TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
ciucca

XL4 MOCA Issue

I have a Premiere XL 4 that I would like to use MOCA as my network connection.
Unfortunately it does not work, I keep getting a C33 error. I know the problem is not my network. I have a FIOS cable box on the network using MOCA as well as a TIVO Premiere using MOCA also. I can eliminate the drop in the room, because I can move the FIOS box (which uses MOCA) to the drop that the Premiere XL 4 does not work on, and it is ok.

I am at a loss, This must be an issues with the XL4 box, has anyone had a similar issue? I have 20.2.1.2 software version and the tech support person said it should work. Please don't tell me to call tech support they are blaming the FIOS connection , which is wrong. I already tested (see above) and it is not the network.

I'm getting kind of annoyed, it must be a hardware issue and TIVO should replace the box since it is brand new and I have a 3 year warranty.
ciucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

Have you gone into the MoCA settinggs in the XL4 and tried different frequencies to make sure it matches what the FiOS router is using? It should work on the auto setting but it might not which is why you need to manuall select teh frequencies MoCA is using.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
ciucca

Yes I did. I looked at the settings for the TIVO Premiere that works, and it is set to 15, I tried that and still no luck
Old 11-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
ShayL

Have looked at the FIOS router's MOCA statistics: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizo....2_MOCA#16569? It might give you a clue. Does your TiVo status screens give you ideas what it is?
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
fyodor

Try setting it to auto and see if it works.

Also I would first try disconnecting the FIOS cable box and testing with just the router and Tivo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciucca View Post
I have a Premiere XL 4 that I would like to use MOCA as my network connection.
Unfortunately it does not work, I keep getting a C33 error. I know the problem is not my network. I have a FIOS cable box on the network using MOCA as well as a TIVO Premiere using MOCA also. I can eliminate the drop in the room, because I can move the FIOS box (which uses MOCA) to the drop that the Premiere XL 4 does not work on, and it is ok.

I am at a loss, This must be an issues with the XL4 box, has anyone had a similar issue? I have 20.2.1.2 software version and the tech support person said it should work. Please don't tell me to call tech support they are blaming the FIOS connection , which is wrong. I already tested (see above) and it is not the network.

I'm getting kind of annoyed, it must be a hardware issue and TIVO should replace the box since it is brand new and I have a 3 year warranty.

fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
ciucca

Can someone with an XL4 Premiere verify that you have MOCA working on this box? Before I send this in for a replacement I want to see if this is an inherent problem with XL4 or just my bad luck.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
ciucca

One thing I did notice between the Premiere 4 with working MOCA and the XL4 with non working MOCA is a difference in Tx Power and network Version settings:

The working Premiere 4 has settings of

Tx Power: 0.0

Network Version : 1.1

The NON working XL4 MOCA has

Tx Power: -143165576.06

Network Version: 0.1

I believe there is a MOCA hardware driver difference between the Premiere 4 and Premiere XL 4. I don't know what else can account for the difference in parameters.

Going by past history with Tivo, like the FIOS hot signal issue that went from the DTV tivo to the TIVOHD. Same problem fixed in DTV took a year and a half to see it fixed on TIVOHD
Old 11-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Can someone with an XL4 Premiere verify that you have MOCA working on this box? Before I send this in for a replacement I want to see if this is an inherent problem with XL4 or just my bad luck.
I have one using MoCa connected to an Actiontec MoCa bridge on the other end (don't have FIOS) and it works perfectly. Speeds are 3x what I use to get with my powerline adapters.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
moyekj

I have an Elite with internal MoCA connecting to my Moto NIM100 MoCA network that is working fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
L David Matheny

Quote:
One thing I did notice between the Premiere 4 with working MOCA and the XL4 with non working MOCA is a difference in Tx Power and network Version settings:

The working Premiere 4 has settings of

Tx Power: 0.0

Network Version : 1.1

The NON working XL4 MOCA has

Tx Power: -143165576.06

Network Version: 0.1

I believe there is a MOCA hardware driver difference between the Premiere 4 and Premiere XL 4. I don't know what else can account for the difference in parameters.

Going by past history with Tivo, like the FIOS hot signal issue that went from the DTV tivo to the TIVOHD. Same problem fixed in DTV took a year and a half to see it fixed on TIVOHD
If you can substitute the working Premiere 4 in place of the non-working XL4, and the Premiere 4 still works fine in that position, then it would appear that the XL4 is defective. What is putting your network signals onto the coaxial cable at the other end? Does the FIOS cable box bridge your local network to the MOCA? I've never used FIOS.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
ciucca

I've tried the XL4 box on 2 of my cable drops that I am sure work with MOCA, and there is no signal coming out of the XL4. I tend to agree that the box may be defective , but I am concerned that the network version on my XL4 is 0.1 and 1.1 on my working premiere 4. I was hoping it was a software issue, or at least if some people with a Premiere 4 ( not XL) with 20.2.1.2 software had MOCA working, then I would feel more secure that swapping Boxes with Tivo would fix the issue. I'd hate to through the hassle of swapping boxes if I would just get a box with the same problem.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #12
swarto112

fios moca fine

Quote:
I've tried the XL4 box on 2 of my cable drops that I am sure work with MOCA, and there is no signal coming out of the XL4. I tend to agree that the box may be defective , but I am concerned that the network version on my XL4 is 0.1 and 1.1 on my working premiere 4. I was hoping it was a software issue, or at least if some people with a Premiere 4 ( not XL) with 20.2.1.2 software had MOCA working, then I would feel more secure that swapping Boxes with Tivo would fix the issue. I'd hate to through the hassle of swapping boxes if I would just get a box with the same problem.
been running my xl4 outa the bix on Fios moca, no issues

FIOS
swarto112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #13
ciucca

Thanks to all who replied. I called the tech support and they are shipping a replacement box. They agree that the box is defective.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #14
ShayL

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
Does the FIOS cable box bridge your local network to the MOCA? I've never used FIOS.
Yes the FIOS router has built in MOCA. Their set top boxes utilize MOCA. They also use MOCA in some instances from the ONT (fiber termination) to the router for the WAN connection.
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #15
majormc

XL4 MoCA Issue

Had MoCA working perfectly before Fall Update (20.2.2.1?) posted on my XL4 on Dec 6. MoCa immediately stopped working (C33 message). I was having other issues with the TiVo before the update, so just assumed this was just more of the unit going bad. TiVO shipped me a replacement unit this week, and I have just finished setting it up. When I initially connected it, MoCA worked fine. But then it said it needed to install an important update (this was after the initial Guided Setup). Well, it was able to download and install the update fine via MoCA connection, but AFTER the update was completed, I now get exactly the same symptoms: No MoCA and C33 message.

I'm thinking the chances of two boxes failing built-in MoCA in the exact same way are really kinda slim, and the fault lies with the software. Has anyone else with a Premiere XL4, using MoCA, (Which probably makes this a relatively small subset) had this same problem, and what have you done??

TiVo, are you listening? Any suggestions?
majormc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #16
Dan203
Super Moderator

MoCa works fine for me even with the latest software. Try pulling the plug on both the TiVo and the bridge on theother end. Plug the TiVo in and allow it to completely boot, then plug in the bridge and give it a full minute or two to connect.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote