TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

DirecTV Tivo worth keeping?

Going to be moving my father-in-law from California to live with us in Texas. He has a DirecTV Tivo (not sure what model yet) that he got probably 10 years ago. We have cable and regular Tivos so I was wondering if it is even worth it to bring his DVR back with us. I suspect that it won't work on anything except DirecTV but are there some parts worth scavenging?
Old 06-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Not really, unless you have a use for old, small IDE disks. The power supply might be useful to some.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Ok, got the Tivo and it is a model R10. Opened it up and it looks to be very similar to a standalnoe Tivo S2 TCD240 model except for the DirecTV add-ons. Can anyone confirm that the power supply in the R10 is a match for the TCD240? I'm thinking that the power supply and the hard drive are salavagable and the rest goes to the recycling center.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
phudson126

That’s right. The power supply and hard drives will be of some use in the future while the other parts can be sent to recycling center. However it would be better if you can stick to the accessories that come in the box instead of using older ones.
phudson126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:25 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Ok, got the Tivo and it is a model R10. Opened it up and it looks to be very similar to a standalnoe Tivo S2 TCD240 model except for the DirecTV add-ons. Can anyone confirm that the power supply in the R10 is a match for the TCD240? I'm thinking that the power supply and the hard drive are salavagable and the rest goes to the recycling center.
Why don't you see if anybody on TCF wants it as is enough to pay shipping before you dismantle it?

That't only a 40GB hard drive, and you can probably find a broken 240 free somewhere and replace the bad cap that broke it and have a working 240/540 power supply.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote