Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
teddy7
Teddy

Arrow Tivo Series 4 Problems

I have a Series 4 that WILL NOT connect to my Linksys E2000 Router
when I have the following settings. Under Wireless - Wireless MAC Filter.

When it is Enabled - Permit PC Listed Below. And I have the MAC Address
entered into the Table; I can't get connected to the "N" Adapter on the Tivo.

If I Disable the Wireless MAC Filter, Then the Tivo will connect.

It makes NO since, since the MAC Address is "CORRECT" in the Table!!!

Any thoughts, out their?
teddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
scole250

Don't think it's a Tivo problem. Tivo doesn't know or care that MAC filtering is used. What's the MAC address?
Old 08-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
windracer
joined the 10k club

If you're using the N adapter, make sure you entering the MAC address of your TiVo's ethernet adapter in addition to the N adapter. The N adapter is a bridge, so the router will see the TiVo's MAC address and not the adapter's.

MAC address filtering isn't really much a security method anymore anyway. It just causes more problems and no extra security.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Can you set the IP address on the Tivo to a fixed number instead of using DHCP? Not sure how that works if you are using the Tivo wireless adapter but for ethernet connections that cures a lot of these types of issues.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
scole250

If the wireless acts like a bridge, they'll need to do what windracer said and enter both MAC addresses. But like he said also, MAC filtering isn't going to stop anyone. Your devices are broadcasting the MAC addresses. A hacker and see those MAC addresses too and simply spoof the router (make his device use the permitted MAC addresses).
Old 08-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by scole250 View Post
If the wireless acts like a bridge, they'll need to do what windracer said and enter both MAC addresses. But like he said also, MAC filtering isn't going to stop anyone. Your devices are broadcasting the MAC addresses. A hacker and see those MAC addresses too and simply spoof the router (make his device use the permitted MAC addresses).
I read somewhere here that the Tivo wireless N does act like a bridge. If so, then it doesn't make sense to me that MAC addresses need to be considered at all. I use old Linksys routers flashed with DD-WRT as wireless bridges and all they need is to be part of the same primary net (e.g.: 192.168.1.x), the correct SSID, and the correct security key. MAC addresses never come into play.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
scole250

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
I read somewhere here that the Tivo wireless N does act like a bridge. If so, then it doesn't make sense to me that MAC addresses need to be considered at all. I use old Linksys routers flashed with DD-WRT as wireless bridges and all they need is to be part of the same primary net (e.g.: 192.168.1.x), the correct SSID, and the correct security key. MAC addresses never come into play.
The access point the Tivo is connecting to doesn't care if it's a simple wireless client or a device acting as a bridge. I've used gaming adapters as bridges for series 2 Tivos and had to put both the USB ethernet adapter and gaming adapter MACs in the MAC filter list. Not sure what the TCP/IP packets look like, but I did have to put both MACs in the list.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
MAC addresses never come into play.
You're not filtering MAC addresses like the OP is trying to do, that's why you've never had to worry about them.

|
Old 08-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by scole250 View Post
The access point the Tivo is connecting to doesn't care if it's a simple wireless client or a device acting as a bridge. I've used gaming adapters as bridges for series 2 Tivos and had to put both the USB ethernet adapter and gaming adapter MACs in the MAC filter list. Not sure what the TCP/IP packets look like, but I did have to put both MACs in the list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
You're not filtering MAC addresses like the OP is trying to do, that's why you've never had to worry about them.
Then my question would be "Why bother to filter MAC addresses in this environment?"
Old 08-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #10
windracer
joined the 10k club

Exactly, why bother indeed?

That's why I said, in my original reply to the OP, that using MAC filtering doesn't provide any extra security. It just causes more problems and he's probably better off just not using it and not having to worry about constantly updating his filtered MAC address list on the router.

|
Old 08-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
scole250

Here's a short article about MAC spoofing http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/sec...ac-address/395