TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
Emacee

Better Cable Card Set-up

There has to be a better way to set up a new Comcast with an M-cable card than calling the cable company and reading off numbers on the phone. I recently set up a new box: Spent half a day (on and off) on the phone before they agreed to send out service rep. The cable card can talk to the cable company to order on demand programming. It should be able to send set-up and diagnostic information, also.
Plus a Roku2 for Netflix, Amazon Prime
Previously:
Hughes DirecTivo (02-06)
Phillips Series1 (99-03)
Emacee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
WhiskeyTango

Thats not now a cable card works. It's a one way device.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
jrtroo
User

Do you know what the field rep will do? Call someone in the back office.

Were you talking with the cablecard hotline folks? They are better than a normal CSR (but not always).

Before dealing with a field rep, I would escallate to a higher level. Their CARES group has more leverage than a phone rep. No need for a trip unless you have bad signal levels.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
ramblinche81

No Issues Here with Comcast Cablecard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emacee View Post
There has to be a better way to set up a new Comcast with an M-cable card than calling the cable company and reading off numbers on the phone. I recently set up a new box: Spent half a day (on and off) on the phone before they agreed to send out service rep. The cable card can talk to the cable company to order on demand programming. It should be able to send set-up and diagnostic information, also.
I am on my fourth TiVo install in last four months. No issues at all working with Comcast CCard team.

The card either works, or not, if the card doesn't work during initial load and install and give channels within 40minutes, don't waste your time, replace it.

The failure rate for the cards seems to be higher than anyone would expect.

One of my boxes did take three cards. The first two failed. Fortunately, I already had two boxes working so I was comfortable with the pairing and start up processes.
ramblinche81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:53 AM   #5
csm10495
Badoop Badoop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emacee View Post
I believe that Comcast On Demand is delivered via an internet connection. It doesn't use the cablecard for sending those signals. Comcast is one of the only providers to allow the TiVo to access on demand. In the future maybe card activation could occur automatically over the web, and yet once that happens, what would be the point of the card? The channel authentication (what the card does) could also be done online. Providers won't like this because they won't have a reason to charge TiVo users any type of equipment fee.
Netflix 1 DVD At A Time - Unlimited Streaming
csm10495 is offline   Reply With Quote