TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
MathiasRex

Selling Series3 w/ Lifetime and 500GB expansion

I am selling my trusty Series 3 TiVo box with LIFETIME service included. This is the 250GB model and I am including a 500GB eSata drive expansion unit as well for a total of 750GB storage.

This is a dual-tuner unit with HDMI output. Has two CableCard slots, wireless adapter NOT included, can connect through Ethernet to wired network or you must buy wireless adapter.

This unit has performed FLAWLESSLY but I have recently purchased a Premiere unit so I am letting this go.

$300 / obo
Mathias
MathiasRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:41 AM   #2
unitron

If you're eBaying it, your post should go here

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...splay.php?f=68

and if trying to sell it to a fellow TCF'er, it should go in the sub-forum to that which is here

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...splay.php?f=72

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
MathiasRex

Thanks - I'll have to build up my posts to the 15 minimum and post there. Will do!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathiasRex View Post
Thanks - I'll have to build up my posts to the 15 minimum and post there. Will do!
Didn't realise you had to have a minimum post count to post there, but I guess it's necessary to stop the spammers.

We could go back and forth about whether I should post a link to here over there and you'll be up to 15 in no time.

You need 10 for PM'ing and emailing other TCF'ers anyway, which will probably be necessary if you sell it here.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
MathiasRex

Thanks - been piping in on some other topics in some forums and getting my count up. I agree with the 15 minimum if it helps with spammers - what a pain that stuff can be. No biggie. I'm almost there.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Thanks - been piping in on some other topics in some forums and getting my count up. I agree with the 15 minimum if it helps with spammers - what a pain that stuff can be. No biggie. I'm almost there.
So, are you also listing this on eBay?

Is that 500GB expansion drive the specific WD TiVo approved model necessary for later model TiVos, or just a 500GB drive in an eSATA case?

Why didn't you join TCF sooner?

Old 01-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
MathiasRex

Wasn't going to list on eBay. Don't have any experience with selling stuff there, although I buy from there from time to time.

I bought the 500GB expansion when I got the Series3. It's the approved model for TiVo, researched it when I bought it. Can provide details if that lends credibility.

No specific reason I haven't joined the forum sooner, always had good results with the service and tech support calls, so didn't need much help or consultation with others. Glad I'm here though, good to hear other's experiences, think I've been pretty lucky with good results out of TiVo's DVR's.

Started with a 40 hour original unit in '05, moved to an 80 hour dual tuner (Humax) a few years later, then got the Series 3 with expansion drive. Liking the Premier XL4 so far, occasional screen delays (please wait...) and some issues with CableCards but love the new ViewWindow.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
MathiasRex

Just posted the listing with a few more details on the forum you suggested. Thanks for the support and happy to answer any other questions for interested parties.

I'm being reasonable with the pricing, eBay is showing some sales for more and some for less, some Series3 models have bigger hard drives but others don't have the expansion drive.

I do have a PayPal account although it's always been used to pay for stuff on Ebay, not to receive any money yet from anyone. I'll research that on my end and would prefer that method of payment if that works here.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Wasn't going to list on eBay. Don't have any experience with selling stuff there, although I buy from there from time to time.

I bought the 500GB expansion when I got the Series3. It's the approved model for TiVo, researched it when I bought it. Can provide details if that lends credibility.

No specific reason I haven't joined the forum sooner, always had good results with the service and tech support calls, so didn't need much help or consultation with others. Glad I'm here though, good to hear other's experiences, think I've been pretty lucky with good results out of TiVo's DVR's.

Started with a 40 hour original unit in '05, moved to an 80 hour dual tuner (Humax) a few years later, then got the Series 3 with expansion drive. Liking the Premier XL4 so far, occasional screen delays (please wait...) and some issues with CableCards but love the new ViewWindow.

As far as I know Humax never made a dual tuner unit, although one of their single tuner units looked kind of like the TiVo brand dual tuner S2, the TCD649080 and TCD649180

Old 01-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
MathiasRex

Oops - maybe got confused on that one. Thought I remembered a Humax in there somewhere, maybe it was the original 40 hour unit??

Pulled out my old Series2 box, which I never bothered to try to sell and it doesn't say Humax anywhere on it. Model number is TCD540040. Once I went to the Hi-Def Series3 box I never looked back!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Oops - maybe got confused on that one. Thought I remembered a Humax in there somewhere, maybe it was the original 40 hour unit??

Pulled out my old Series2 box, which I never bothered to try to sell and it doesn't say Humax anywhere on it. Model number is TCD540040. Once I went to the Hi-Def Series3 box I never looked back!
The 540 is the last of the single tuner TiVos.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #12
ndsports316

Howdy, i am looking into possibly buying a series 3. Its it necessary to have 2 cablecards in order to get the dual tuner action on a series 3?

Comcast will offer the 1st cablecard for free, but charge 1.50 per month for the 2nd. And it looks like the Premier dual tuners only need 1 cable card.

Edit - looks like i found my answer here - support.tivo/app/answers/detail/a_id/144

So the answer is yes, i would need 2 cablecards for a series 3. That's almost a deal breaker in my book.
ndsports316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #13
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndsports316 View Post
Howdy, i am looking into possibly buying a series 3. Its it necessary to have 2 cablecards in order to get the dual tuner action on a series 3?

Comcast will offer the 1st cablecard for free, but charge 1.50 per month for the 2nd. And it looks like the Premier dual tuners only need 1 cable card.

Edit - looks like i found my answer here - support.tivo/app/answers/detail/a_id/144

So the answer is yes, i would need 2 cablecards for a series 3. That's almost a deal breaker in my book.
There were 3 Series 3 models.
The original Series 3 HD does require 2 cable cards the 2 newer Series 3 models, the TiVo HD & TiVo HD XL only require one cable card. See this:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/.../kw/series%203

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote