Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-17-2015, 02:35 PM   #571
Ozzie72

TC CLUB MEMBER
How Penn Jillette Lost 100 Pounds in 100 Days

Quote:
After high blood pressure landed Penn Jillette in the hospital some time back, he knew it was time for a change.

The famed magician and illusionist from Penn & Teller dropped from 330 pounds down to 225 by eating healthier and cutting down his intake.

“My doctor said I needed to get my weight down, and if I brought it down 30 or 40 pounds, it would be a little easier to control. And then he said something in passing that completely blew my mind: he said, ‘If you got down to 230, you probably wouldn't need any of the meds,’ ” he told People magazine.

So, that's just what he did.

From the end of the year until now, Jillette, 60, has been eating just 1,000 calories a day and dropped almost a pound a day. Now, after reaching his goal weight in March, he maintains by avoiding processed grains and added sugar, among other things. Jillette eats mostly salads and greens, along with brown rice.

“I could probably have a steak or a doughnut every couple of weeks, but I just haven’t felt like it,” he added.

He didn't work out while losing all the weight, but now weight lifts, take tricycle rides and does a “scientific 7-minute workout.” He trains every other day.

The one downside is new clothes. He went from a 44 waist to a 34.

“It’s really expensive because the suits on the Penn & Teller show cost a s*** ton, and so we had to get all new suits,” he said.

Xbox Gamertag: Ozzie72
Ozzie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:28 PM   #572
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
Oh, my - such rapid weight loss can be unhealthy in itself. I hope he is ok!
That was my thought also, but it all was supervised, etc.

waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:15 PM   #573
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
That was my thought also, but it all was supervised, etc.
Good to know-thanks, all!

Old 05-18-2015, 09:29 PM   #574
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
Watching the episode with Mo Rocca, I discovered something new and surprising. He got an answer wrong, and then the CNN guy buzzed in and also got it wrong, then Mo Rocca buzzed in again and Alex had to tell him that he couldn't do that.

I had no idea that the buzzer would even work for a contestant in such an instance. I would have thought the contestant would be locked out for the duration of that clue. I had never seen that before, I guess because non-celebrity contestants are smart enough to know not to even try.
(I'm still way behind on episodes..)

I am almost positive I've seen real contestants try to do that.

Also, I think you're expecting much more of the show is automated/enforced technologically than really is. IIRC, there's a person who listens to each clue and turns on the light when Alex finishes reading.

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:41 AM   #575
astrohip
Stuart F

TC CLUB MEMBER
Some horrid FJ wagering lately. While this new three-day champ is a fun player to watch, and his breadth of knowledge is impressive, his wagering leaves much to be desired.

Had yesterday's FJ been a triple stumper, he would have lost for no reason other than poor wagering.

Quote:
Dan Feitel: $20,000+$19,999=$39,999...now a 3-day champion with $85,598
Adrienne Onofri: $15,700+$14,701=$30,401
Ivan Tan: $15,200-$15,200=$0
TS would leave them at $1, $999 and $0. Worst case scenario has the leader betting enough to cover an all-in from #2 ($31,400), so he bets $11,401, and ends up with $8,599 if he misses.

Just terrible strategy on all their parts.

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:53 AM   #576
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Some horrid FJ wagering lately. While this new three-day champ is a fun player to watch, and his breadth of knowledge is impressive, his wagering leaves much to be desired.

Had yesterday's FJ been a triple stumper, he would have lost for no reason other than poor wagering.

TS would leave them at $1, $999 and $0. Worst case scenario has the leader betting enough to cover an all-in from #2 ($31,400), so he bets $11,401, and ends up with $8,599 if he misses.

Just terrible strategy on all their parts.
It's enough to drive the final wager guy to drink.

stupid wager

Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:25 AM   #577
markp99
TakoKichi

I don't watch Jeopardy very much any more, but I did happen to catch this one!

I also noticed a Daily Double on $1000, the woman had a pretty good bank but only wagered $300. She did give the correct answer, but that seemed pretty conservative.

markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:22 PM   #578
astrohip
Stuart F

TC CLUB MEMBER
I can't take it. The only possible worse FJ wager would be a Clavin. I don't care how good he is, or what his wheelhouse is, that was just stupid. Stupid!

ETA: Referring to Monday June 1 game.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:47 PM   #579
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

Yes, watched todays airing (I don't watch very often) and couldn't believe his wager. Didn't realize he had a habit of doing it.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:15 PM   #580
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I can't take it. The only possible worse FJ wager would be a Clavin.
Speaking of... has anybody ever pulled an actual Clavin in a real match before (whether successfully or not)?

(For the purposes of this question, I'll accept any instance of a person going into FJ with more than 2x the second place contestant, and then betting enough that with a wrong answer they would dip below 2x the second place contestant)

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:25 PM   #581
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
This comes close. It was in a tournament to go to the final round.

Dummy

Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:30 PM   #582
busyba
The Funcooker

Wow, that was bad.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:38 PM   #583
astrohip
Stuart F

TC CLUB MEMBER
I remember that three-way -zero-. Ugh. But at least they were kids.

Almost overlooked in the FJ wagering was 2nd place. She made a wager just as bad. By wagering -0-, the only way she wins is if the leader makes an incredibly stupid bet (whodathunk?). Why she doesn't wager to actually win we'll never know.

Code:
Dan Feitel: $14,000+$13,999=$27,999...now a 5-day champion with $127,998
Victoria Machado: $7,600-$0=$7,600
Randy Pike: (-$2,600)

Old 06-02-2015, 07:26 AM   #584
astrohip
Stuart F

TC CLUB MEMBER
Someone on the Final Wager made this comment, re second place's wager:

Quote:
If Victoria knows Dan’s wagering strategy, AND she knows she’s terrible at sports knowledge,then I don’t think it’s a bad bet wagering $0. If she knows that Dan’s going to bet it all minus $1, then her only chance to win second place is for him to miss. And, if she knows that she’s is terribly poor at sports knowledge, then why bet money on a question you know you’ll miss? If Dan would have missed, she would have made the most amount of money she could have, by not wagering anything.

It is true that this reason stands only on knowledge of both her own sports trivia abilities and knowing Dan’s betting, but if she knows both to be true, then she is making the best of a poor situtation.
So in all fairness to Victoria, perhaps there was a reason for her wager. Unless we hear from her, we'll never know if she's incredibly astute, or just unstute.