TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
ncfoster

Castle Re-runs recording in Chicago (WLS)

Feel free to move this if another forum is more appropriate...

Our Tivo Premiere is set to record only new episodes of Castle on the Chicago ABC affiliate, WLS. Suggestions are turned off. Re-runs of Castle also run on the same channel late nights on Sundays, two episodes in a row. These show record each week. Because of when it is on, I don't think it has caused any recording conflicts, etc., but it is just annoying on principle.

My first inclination is to believe that this is a problem with the listings, but in any case, I'd love to know if there is an easy way to stop this from happening, since I don't think this schedule is going to change any time soon. Thanks.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
SNJpage1

If its going to mess up and record reruns at least its Castle. I love watching ones from years ago and we do watch the current ones twice.
I have Comcast and there are times that the guide is wrong and shows that I have set for first run only get recorded a second time.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Can you give a specific example of what episodes are being picked up by your Season Pass? What does the Guide Data say?
Old 01-14-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
EWiser

I get the same thing with reruns of Castle. Even though there is a R in the show info. I have always checked my to do list on a regular basis and just delete them. This is real common on some cable channels where the show info doesn't even have R in the info.
EWiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #5
Vendikarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Can you give a specific example of what episodes are being picked up by your Season Pass? What does the Guide Data say?
I get this too. It's the generic series description for Castle, nothing episode specific. I don't believe they have a first air date, and that is why TiVo is grabbing them.

I remember having this same issue with The Dead Zone on USA years ago. Repeats were just generic and they recorded.

All we can really do is make sure you are recording enough episodes so nothing drops off. Or delete the episodes every week before they record. The second is what I do.
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:36 AM   #6
MikeCC
TiVotee

Yeah, in the Chicago area, they even promote this weekly late night 2 hour block of Castle episodes as Castle: Return to the Scene of the Crime. I think they have shown the eps pretty much in order.

None of the info on the guide data is episode specific. Just the generic "Mystery writer helps police solve crimes."

At least, that's what I see in my DTV guide, and that is also the info about the ep even after it has beem recorded. But I don't mind; I find myself watching the old eps and enjoying them still.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
jehma

I get this on my Fios DVR as well. I can always tell because they air at midnight and 1AM. I have to make sure I keep enough to not delete the real first run show.
jehma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
Yeah, in the Chicago area, they even promote this weekly late night 2 hour block of Castle episodes as Castle: Return to the Scene of the Crime. I think they have shown the eps pretty much in order.

None of the info on the guide data is episode specific. Just the generic "Mystery writer helps police solve crimes."

At least, that's what I see in my DTV guide, and that is also the info about the ep even after it has beem recorded. But I don't mind; I find myself watching the old eps and enjoying them still.
Ah that is annoying.

I'd guess it'd be possible to set up a variant of the Daily Show wishlist trick to weed out those generic reruns. (Maybe add an actor so "Castle" as a title keyword doesn't get too many incorrect matches)

Title Keyword: Castle
Actor: Nathan Fillion
Keyword: -Mystery writer helps police solve crimes
(Not the minus, it's key to making this work; if you don't go change the keyword to - in the keyword list then it'll only match the reruns.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendikarr View Post
I get this too. It's the generic series description for Castle, nothing episode specific. I don't believe they have a first air date, and that is why TiVo is grabbing them.

I remember having this same issue with The Dead Zone on USA years ago. Repeats were just generic and they recorded.

All we can really do is make sure you are recording enough episodes so nothing drops off. Or delete the episodes every week before they record. The second is what I do.
Ah, I suspected this might be the case.

When this happens, I do the same -- I go through the To Do List and delete the episodes in the unwanted timeslot before they record.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
SNJpage1

Since watching the Firefly marathone a few months back I seem to enjoy Castle more now. I can see throw backs to Firefly in some of the things he does and says.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #11
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWiser View Post
I get the same thing with reruns of Castle. Even though there is a R in the show info. I have always checked my to do list on a regular basis and just delete them. This is real common on some cable channels where the show info doesn't even have R in the info.

TIVOS DO NOT AND NEVER HAVE USED THE HUMAN READABLE ( R ) in the SHOW INFO TO DETERMINE WHAT IS RECORDED.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #12
MikeCC
TiVotee

OKAY, THANKS! GOOD TO KNOW. I DON'T THINK WE ARE HARD OF HEARING, HOWEVER.

Of course, the (R) mention could have been by way of explanation. And is is possible that poster did not have a TiVo DVR.

But back to the discussion of the reruns, the info about each of those late night eps of Castle omit any OAD, as well.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #13
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

As I understand it, the algorithm is not simply looking at the OAD, but other flags that aren't shown on screen. With the S1s there are codes that allow you to see the hidden info (e.g. the IsEpisode flag), but I don't know if you can still reveal them on more modern TiVo.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #14
lew

This is one of the times I'd mark my SP save until I delete. I wouldn't want on overnight marathon of old shows to delete an new episode I haven't yet watched yet.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #15
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

It's much easier to go through and kill the late-night episodes with no real data before they record. You could set the individual new episodes to SUID at the same time.

I realize it's more fun when everything just works, but sometimes spending a minute in the morning looking over what's on the To Do List for that day, and getting rid of shows you know you don't want before they record, like these late-night repeats, can make things go a lot more smoothly.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #16
mattack

Yeah, I micromanage my Tivos too - but with more tuners AND when I have a lot of free space, I just let them do their thing more often.. I do frequently check the To Do list though.

(Like Seinfeld says (paraphrase) - Men care about what ELSE is on.. I think that also applies to the To Do list for what will record in the future along with the plethora of things already on one's Tivo.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote