TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
ajergo
A.J.

TiVo 800 Phone Tech Support Quality

I was just wondering what everybody thinks about the quality of the Level One TiVo Tech Support when calling 1-877-367-8486 ?

I just purchased a new TiVo Premiere box and had some bad experiences with Tech Support giving me bad advice. Not sure if this is typical or not. Please reply with both positive and negative experiences.
ajergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
celtic pride

I've had mixed results, once the csr sounded like he just wanted to get rid of me! another time the csr had me try a few thinks which solved my problem. I might have to call them again because i transfered a movie from the bedroom tivo to the living room tivo(both premiere xls) and the movie audio is out of sync. I gues i'll have to buy 2 tivo N adapters to see if that helps like they recommended.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
ajergo
A.J.

Arrow

Negative Experiences:
1) 2 Days after hooking up TiVo Premiere, before I even could get HD Menu's I was doing some manual service connections which failed twice. Called Tech support and gave them the error number (which was not on TiVo.com support). Immediately I was told this is a hard drive error and I need a free new TiVo (no cost to me). Tech support person never asked any other questions or did any further diagnosis. Error messages stopped after that and made several more calls to Tech support and found out I was missing "Groups". So, it had nothing to do with my HD. Luckily it was a weekend and I was able to stop the replacement box from being shipped before Monday.

2) After getting some "Groups" added so I could get HD Menu's, I could not get the whole house DVR feature to work to transfer shows between different TiVo boxes. Spent a whole hour on the phone rebooting and restarting boxes and eventually told it was a problem with my router not allowing certain ports to be open; even though a TiVo Menu that checks the ports showed no problems. Later, after I called back for the 5th or 6th time I found out the problem was due to more missing "Groups".

Eventually, 10 days later, once TiVo 3rd level support enabled all my Groups, all my problems were solved. BUT, it was a very frustrating experience I and should not have had to spend all this time on the phone with tech support.
ajergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I've called cs a few times over the years. Everything has always gone smoothly and I've never had any issues with them.
Judging from what I've read here on TCF, I have to assume that many problems that people have with cs is caused by their own inability to actually explain things properly and then again with their inability to understand what they are being told.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Jackamus

Hit or Miss

I've had hit or miss service when calling TiVo. They have a world class device but the customer service doesn't match up.

One time I called and the guy thought I was bothering him. So after less than a few moments I hung up on him.

Other than that, I really like my service.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
GoEagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajergo View Post
Negative Experiences:
1) 2 Days after hooking up TiVo Premiere, before I even could get HD Menu's I was doing some manual service connections which failed twice. Called Tech support and gave them the error number (which was not on TiVo.com support). Immediately I was told this is a hard drive error and I need a free new TiVo (no cost to me). Tech support person never asked any other questions or did any further diagnosis. Error messages stopped after that and made several more calls to Tech support and found out I was missing "Groups". So, it had nothing to do with my HD. Luckily it was a weekend and I was able to stop the replacement box from being shipped before Monday.

2) After getting some "Groups" added so I could get HD Menu's, I could not get the whole house DVR feature to work to transfer shows between different TiVo boxes. Spent a whole hour on the phone rebooting and restarting boxes and eventually told it was a problem with my router not allowing certain ports to be open; even though a TiVo Menu that checks the ports showed no problems. Later, after I called back for the 5th or 6th time I found out the problem was due to more missing "Groups".

Eventually, 10 days later, once TiVo 3rd level support enabled all my Groups, all my problems were solved. BUT, it was a very frustrating experience I and should not have had to spend all this time on the phone with tech support.
The same thing happened to me regarding the "groups" configuration on TiVo's end.
GoEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
severe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoEagles View Post
The same thing happened to me regarding the "groups" configuration on TiVo's end.
And here.

Was this resolved for you GoEagles? What were the steps?

Seems everywhere I turn I'm reading mention of this groups issue, including TiVo's support forums where it seems to have gone unanswered.

My post

TiVo Support

EDIT: Just read GoEagles steps in the thread I linked to. Gonna have to wait until tomorrow for another call to TiVo. This is too much.

Last edited by severe : 04-24-2012 at 03:50 PM.
severe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
GoEagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by severe View Post
And here.

Was this resolved for you GoEagles? What were the steps?

Seems everywhere I turn I'm reading mention of this groups issue, including TiVo's support forums where it seems to have gone unanswered.

My post

TiVo Support

EDIT: Just read GoEagles steps in the thread I linked to. Gonna have to wait until tomorrow for another call to TiVo. This is too much.
Uncheck all of the sharing options for your Premiere boxes on Tivo.com

Force serveral connections to the TiVo Service until under the TiVoToGo options in the System Information screen you see "i,i,i" as the configuration.

Go back to the tivo.com website, and check all the sharing options again.
Wait about 12 hours or so, force a connect or and reboot, and then HOPEFULLY you will see a,a,a under the TiVoToGo options.

Also, check to make sure you are "opted in" on the system information screen AND ask about PTSCM messages during your Tech Support call.

This helped me fix my problem.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
Soapm

I can give one piece of advice, never tell them you upgraded your drive or the help stops no matter what problem you have. You can tell them your rabbit ate through the power cord so you want to order a new one and they'll say, "sorry, you opened the box so I can't help you".
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
severe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoEagles View Post
Uncheck all of the sharing options for your Premiere boxes on Tivo.com...
Thanks. I unchecked the sharing options at TiVo.com. It took 3 forced connections for TiVo to get from "i,i,a" to "i,i,i".

I've returned to TiVo.com and rechecked the sharing options. So, I guess, now I wait about 12 hours before I force another connection?
severe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #11
GoEagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by severe View Post
Thanks. I unchecked the sharing options at TiVo.com. It took 3 forced connections for TiVo to get from "i,i,a" to "i,i,i".

I've returned to TiVo.com and rechecked the sharing options. So, I guess, now I wait about 12 hours before I force another connection?
Now go back and check the sharing options on the tivo.com website. Force some connections, reboot the TiVo a time or two. After 12 hours or so, hopefully you'll see a,a,a under the TiVoToGo option.