TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
rbrown3rd
Dedicated DTivo'er

Directivo satellite gear upgrade

I started another thread http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...38#post9459238 where I asked for help about some odd behavior by my very old DSR6000 DirecTivo DVR. Considering the ages of all my gear I'm guessing the best answer is an upgrade. I'm concerned about making a mistake by just taking the standard offer by DirectTV since I am a stickler for picture quality. I would appreciate any advice as to what I should ask for. A call to DirecTV resulted in an offer to upgrade for a net cost of $19.95 but I didn't get any receiver model numbers. Any advice regarding upgrades?
2 DirecTV receivers (1 in RV)
rbrown3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
The important question to ask yourself is: "How important is the TiVo UI to me?". If the TiVo UI is more important than everything else, then order the new DirecTV TiVo (THR22). There is an additional $5/month charge for this. Otherwise, I recommend asking for the HR34, aka "Genie" - the best of the DirecTV-Plus DVRs. If you don't ask for either of these, then you'll get "whatever's on the truck" for a model. The deal you were offered was "pot luck" on the model, except it won't be either the HR34 or THR22. You could get anything from an HR20 through an HR24.

Picture quality isn't a differentiator here - they're all the same in that regard. You lose many features by opting for the THR22, such as 3D, network apps, streaming and VOD (despite what DirecTV says - VOD doesn't work on the THR22.)

Within the HR2x models, they differ in disk size and UI speed. The HR24 is best among these.

Are you planning on keeping any of the SD DTiVos? If so, then that limits you somewhat as you can't use a dish with an integrated SWM (single wire multiswitch). The HR34 requires a SWM setup. One can get a separate SWM module with "legacy" outputs, but this will cost you.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
Thom

In a genuine TiVo DVR (both satellite and standalone), the Season Pass Manager can have a LOT of Season Passes and Wishlists to search for in the guide data.

In a DirecTV satellite DVR, the equivalent of the Season Pass Manager limits you to a maximum of 50 different items to search the guide data for. I'm told this limitation also applies to the THR22 DVR, which is a DirecTV DVR with a thin veneer of TiVo user interface overlayed on the core DirecTV DVR function.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
rbrown3rd
Dedicated DTivo'er

Thanks very much. That is exactly the info I was looking for.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:44 AM   #5
bigpuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
In a genuine TiVo DVR (both satellite and standalone), the Season Pass Manager can have a LOT of Season Passes and Wishlists to search for in the guide data.

In a DirecTV satellite DVR, the equivalent of the Season Pass Manager limits you to a maximum of 50 different items to search the guide data for. I'm told this limitation also applies to the THR22 DVR, which is a DirecTV DVR with a thin veneer of TiVo user interface overlayed on the core DirecTV DVR function.

I believe The DirecTV Genie (HR34) has a limit of 100 series, while the other DirecTV DVRs do have the 50 series limit.
bigpuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
No limit on the THR22. The core software is very different from the HRxx series.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
Thom

Stevel -

Are you sure of that? I'm fairly sure that I've read elsewhere on TiVocommunity that the THR22 is limited. If I'm wrong, then I'll change my DirecTV DVRs to THR22s.

Thom
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I have never seen anything to suggest otherwise. I don't have that many Season Passes on mine, but the 50 limit is related to the DirecTV-Plus software and there's no reason for it to be artificially added to the TiVo software.

Edit: Checked dbstalk and confirmed the THR22 has no limit. See http://hr20.dbstalk.com/docs/Tivo%20First%20Look.pdf
Old 01-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #9
rbrown3rd
Dedicated DTivo'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post

Are you planning on keeping any of the SD DTiVos? If so, then that limits you somewhat as you can't use a dish with an integrated SWM (single wire multiswitch). The HR34 requires a SWM setup. One can get a separate SWM module with "legacy" outputs, but this will cost you.
Only one in the RV.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #10
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpuma View Post
I believe The DirecTV Genie (HR34) has a limit of 100 series, while the other DirecTV DVRs do have the 50 series limit.
Confirmed (Well, I can at least confirm that the HR34 allows 63 series, since that's how many I currently have)

If one wants to stay with DirecTV, I honestly recommend the HR34 over the Tivo offering, since it's so much more feature rich.
kaszeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:23 AM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown3rd View Post
Thanks very much. That is exactly the info I was looking for.
I told you to put your question where the right guys would notice.

Although you might want to wait to see if classicsat chimes in.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote