TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
buscuitboy

Question Series 3 & one cable card

I have a Series 3 HD TiVo (TCD648250) with lifetime. Its giving me some reboot issues and I think its the hard drive (see other post). I haven't had time to fully replace the hard drive (with a new image). Until then, I am using a TiVo Premiere I recently purchased & had a question concerning the cable cards for this S3 unit.

I know this S3 takes two cable cards and its also possible to have just one in it that will essentially make it a single tuner DVR. However, can it maybe also have unscrambled (HD & analog) channels on the other tuner? Kind of making it a 1.5 tuner DVR in a sense. Or is this not possible & the two types of tuners can't be mixed and matched.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
travisc77

I have an S3 in my daughters room on lifetime service and using only one cable card. Only one tuner works with one cable card. If you have no cable card, both tuners will work with cable, but no HD signal. If you have no cable cards and an antenna you can tune both tuners with an HD signal.

My daughter isnt that concerned at 7 years old, so I save the $3 a month and do not get the second card.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
buscuitboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisc77 View Post
If you have no cable card, both tuners will work with cable, but no HD signal.
Someone here mentioned that it will work with HD channels with no cable cards, but there will be no program guide. I can work with this if needed. Comcast is pulling some cable card shenanigans with me and hence the reason for not simply getting two cable cards for this S3. Essentially, they would charge me about $16/month to have 2 cable cards for it. Therefore, since my S3 is sort of on the fritz, I wound up getting another Premiere during the recent $50 promo they had.

If I ever get this S3 back up and running soon here, I was hoping to either use it with one cable card or stick it in a spare bedroom and then transfer/MRV HD recorded content from it to my Premiere.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
mattack

No, with ONE cable card, it is a ONE TUNER DEVICE.. regardless of what the source of the recording is.. this has been answered in a million other threads.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
buscuitboy

Exclamation

Well, its now been mentioned in a million and one threads Plus, this method is MUCH easier than searching those other million threads. direct answers.

I guess I'll probably just use no cable cards and have the straight coax cable going to it. Then record the HD channels (2-1, 4-1, 11-1, etc.) as needed and MRV them over my network & to Premiere units.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
mattack

If you record channels manually, everything will show up as 'manual recording'.. Using a Tivo this way (for ALL recordings, yes I do use manual recordings sometimes) really is worse than a subscriptionless DVR, IMHO.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #7
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
Well, its now been mentioned in a million and one threads Plus, this method is MUCH easier than searching those other million threads. direct answers.

I guess I'll probably just use no cable cards and have the straight coax cable going to it. Then record the HD channels (2-1, 4-1, 11-1, etc.) as needed and MRV them over my network & to Premiere units.
Are the 2-1, etc. channels actually HD or just the digital SD ones? On my system the x-1 channels are digital SD and the three digit channels are the HD versions. In any case, you are right that there will be no Guide Data and the manual recordings will have non-descript titles.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
buscuitboy

Well, I JUST got a notice from Xfinity/Comcast stating that as of June 26th, ALL TVs in my home will HAVE to have some sort of Comcast digital equipment. Either a cable card, DTA or digital box. Even the local basic package (ch2-30) will require something.

Therefore, my possible desire to have my S3 hooked up with JUST the coax cable, record HD locals and then MRV them to two other Premieres won't be possible after all.

Comcast is REALLY making it harder and harder for me to stay with them. With this nonsense, I'm gonna seriously start revisting the idea & looking into the option of using just an outdoor antenna (attached to TiVos) along with Netflix.

Last edited by buscuitboy : 06-02-2012 at 12:15 PM.