TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
plazman30

Now that Roamio is here, will the Premiere HDUI ever get finished?

It appears the HDUI is finally complete in the Roamio. Does anyone think the HDUI will be completed in the Premiere?
plazman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
Philmatic

Where are you seeing that it is complete? All reviews say the contrary.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

It's not complete on the Roamio. The Settings are still SD judging from some of the video clips.

We know Wishlists and maybe one other screen are coming soon. No telling how long the Settings section will stay SD. But based on how infrequent I am in the settings, I don't mind it anymore.
BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
jrtroo
User

It is not complete, folks are just getting confused because there is no longer any SD interface and just the HD interface.

Tivo has said the fall update will provide more HD screens, but not all of them.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
It is not complete, folks are just getting confused because there is no longer any SD interface and just the HD interface.

Tivo has said the fall update will provide more HD screens, but not all of them.
Where has TiVo said that? I don't know if there is any weight on third party reports until TiVo comes out officially on their plans.

Judging from the CNET video, even the "SD" screens are redesigned with the darker blue background and yellow selection bar.

Sucks that the new interface isn't coming to the Premiere, according to the FAQ of the Roamio. https://www.tivo.com/shop/roamio#tab4

Last edited by JWhites : 08-21-2013 at 09:38 PM.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
It's not complete on the Roamio. The Settings are still SD judging from some of the video clips.

We know Wishlists and maybe one other screen are coming soon. No telling how long the Settings section will stay SD. But based on how infrequent I am in the settings, I don't mind it anymore.
At this point the most important thing I want to know is when they are going to fix the truncated program data on the info bar.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #7
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman30 View Post
It appears the HDUI is finally complete in the Roamio. Does anyone think the HDUI will be completed in the Premiere?
Who cares?? It functions just as good with some SD menus among the HD menus. What do HD menus give you? A fuzzy feeling? Just go have a shot of Vodka instead!
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:35 AM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

After 3 years it seems like it should be done. But there was a long stretch in there where they didn't really do anything, so I think that cut into the schedule.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
tivogurl

I'm trying to figure out how TiVo's software is so broken that updating the screens to HD isn't a weekend's worth of effort.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
BigJimOutlaw

As we all have... One of life's mysteries. Lol.
BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
I'm trying to figure out how TiVo's software is so broken that updating the screens to HD isn't a weekend's worth of effort.
Exactly! Unless the UI is massively over-complicated, shouldn't this merely be a background, a style sheet, a font, and some text?

Sure, it's not a big deal for fuctionality. But it is a very visible and constant reminder that the Premiere implementation is incomplete. If a user-visible portion of the UI is incomplete after so many years, do you really think the code we don't see--i.e., the actual functional software--is any better?
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
Since the initial launch, each of the screens that has been updated included new and enhanced functionality. Not sure why the settings have not just gotten a facelift to look more consistent (ie skipping the video window), as I'm not sure what could be enhanced there.

Anyhow, TiVo Margret Schmidt has mentioned the updates to the Premiere this fall on her twitter feed.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #13
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post
Sure, it's not a big deal for fuctionality. But it is a very visible and constant reminder that the Premiere implementation is incomplete. If a user-visible portion of the UI is incomplete after so many years, do you really think the code we don't see--i.e., the actual functional software--is any better?
That's pretty much the point a lot of us have been making ever since the Premiere came out - everything since then has been half-assed and no one knows why. It's almost as if they really don't care about the details that make for a polished product, but given that they released a way-underpowered box for that UI anyway I think we already knew the answer there.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Since the initial launch, each of the screens that has been updated included new and enhanced functionality. Not sure why the settings have not just gotten a facelift to look more consistent (ie skipping the video window), as I'm not sure what could be enhanced there.

Anyhow, TiVo Margret Schmidt has mentioned the updates to the Premiere this fall on her twitter feed.
There are a LOT of screens in the options section. And some of them like the channel selection screens, network screens, messages screens, etc... are more complicated then a simple page of options.

Not making excuses for why it's taking so long, just saying that the options aren't really any less difficult then the rest of the UI.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:19 AM   #15
JWhites

Quote:

Why do I feel like the Premiere was TiVo's practice for the Roamio, and we all paid heavily for it?

What updates has Ms. Schmidt mentioned?
Old 08-25-2013, 03:35 AM   #16
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
Margret says it (DTA for Premiere 4/XL4s) is coming, She would not post that if it was not a fact.

https://twitter.com/tivodesign/statu...42645851705347

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #17
JWhites

Any word on when the HDUI will be completed, or even if the bugs they introduced in the 20.3.1 update will be addressed and fixed?

Last edited by JWhites : 08-25-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:46 AM   #18
Dan203
Super Moderator

It's still not complete on the Roamio. They added Wish Lists, but Browse By Time/Channel are both still SD as are a lot of the options screens. At their current pace it could be a couple more years before it's finally done so it may never actually be completed on the Premiere.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #19
davezatz
Funkadelic

More than HD settings screens, they need to fix the Premiere Netflix app. Even if I can get use to the one minute launch, the constant lockups make it nearly unusuable.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:41 AM   #20
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

It's not complete on the Roamio, and it will never be finished on the Premiere, no.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #21
Rebate_King

Quote:
Why do I feel like the Premiere was TiVo's practice for the Roamio, and we all paid heavily for it?

agreed. and I am a little bitter that tivo didn't throw premiere owners a bone to upgrade. I put up with a lot of pain with my two units and I bought them on first day of launch some 3 years ago which was at a premium price.

Would have been nice to have done something for us who basically were beta testers for 3 years.
Rebate_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #22
djwilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebate_King View Post
agreed. and I am a little bitter that tivo didn't throw premiere owners a bone to upgrade. I put up with a lot of pain with my two units and I bought them on first day of launch some 3 years ago which was at a premium price.

Would have been nice to have done something for us who basically were beta testers for 3 years.
I would let it wait awhile. Maybe there will be some upgrade deals in the not so distant future.

I bought my Elite on release day for full price. Not doing that again...
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #23
NoVa

I don't fall for the victimization cries of people who are early adopters.
No1 forced you to be the first out of the gate to adopt a new technology & then see it fall short on your expectations.

Best bet is to buy any new tech or automobile after the 1st or 2nd year to avoid new intro bugs.

There is no prize for being early to this party. Only regrets from the unfulfilled expectations.
NoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #24
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Wether you bought the premiere on day one or you bought yesterday....this platform has been a major letdown. Plain and simple. Slow, buggy, incomplete.
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:26 AM   #25
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa View Post
I don't fall for the victimization cries of people who are early adopters.
No1 forced you to be the first out of the gate to adopt a new technology & then see it fall short on your expectations.

Best bet is to buy any new tech or automobile after the 1st or 2nd year to avoid new intro bugs.

There is no prize for being early to this party. Only regrets from the unfulfilled expectations.
I bought my first Premiere in September of 2010, my second in February of 2013, and my third in March of 2013. To be honest, after the massive updates in 2012 where they added more HD menus and optimized the processor with the updates before 20.3.1, I was the happiest guy in the world. Everything worked perfectly for me then the 20.3.1 update screwed everything up. If TiVo ever fixes it to the way it was before that update, that would be awesome for me.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:11 AM   #26
tomhorsley

Quote:
... then the 20.3.1 update screwed everything up. If TiVo ever fixes it to the way it was before that update, that would be awesome for me.
Yea. I would be overjoyed if TiVo would just push the old pre-20.3 software back on my Premier. The missing channel thing happened maybe once every few weeks then, now if I start channel surfing I'm lucky to get through a dozen channels without it cropping up.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #27
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
Wether you bought the premiere on day one or you bought yesterday....this platform has been a major letdown. Plain and simple. Slow, buggy, incomplete.
Agreed 100%, and also agree that I don't want to be an early adopter for the Roamio Plus I want to get to upgrade my Elite. I've only had the Elite for a little over a year (got it from Woot for $300 on one of their sales), and while it is a slug with a few bugs it does the job generally speaking. I can wait a few months to see if Tivo has any refurbs or wants to sell excess stock to Woot or someone else again. Or maybe they'll finally have a decent whole-home bundle with a couple of Minis for the holidays etc.

Never going to be an early adopter for Tivo, that's a way to catch a lot of arrows in the back.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #28
plazman30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisadm View Post
Who cares?? It functions just as good with some SD menus among the HD menus. What do HD menus give you? A fuzzy feeling? Just go have a shot of Vodka instead!
I have two Premieres and love them. I'm more curious. The latest HD additions, especially the season pass manager and seeing what's on other TiVos in HD was a welcome addition.

I would think that Premiere owners would be the perfect guinea pigs for HDUI changes. We test them out for the Roamio users, so they don't push a bad update to their latest and greatest TiVo.
plazman30 is offline   Reply With Quote