TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
pivotalrex

Premiere XL ...worth the purchase?

We currently have a series 2 tivo and a cable HD DVR 40 hr capacity. Considering purchasing the premiere XL to replace both dvr's. We don't use vod so I'm not concerned with losing that. I've read through a lot of posts that complain about the UI for tivo though.

For those of you that have the premiere xl, how do you like it? Would you purchase it again or go for something else?
pivotalrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
celtic pride

I love mine! but if i was you i would either get the premiere XL4 or the NEW tivo premier 4 ,both have 4 tuners so you can record up to 4 channels at once while the tivo premiere xl can only record 2 programs at once with its 2 tuners.check out zatz not funny website for more info,or better yet here in the tivo community forums,or of course tivo.com for more info.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
pivotalrex

thanks celtic pride,

you haven't had any UI issues?

we considered the XL4 but I'm not sure we need the 4 tuners, the XL allows you to watch non digital channels (as few as there are anymore) and if I want to upgrade the hard drive I know it can be doubled for less than 200 bucks later on.

but thank you for the heads up. the xl4 isn't completely out of the running, just that anything would be an improvement over a 5 yr old series 2 analog at this point and I'm not sure we need the XL4 but could always upgrade later.
pivotalrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:38 AM   #4
magnus
Tivo User

I'd get the xl4 if I had cable. But if you ever consider using OTA then the tuners won't work for it, then you would need a regular 2 tuner Premiere.

HDUI on TiVo is good they just need to finish up all the settings screens. No telling when that might be.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivotalrex View Post
We currently have a series 2 tivo and a cable HD DVR 40 hr capacity. Considering purchasing the premiere XL to replace both dvr's. We don't use vod so I'm not concerned with losing that. I've read through a lot of posts that complain about the UI for tivo though.

For those of you that have the premiere xl, how do you like it? Would you purchase it again or go for something else?
Love my XL4

4 tuners allow recording 2+ shows while watching another
Huge capacity allows a season of football or all the Olympics

No problem with UI

Comcast VOD works with XL4 in the greater Boston area, other markets to follow
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
markp99
TakoKichi

I was skeptical I would want to replace my trusty S3 which we had for years. So, I bought it with full intent to take advantage of BB 14 day return priv. But never returned and retired the S3!

I can say our XL4 is WELL worth the upgrade! Very happy with the added function and performance.
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivotalrex View Post
we considered the XL4 but I'm not sure we need the 4 tuners, the XL allows you to watch non digital channels (as few as there are anymore) and if I want to upgrade the hard drive I know it can be doubled for less than 200 bucks later on.
If you have a cable card in there (which you presumably will), you most likely WON'T be seeing non-digital channels. You'll be getting the simulcast digital (non-HD) versions. If the channels are simulcast, you CAN'T tune into the analog ones when you have a cable card in there. (I would, for some channels, for space reasons.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
jrtroo
User

If you don't need four tuners I would get the lower end model and upgrade the drive to 2TB on my own. For just the cost of the drive.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
celtic pride

If i decide to stay with verizon i'll have to get me at least 1 XL4,because in the fall i watch nba league pass ,and a lot of shows on the networks that my wife and i watch are on at the same time!,Espeically on monday nights when i like to watch every show on cbs,plus nfl football and theres other nights as well where there are 3 or 4 shows on at the same time that we want to watch.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #10
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I get TV from OTA, so the decision is easier for me.

Between the Premiere and Premiere XL, I'd have to go with the Premiere.
Hard drive size is not a problem (upgrading is easy).
THX certification? Eh, I haven't heard any evidence that the Premiere is lacking any hardware (other than the hard drive) that differentiates it from the XL. I bet if the Premiere was submitted for THX certification, it would pass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
ltxi

My opinion is this is a really good upgrade..and I'm still using SD menus
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
I was skeptical I would want to replace my trusty S3 which we had for years. So, I bought it with full intent to take advantage of BB 14 day return priv. But never returned and retired the S3!

I can say our XL4 is WELL worth the upgrade! Very happy with the added function and performance.
Tell me more about this retired S3.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote