TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:08 PM   #61
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola111 View Post
When I do a cable channel scan on my tv (a 2013 Samsung) with the line connected directly to the coax jack on the tv, it brings back about 75 channels with normal numbers (4, 5, 10, etc) and no more than 10 channels with .1 channel numbers. I assumed that meant that they're only simulcasting those 10 channels in digital. Is that right?
No, that just means that is how many digital channels are not encrypted (probably just the locals are not encrypted). With a cablecard, it could map all of the analogs.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #62
Nola111

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
No, that just means that is how many digital channels are not encrypted (probably just the locals are not encrypted). With a cablecard, it could map all of the analogs.
Hmm ok. Well I went to get a Cablecard from Cox a couple days ago to try with my Roamio to try just that. I told the guy I need a M-Card for a Tivo Roamio, he immediately nodded his head and said yes ok no problem - but then he looked at my account and said "You have basic cable out of the wall - you don't need a cable card unless you have Advanced Digital which is a minimum $60 more per month than what you're paying now. That's not what you want, is it?"

I would maybe have thought he was full of crap and just trying to get my bill up, but he literally tried to talk me out of it.
Nola111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:25 AM   #63
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post

That's not true. ALL the digital channels will show on a scan, but if you try to tune them, only the ones in the clear will show picture and sound, encrypted (the ones you need a cablecard for) will just be blank. Heck, even the pay per views and on demand that people are watching in your neighborhood will show when you do a scan.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:30 AM   #64
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola111 View Post

Hmm ok. Well I went to get a Cablecard from Cox a couple days ago to try with my Roamio to try just that. I told the guy I need a M-Card for a Tivo Roamio, he immediately nodded his head and said yes ok no problem - but then he looked at my account and said "You have basic cable out of the wall - you don't need a cable card unless you have Advanced Digital which is a minimum $60 more per month than what you're paying now. That's not what you want, is it?"

I would maybe have thought he was full of crap and just trying to get my bill up, but he literally tried to talk me out of it.
Tell him that while what he says is pretty much true, in your case your TiVo won't map the channels to their correct position in the guide, making your TiVo worthless as a DVR and you'd have to manually schedule all your recordings. A tivo needs a cablecard to channel map correctly, no matter what your package is. That's what I always did and it worked like a charm.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #65
Nola111

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Tell him that while what he says is pretty much true, in your case your TiVo won't map the channels to their correct position in the guide, making your TiVo worthless as a DVR and you'd have to manually schedule all your recordings. A tivo needs a cablecard to channel map correctly, no matter what your package is. That's what I always did and it worked like a charm.
Thanks HarperVision. Unfortunately, I'd already sent the Roamio back by the time I read your post I have a Premiere on the way to me and I'll just use that for my analog cable channels which is really all I need. Thanks.
Nola111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:16 PM   #66
traveler100

I'm just starting up my Roamio basic having upgraded from my Non-cable card Series II TiVo. Irritated that my cable company will pry another $2 from my pocket for their card. I've read this thread top to bottom hoping that your knowledge would enlighten me about operation without the card. I've done the manual scan, Tivo acknowledged some 900 channels. I have basic extended service and all channels are recognized by TiVo, only the QAM tuner channels are viewable. Ironically all channels show in the TiVo guide but only the encrypted channels show the individual channels programming, but they are not viewable or recordable. All QAM channels are recordable but without programming information TiVo is of little value. I assume the guide information shown for the encrypted channels is pulled from the area code and service provider info input on TiVo start-up. Unless I'm able to find a black market M-Card tied to my service provider I'll be headed to their office and let them pry two more bucks/month from my back pocket. If I've missed something here guys help me out. I'm not cheap, but I am frugal.
traveler100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #67
keke1987

Cable Card & Premier 4 TiVo

Question. I have the Premier 4 and WOW cable. Do I have to have the cable card in order for it to work?
keke1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:17 PM   #68
shfawaz

I didn't need one.