TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: Should TiVoCommunity switch to using the Tapatalk plugin instead of Forum Runner?
Yes, switch to Tapatalk 44 41.90%
No, stick with Forum Runner 12 11.43%
I don't care or don't use mobile apps to access TCF 23 21.90%
I paid for Forum Runner and don't want to lose it. I'd be cool with having both, but if we can only have one, I'd stick with FR. 26 24.76%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 01-16-2014, 05:21 PM   #241
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Tim, are you talking about the free or the paid version of Tapatalk? I'm very happy with FR and would not pay anything for Tapatalk, but if these updates you're speaking of are in the free version, I will definitely give it a try.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:27 PM   #242
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Tim, are you talking about the free or the paid version of Tapatalk? I'm very happy with FR and would not pay anything for Tapatalk, but if these updates you're speaking of are in the free version, I will definitely give it a try.
No, I actually have the paid versions of both.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:35 PM   #243
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley View Post
No, I actually have the paid versions of both.
Gotcha, thanks. If anyone else is using the new, free version of Tapatalk, can you confirm whether the updates that Tim mentioned are available on the free version?
Old 01-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #244
eddyj

I had the paid version of Tapatalk. Instead of upgrading that, they made it free and put the improvements into a new paid version. I ain't paying them again.

eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #245
timckelley
TCFer

I only paid them once, a long time ago, and yet I seem to have improvements.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #246
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
I will check my version then.
The GIF handling is nice, but it still does not show the poster when stuff is quoted, so you do not know who the quote is from. This was the main reason I stopped using it, and I see no reason to change that decision.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:15 PM   #247
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Wow, I don't know how new this is, but I took another look after the latest update on Tapatalk, and it's remarkably nicer than it used to be. I've been considering forumrunner better than Tapatalk on my iPod Touch device, but I think with the latest update, Tapatalk quite likely has surpassed ForumRunner.

Features I like:
  • images are inlined in the posts... you can see them without needing to click on some link. Maybe I'm wrong, but I could swear they used to be a link you had to click on.
  • GIFs are viewable now, and what's more, they show up inlined as a static picture with the tiny letters "GIF" shown in the corner of the pic. If you touch the pic, it loads the sequence and starts playing the GIF. Furthermore, you can even pinch zoom into the GIF while it's playing.
  • (old feature that's been there a long time): You can scroll to previous or later pages by sliding the screen sideways, while on forumrunner, you have to find the link to the next or prior page, often requiring vertical scrolling to get to that link, and then click (touch) on it.

As I say that last feature is an old one, but I willingly sacrificed it because of other shortcomings, but now, I probably don't need to sacrifice it if I like Tapatalk now.

Of course the other nice thing about Tapatalk is that more of my other forums are available on it, but TCF being on both forumrunner and Tapatalk, I until today, chose forumrunner for TCF.

I've only very briefly reviewed the latest update of Tapatalk... for all I know there could be other improvements as well.

Remember I'm just talking about my iOS device... I can't vouch for any comparisons between these apps on other types of devices.
Thanks for this. I'm switching over to Tapatalk (at least on iOS.) These are nice improvements.

The bugs in ForumRunner are getting too annoying and it doesn't look like there is *any* development or updating going on. When iOS 7 came out, editing posts in FR would strip all the carriage returns. That this bug has lasted this long tells me no one is minding the store.

So it's nice to switch to an app that's still in active development.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:54 PM   #248
timckelley
TCFer

Tapatalk or Forum Runner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
The GIF handling is nice, but it still does not show the poster when stuff is quoted, so you do not know who the quote is from. This was the main reason I stopped using it, and I see no reason to change that decision.
Oh that is indeed a glaring shortcoming of Tapatalk. That does make the decision harder in which app to use, I admit. A workaround is to click "web view", but that's a hassle. If tapatalk would fix this shortcoming, they'd move up a big notch in my book.

You know, the more I think of it, the more I may consider this a deal breaker. The day I choose tapatalk over forumrunner for TCF may be exactly the day they fix this quoting problem. But I still like the recent improvements - they just have this one last thing that needs fixing.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 01-16-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:33 PM   #249
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Thanks for this. I'm switching over to Tapatalk (at least on iOS.) These are nice improvements. The bugs in ForumRunner are getting too annoying and it doesn't look like there is *any* development or updating going on. When iOS 7 came out, editing posts in FR would strip all the carriage returns. That this bug has lasted this long tells me no one is minding the store. So it's nice to switch to an app that's still in active development.
It's actually worse than just a complete lack of development. There are forum owners who have branded versions of FR, who couldn't renew because the people who own FR, vBulletin, won't respond to their emails. I expect the number of forums supporting FR will shrink over time. It makes me wonder why VB bought FR in the first place.

As for Tapatalk, it's easy to pass FR in functionality! when FR is standing still. I'm not too keen on their explore feature, but everything else about the app is pretty good and they respond to support forum posts (unlike FR).

The only forum I use FR for is this one and that's because Tapatalk push notifications doesn't work for the VB version used here, which is quite old.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:37 PM   #250
Beryl

I've been using Tapatalk on my iOS and Android devices because improvements continue to happen on both platforms. It isn't perfect but better than FF in most aspects. I've paid for both apps.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:22 AM   #251
hefe
Rebus Philbin

They both have issues on Android. Forum Runner has a lack of support, and there's a couple of display bugs that have been there forever, and Tapatalk has the lack of quote identification and navigation issues where it's not intuitive to get to different screens... Sometimes you need to use the back button, but depending where you are, sometimes that exits the app.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:24 AM   #252
timckelley
TCFer

As I've started to use Tapatalk more, I'm noticing more problems with it, that Forumrunner doesn't have.

1) Forum runner always shows a red number on each forum, indicating the number of subscribed threads that has unread posts, which I find very nice. Tapatalk sometimes does this, but not all the time.

2) On the quote thing, Tapatalk actually does show the quoted poster on other forums, but on TCF it for some reason doesn't, while ForumRunner seems to always work in this area.

3) Forumrunner lets me customize the home screen to contain not just links to forums, but directly to subforums (like Happy Hour for example). I'm not sure if TapaTalk can do that. If you can, I don't know how.

If I had to rank the above 3 problems with Tapatalk, #2 is by by far the most important, and then #1 is the next most import. #3 is very minor and I could easily live without it being fixed.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #253
eddyj

It annoys me to no end that FR got essentially killed when it was bought. It only needs a few fixes and it would again be the easy choice. Instead, we have to figure out which is the lesser evil.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #254
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
2) On the quote thing, Tapatalk actually does show the quoted poster on other forums, but on TCF it for some reason doesn't, while ForumRunner seems to always work in this area.
I think this is due to the extremely advanced age of the version of vBulletin that TCF is running on. This version was released back in 2007 sometime.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #255
MikeMar
Go Pats

I just started using Tapatalk, is there anyway to KEEP me logged in here? It works fine in other forums

MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:35 PM   #256
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I don't have that issue with Tapatalk.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:39 PM   #257
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Me neither.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote