TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
rhatsaruck

Question S2 DT problems with Xfinity 8xx channels in south Palm Beach county FL

I have my Comcast Xfinity cable box configured so that I can record the one channel I'm watching using my TiVo Series 2 dual tuner. This was working fine until the end of April 2012. I could watch any channel from 2 through 846 and I could watch all channels for hours without interruption.

Sometime during April 2012 Comcast changed their service in some way they won't admit to me. Prior to that date I could watch their music channels (numbered 801 thru 846) for hours on end with no problems. After that date the music channels stop working after a few hours. When this happens I have to either refresh the cable box (using the Comcast automated refresh facility), physically turn off/on the cable box, or reset the TiVo.

Am I the only one experiencing this problem? I'm not interested in purchasing a new TiVo - it's beyond my budget.
rhatsaruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:00 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhatsaruck View Post
I have my Comcast Xfinity cable box configured so that I can record the one channel I'm watching using my TiVo Series 2 dual tuner. This was working fine until the end of April 2012. I could watch any channel from 2 through 846 and I could watch all channels for hours without interruption.

Sometime during April 2012 Comcast changed their service in some way they won't admit to me. Prior to that date I could watch their music channels (numbered 801 thru 846) for hours on end with no problems. After that date the music channels stop working after a few hours. When this happens I have to either refresh the cable box (using the Comcast automated refresh facility), physically turn off/on the cable box, or reset the TiVo.

Am I the only one experiencing this problem? I'm not interested in purchasing a new TiVo - it's beyond my budget.
Perhaps Switched Digital Video (SDV) is involved.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:13 AM   #3
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Perhaps Switched Digital Video (SDV) is involved.
Comcast doesn't use SDV.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
rhatsaruck

Perhaps it would help if I provide details on my configuration.

Prior to end of April 2012 channels in the range 2-90 were visible to me without going through the Comcast cable box. To receive channels 1 and 100 to 899 I need to use the Comcast cable box.

My configuration is:
1. Main cable line through a splitter.
2. The left splitter cable went directly to my analog (more than 10 years old) TV. I was able to watch channels 2-90 by changing channels on my TV remote.
3. The right splitter cable went into my Comcast cable box.
4. The output of my Comcast cable box plugged into my TiVo cable input.
5. The output of my TiVo (using RCA jacks) plugged into my TV.
6. To watch the output from the Comcast-TiVo configuration I set my TV channel 91 (the AV input). Using this configuration I was able to watch and record all Comcast channels. I could switch Comcast channels using the Comcast remote.

I went away five days the week of Apr 23rd. I left my Comcast/TV setup running on one of the music channels. When I returned from my trip the music channel was no longer working. I had to power off/on my Comcast cable box and reset the TiVo.

Since then my configuration does not let me listen to the music channels for more than a few hours consecutively. After that the Comcast box says the channel is not available.

Couple of questions:
1. The cable splitter I'm using is a Gemini CV60 rated for 5-900MHz. It is old -probably the same age as my TV. Do I need a newer splitter or one that is bi-directional?

2. Do I need to remove the splitter altogether? I could live with this if it's the only option.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
cannonz

If you have DT why didn't you split the cable one to cable in on tivo the other to cable box input and box's component outs to tivo to use both tuners in the DT?
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
rhatsaruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
If you have DT why didn't you split the cable one to cable in on tivo the other to cable box input and box's component outs to tivo to use both tuners in the DT?
While I appreciate this suggestion I believe you are hijacking the main point of my question. Please cease and desist.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
cannonz

Quote:
While I appreciate this suggestion I believe you are hijacking the main point of my question. Please cease and desist.
Well it might solve your problem, but personally I don't care anymore. I shall cease trying to help, good day to you.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
ajwees41

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/86

try this
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
lpwcomp

Quote:
While it is most likely that the Comcast box is the source of the problem, your setup is screwy and should be normalized to eliminate the chance that it is causing a problem. Stranger things have been known to happen.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:06 AM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Perhaps it would help if I provide details on my configuration.

Prior to end of April 2012 channels in the range 2-90 were visible to me without going through the Comcast cable box. To receive channels 1 and 100 to 899 I need to use the Comcast cable box.

My configuration is:
1. Main cable line through a splitter.
2. The left splitter cable went directly to my analog (more than 10 years old) TV. I was able to watch channels 2-90 by changing channels on my TV remote.
3. The right splitter cable went into my Comcast cable box.
4. The output of my Comcast cable box plugged into my TiVo cable input.
5. The output of my TiVo (using RCA jacks) plugged into my TV.
6. To watch the output from the Comcast-TiVo configuration I set my TV channel 91 (the AV input). Using this configuration I was able to watch and record all Comcast channels. I could switch Comcast channels using the Comcast remote.

I went away five days the week of Apr 23rd. I left my Comcast/TV setup running on one of the music channels. When I returned from my trip the music channel was no longer working. I had to power off/on my Comcast cable box and reset the TiVo.

Since then my configuration does not let me listen to the music channels for more than a few hours consecutively. After that the Comcast box says the channel is not available.

Couple of questions:
1. The cable splitter I'm using is a Gemini CV60 rated for 5-900MHz. It is old -probably the same age as my TV. Do I need a newer splitter or one that is bi-directional?

2. Do I need to remove the splitter altogether? I could live with this if it's the only option.
So you have pieces of April, but now it's a morning in May.

Does your old analog TV still receive channels 2-90 over the cable?

I can understand why you had to reboot the cable box, but I would think on the TiVo all you needed do was tune it away from channel 3 or 4 (the cable box output) and back again once the cable box was rebooted.

If the cable box is saying the channel isn't available, then either that's a "still" or "slide" the box has in its memory that it uses whenever it encounters lack of signal, or else that message is being sent down the line from the cable company.

Either way, your Television, your TiVo (either tuner) and your splitter have nothing to do with that and no control over it.

How long has your present cable box been part of your setup?

Does it have a brand name on it other than Comcast? Like say, Scientific Atlanta or Motorola?

How about a model number?

While we're at it, how about brand and model on that analog tv as well?

If Comcast is not doing SDV, this is going to take longer and a little more thinking and googling to figure out.

(I had forgotten about the tune to channel 91 trick, we had an RCA that my dad got a deal on because, despite having a numeric keypad for channel entry, it did not have and was not designed for, remote controlled capability.)

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #11
shwru980r

Take the cable box back to a comcast service center and exchange it for a new one.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #12
rhatsaruck

After further experimentation I believe the root cause of the problem is a weak signal on the cable line due to a long cable run.

What I thought was my main cable line (as described in my original post) is actually a 30ft run from a Comcast-provided splitter from my true main cable drop.

In other words my original configuration is based on splitting a line that is itself split from my main cable drop.

My main cable drop has a Comcast-provided splitter (Extreme is the brand name).

The left cable from this splitter is short - about 3ft. When I connect my main set-top box to this cable everything runs great and I get all the channels I expect.

The right cable from this splitter runs about 30ft into my living room. I was trying to split and then connect off this run. When I remove the splitter from the end of this run my set-top box runs fine.

Slightly off topic: how long of a cable run can one expect using this type of technology? (I know that properly shielded ethernet cables are good for 100meters given no conflicting electrical interference.) I suspect that coax signals and media are much more susceptible to electromagnetic interference. Is there an easy and cheap way to to test the signal strength on a Comcast-type configuration?
Old 06-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #13
cannonz

Try cutting connectors off and replacing, 30' shouldn't give you any problems.