is the code indicated under TiVo Settings. The Roamio remote controls the Vizio bar without any problems but I cannot say the same about the GLO. The Mute button and Volume up button work fine, but the Volume down button does not work at all. I have tried the "learning" function without success. I noticed above that a 5-digit code for the Vizio bar is mentioned - if anyone knows the code I would appreciate sharing the information. Any other advice would be appreciated to.
cdcferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:13 PM   #7
True Colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by phastphil View Post

What model TV do you have?

A lot of the newer TVs have a function that works really nice with sound bars called "audio return channel"(ARC). If you have this then it would certainly solve your problem.

It's great. Really great. If you get this set up with your TV then you will never want to be without it again!

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #8
cdcferreira

Difficulties Vizio and the GLO Remote

Thank you for responding so promptly. My TV is a Panasonic, now about 4 years old, and unfortunately it does not have the function you mentioned. I guess I will let mey wife have the Roamio remote that works well with everything and I will keep on using the Glo remote and the Vizio remote when I have to turn the sound down.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:05 AM   #9
cdcferreira

Resolved! After I did a Global Reset on the Glo the learning function was able to learn all the Vizio codes. Finally, after a lot of aggravation, I now have the TiVo, Panasonic TV, and Vizio sound bar all controlled by the Glo remote.