TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
TZR916

Overlap Question

I'm a Tivo newbie. Seems almost every recording I have cuts about 15 seconds off the very end of the program. I have like 90 season passes on my Elite. What's gonna happen if I go into every timer and set them all to end 1 minute over? Am I gonna start seeing a bunch of conflicts or does it just start the next timer one minute late or ???

Any way I could just adjust the Tivo's internal clock like 15 seconds, ya right
TZR916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

It's a give and take situation.
If you go into the Settings menu under Recording and enable overlap protection, you can force your season passes to run a minute longer without creating conflicts (the conflict being that a show doesn't get recorded).
The caveat is some of your recordings will possibly have the beginning clipped by one minute. It all depends on season pass priority and program schedules.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:44 AM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

Is it a west coast thing? I only have two or three season passes that I need to extend the recordings by a minute. The rest get the entire show properly. Besides, even the ones I do extend, they start and stop at exactly the right time. It is the station that takes the show past the hour by 30 seconds or so. The TiVo is in sync with the time I have set from the atomic clock.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
TZR916

Actually timers on ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS are fine. It's all the timers on Travel, A&E, History, ID, TLC, TRU that the end gets cut off.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZR916 View Post
Actually timers on ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS are fine. It's all the timers on Travel, A&E, History, ID, TLC, TRU that the end gets cut off.
So then the time is correct. It's those channels that decide too run the programs longer.

Shows on those channels are typically repeated numerous times. You can just extend the recording times by a minute, and make sure you don't have the clipping option on. THose shows can be lower priority since they are broadcast multiple times. If there is a conflict because of the extra minute, the TiVo will just record one of the later broadcasts.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
contsole

Some of the cable channels are behind because of the number of satellite trips taken and the extra decoding/transcoding/etc they go through before they get to your Tivo. I bet they're right on time at their source.
contsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
TZR916

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
...If you go into the Settings menu under Recording and enable overlap protection, you can force your season passes to run a minute longer without creating conflicts (the conflict being that a show doesn't get recorded).
The caveat is some of your recordings will possibly have the beginning clipped by one minute...
If I do this, will I be notified in advance when a "clipping" would occur?
Old 04-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by contsole View Post
Some of the cable channels are behind because of the number of satellite trips taken and the extra decoding/transcoding/etc they go through before they get to your Tivo. I bet they're right on time at their source.
that's a really interesting hypothesis. But doesn't network TV also bounce off a satellite- and probably 2 if it's a sporting event too?

Are the big 4 just wise enough to start 15 seconds early to be on time?
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

Even a few trips up and down through a satellite would not cause a delay as long as 15 seconds.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
mattack

Quote:
Umm, no. CBS overlaps programs at least on Monday nights.. or at least did until very recently.. (Though I think the last new episode of Two Broke Girls was still cut off.).. There was at least one week recently where surprisingly it didn't happen.

NBC *definitely* overlaps everything on Thursday nights.

Need more tuners, or even better, smart recording ability to use the same tuner for the same channel on abutting recordings with overlap. I would pay $$$ for this capability, since it would effectively double the number of tuners I have.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:12 AM   #11
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
If I do this, will I be notified in advance when a "clipping" would occur?
IIRC, any show that is going to be clipped will be noted with an asterisk in the To Do List.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #12
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Umm, no. CBS overlaps programs at least on Monday nights.. or at least did until very recently.. (Though I think the last new episode of Two Broke Girls was still cut off.).. There was at least one week recently where surprisingly it didn't happen.

NBC *definitely* overlaps everything on Thursday nights.

Need more tuners, or even better, smart recording ability to use the same tuner for the same channel on abutting recordings with overlap. I would pay $$$ for this capability, since it would effectively double the number of tuners I have.
We've had this discussion before, because I remember posting this before...

For me, CBS almost never overlaps on Mondays. I record pretty much all of CBS Monday, and my recordings do not have any padding. And it's never a problem. So any problems you have are probably local. I do know local affiliates can wreak havoc, as my parents TiVo (in CO) constantly clips the end of Monday CBS shows.

NBC does screw up Thursdays; I have padding on all my NBC Thursday SPs.

I bought an Elite for this very reason. I can pad to my heart's delight with four tuners. Well, most of the time...
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #13
TZR916

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
IIRC, any show that is going to be clipped will be noted with an asterisk in the To Do List.
Ok, thanks.

Before I go through my 95 timers, one more question... What has higher priority:
Season Pass timer(s)
or
a One-time recording (not setup in season pass)

If it's the season pass timer(s), how do I make a one-time recording have THE highest priority.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #14
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
For me, CBS almost never overlaps on Mondays. I record pretty much all of CBS Monday, and my recordings do not have any padding. And it's never a problem. So any problems you have are probably local. I do know local affiliates can wreak havoc, as my parents TiVo (in CO) constantly clips the end of Monday CBS shows.
Isn't network programming essentially just "playing the tape" (recorded from earlier satellite broadcasts), with local commercials inserted?

It seems highly unlikely to me that a major network affiliate would consistently be doing something like delaying the expensive prime time programming.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #15
L David Matheny

Quote:
Before I go through my 95 timers, one more question... What has higher priority:
Season Pass timer(s)
or
a One-time recording (not setup in season pass)

If it's the season pass timer(s), how do I make a one-time recording have THE highest priority.
I'm pretty sure that one-time recordings have priority over season passes.
L David Matheny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #16
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Isn't network programming essentially just "playing the tape" (recorded from earlier satellite broadcasts), with local commercials inserted?

It seems highly unlikely to me that a major network affiliate would consistently be doing something like delaying the expensive prime time programming.
I agree with you (or should I say, I thought the same), but every time I visit my parents and set a few of "my" shows to record, it clips them. EX: 2.5 men, never padded, never cut off at home (Houston, OTA or Comcast). Set it at my parent's (Comcast in Aspen), and it always gets clipped. Always. Drives me nuts until I remember to pad. I've asked them about this, and they say, "Oh yeah, it always does that on certain shows".

Obviously they don't take their TV watching as seriously as I do, since they just shrug it off. Me--I'd be ranting on TCF.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #17
MichaelK

Quote:

i haven't been up on this since way back in the "early days" when there was basically just HD on OTA with a handful of cable/directv channels in HD - but at least back then - EVERY local station with the exception of fox has would get the high quality national feed and then compress/encode it themselves (with whatever hardware they decided to buy- and whatever bitrate and settings they wanted as there was no official standard) and then send that out. So presumably if one affiliate is "behind" while most are on time then that station may have a slow encoder or something else in their chain slowing it down. Would account for a a few seconds delay I'd guess (others would know better)

Fox came up with some technology that allows them to send the national signal already packaged for ATSC over the air transmission while allowing the local affiliates to insert their bugs or other local stuff (like maybe weather alert crawls?). So - unless things have changed- only fox affiliates are all running 'on network time'.

Last edited by MichaelK : 04-25-2012 at 06:37 PM.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote