TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
flashedbios

Netflix

Remember when netflix was easy to log into? When the Tivo displayed a six digit code, and you went on your computer or tablet and entered that on the netflix website and bam! your tivo and netflix account were paired. Now, you have to use the remote to type out every agonizing letter of the email address and password. And don't tell me to buy the slide remote, I shouldn't have to buy an extra accessory for convenience that used to be there. Does anybody know why they changed this? It used to be so nice when netflix broke to just unpair and re-pair just that easy.
flashedbios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashedbios View Post
Remember when netflix was easy to log into? When the Tivo displayed a six digit code, and you went on your computer or tablet and entered that on the netflix website and bam! your tivo and netflix account were paired. Now, you have to use the remote to type out every agonizing letter of the email address and password. And don't tell me to buy the slide remote, I shouldn't have to buy an extra accessory for convenience that used to be there. Does anybody know why they changed this? It used to be so nice when netflix broke to just unpair and re-pair just that easy.
Use the virtual keypad on your IOS / Android device.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
rainwater

Netflix removed this option on all of their devices that use the new UI. You only have to do it once so it isn't a major issue.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:30 AM   #4
meoge

I agree that it's not a major issue, but it is a pain compared to the old way. We've started using a password manager for all our accounts so our passwords are really long random character passphrases that are a pain to enter manually. It's not really a problem unless we are doing it on a device like the Tivo or Xbox.
meoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #5
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I understand, and if I didn't have the virtual keyboard, I am sure I would have torn my hair out before today.

Good news is, you should only have to enter it once. (effectively speaking)
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:42 AM   #6
NJ Webel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Use the virtual keypad on your IOS / Android device.
Yup! Download the app, and use that to enter the Netflix login. I've even started using it to quickly enter search info or season pass info. Works like a champ.
NJ Webel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:06 AM   #7
flashedbios

I didn't know you could use the app. wow. and about entering it once, yea right. My Tivo loses its "token" like once a week. I used to just give up and tell my wife to enter the info. She has way more patience than me, because she deals with patients all day.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
flashedbios

by the way what do you mean "netflix" switched the interface. I thought Tivo wrote all the apps for the tivo, so as to have control and make it consistant across everything.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:16 PM   #9
rainwater

Quote:
by the way what do you mean "netflix" switched the interface. I thought Tivo wrote all the apps for the tivo, so as to have control and make it consistant across everything.
Nope. The UI for the Netflix app on the TiVo Roamio platform is the same on Rokus, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, etc. Netflix actually pushes out small updates to the Netflix app on TiVos fairly regularly.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:20 PM   #10
jrtroo
User

Quote:
, so as to have control and make it consistant across everything.
Have you used the new premiere/roamio Netflix app? It is not nearly as consistent with the Tivo interface commands as the old one (meaning S3 and original premiere app). Netflix made the commands consistent across THEIR applications on various devices.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:38 PM   #11
CinciDVR

Quote:
... and about entering it once, yea right. My Tivo loses its "token" like once a week...
My Tivo doesn't lose my Netflix login weekly, but I do seem to have to reenter it every 2-3 weeks.
CinciDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:28 AM   #12
achalupa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciDVR View Post
My Tivo doesn't lose my Netflix login weekly, but I do seem to have to reenter it every 2-3 weeks.
I have had that problem in the recent past as well. I've had good luck with exiting and reentering the Netflix app and it works fine. It's like it has the info but didn't use it sometimes.
achalupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:48 PM   #13
sar840t2

My Premiere Elite (XL4?) loses my Netflix credentials periodically. While we have the slide remote, I'm still annoyed that I have to re-enter the information.

The latest version of Nextflix is inconsistent with what it displays on the first screen - sometimes it shows "my" stuff, sometimes it shows recently-watched, but about 4 times out of ten it doesn't show either of those and I have to search for the series I was in the process of watching. Given that, I'm about ready to plunk down some money on a Roku and call it done.

TiVo still isn't the one box to rule them all. It's more like the "jack of all trades, master of none".

Mike

Last edited by sar840t2 : 09-08-2014 at 02:49 PM. Reason: lysdexia :-)
sar840t2 is offline   Reply With Quote