TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
maury

NAS and TiVo Desktop...

I've reached critical mass on my desktop to the point where if my media hard drive fails, I have no backup, and the storage is growing so that I don't really want to just keep adding drives to my desktop. I'm not a fan of encumbering my PC with RAID and the various limitations it has.

I have documents and other less consuming files already backed up, but my media files are at risk. I don't want to become a Storage or Sys Admin, so if I can, I want to use Drobo.

I just remembered TiVo desktop has processes running in my PC (Win7), which I don't want to leave on all the time just so I can connect to it via my TiVo. I presume these processes and services are what enables my Premier to find the videos on my network. Is there any way for the TiVo to see files on a NAS array? How would that work without a booted PC pointing to the files?
maury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
telemark

I'm new to this, but I'm sure if I say something wrong someone will correct me.

Most all NAS boxes won't speak directly to a Tivo. If you're willing to leave the PC running though, or when needed, it should be able to translate between the NAS and a Tivo.

Alternatively, simpler, many NAS can serve files directly to some streamers. If you get a MPEG2 streamer (rare but they exist), you would be able play files directly off the NAS on the TV.

I forgot to ask what kind of TV it is, as some TV's can play directly too.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

pyTivo will run natively on many NAS boxes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by maury View Post
I've reached critical mass on my desktop to the point where if my media hard drive fails, I have no backup, and the storage is growing so that I don't really want to just keep adding drives to my desktop. I'm not a fan of encumbering my PC with RAID and the various limitations it has.

I have documents and other less consuming files already backed up, but my media files are at risk. I don't want to become a Storage or Sys Admin, so if I can, I want to use Drobo.

I just remembered TiVo desktop has processes running in my PC (Win7), which I don't want to leave on all the time just so I can connect to it via my TiVo. I presume these processes and services are what enables my Premier to find the videos on my network. Is there any way for the TiVo to see files on a NAS array? How would that work without a booted PC pointing to the files?

If you're running TiVo Desktop, it has a My TiVo Recordings folder (which doesn't have to be on the partition it defaults to being placed on when you install Desktop).

You can put a "shortcut" to other folders in the MTR folder and the TiVo will have a folder near the bottom of its Now Playing list with the name of the computer, but just the contents of the MTR folder, including subfolders which are the other folders you have shortcuts for in the PC's MTR folder.

These other folders can be on any partition on any drive connected to the PC motherboard, directly or via USB (probably Firewire as well if you do that).

Also, if the PC can see a NAS and assign it a drive letter, you can put a shortcut to that drive letter in the MTR folder and it'll show up as just another subfolder in the PC name folder in the TiVo's NPL.

I do that with a Buffalo Link Station Pro.

So, you can use Desktop to copy shows from TiVos on your account, and it'll put them in the MTR folder, and you can move them from that folder to any of the other folders you have shortcuts for in the MTR folder, and the TiVos will be able to see them and copy them back.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote