TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:26 AM   #61
Dan203
Super Moderator

Solution.... Just do like I did and buy both.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:29 AM   #62
HarperVision

I certainly may do just that!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #63
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
It's not vaporware at all because at worst from day one I'll be able to hook my HDMI tuner (tivo, cable dvr, xbox 360 MCE, directv etc) through it and take advantage of its tv integration functionality and WAY more apps than Roamio, as well as Blu ray and gaming and a host of other functions. Plus at least it has the "possibility" of being more (IPTV, cloud dvr, etc), which is also most likely more than you can say about TiVo.

Look, I'm not trying to bash TiVo. I said it many times, I LOVE it......for what it is. It's just a LOT of $$$ initial investment so I'm trying to think ahead and also weigh my options and the easiest path to get there later on.

Have you ever setup WMC whole home with decent extenders and multiple tuners with cablecards? Its essentially tivo without the high priced "service charges" that i personally am starting to feel would be better spent towards things like bigger storage, upgrading components, etc. If so and it worked well with a good setup, I think you and others would see my point a lot more clearly.
Yes, I have a WMC system with extenders right now. I also have a Tivo Elite, and had HDs and Premieres before that. Both of these setups have pluses and minuses, but personally I prefer using the Tivo (the wife uses WMC). You cannot say that either is better than the other on a factual basis, it all depends on how you use them.

What makes you think the Roamio couldn't do future IPTV or cloud-based DVR services? sbiller already posted a thread about Tivo wanting to do cloud services for cableCos, and IPTV is just waiting on an industry standard for Tivo to implement. Granted, the Xbone might get there quicker because just about anyone is faster to market than the snail-like Tivo, but they'll be the best DVR for whatever comes after cards IMO.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote