TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
Belgarath

Old DirecTV tivo user needing help doing over the air tivo

Hi. I used to have Directv with tivo, and loved it. Looking to to cut my cords to paid tv. I live in an apartment, can not use an outside antenna. Thinking of getting the premiere and mounting a Channel Master CM 4228 inside behind a large mirror or wooden piece of furniture on the wall. I read it has great reception. I live near Los Angeles, aproximately 42 miles from major stations. Can anyone tell me if this is a good setup? And btw, I paid years ago for lifetime membership, when I had the Directv tivo, will that apply to the new premiere? Thanks for the help.
Belgarath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath View Post
Hi. I used to have Directv with tivo, and loved it. Looking to to cut my cords to paid tv. I live in an apartment, can not use an outside antenna. Thinking of getting the premiere and mounting a Channel Master CM 4228 inside behind a large mirror or wooden piece of furniture on the wall. I read it has great reception. I live near Los Angeles, aproximately 42 miles from major stations. Can anyone tell me if this is a good setup? And btw, I paid years ago for lifetime membership, when I had the Directv tivo, will that apply to the new premiere? Thanks for the help.
Not sure how good a setup it will be or not. I get good reception but I don't live too far away from the towers (maybe 20 miles). I have been off of directv since 2006 and have never looked back. A TiVo Premiere is a good way to go if you're used to TiVo. You may be able to call TiVo and sweet talk them into giving you the $100 off since your old dtv box has lifetime but that still makes lifetime $399 (instead of $499).
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:03 AM   #3
LifeIsABeach

antennaweb.org should be able to help with what type of antenna you will need and what channels you can expect to pull in.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
Tony Chick

Make sure to get the Premiere or XL, not the Premiere 4 or XL4 as they don't have OTA tuners. I'm about 22 miles from the antennas on Mt. Wilson and get everything, for you its not so much distance as whats between you and the antennas. I have an old Radio Shack indoor powered HD antenna and it does pretty well if I recall.
Tony Chick is offline   Reply With Quote