TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #1
cwbuckley

Ota

I get my TV signal via OTA. I cut the cord, a year or two ago. I don't miss cable or satellite TV at all. What I do miss is the DVR. I am looking to buy a Tivo on Ebay. What I am wanting to know is which unit that Tivo has is best suited for OTA? I dont need a big HD as I don't save what I record. Also two turners would be more than enough. One that that is concerning me, I read some reviews on Amazon.com about home some Tivo Premieres don't do a very good job of tuning in the local stations. I dont know if these people that have problems are few or what.

Any help that you all can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Chuck
cwbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
Chuckmeister

If I was to rank Tivo units on their OTA reception it would be:

1.Tivo HD(Series 3)
2.Roamio
3.Premiere

With that said, if you live in a area with clear OTA reception the difference among the 3 is minimal. The Premiere line struggles in multipath and weak OTA areas but as always YMMV.
You can probably get either the Tivo HD or Premiere with Lifetime service on Ebay for around $250. The difference besides OTA is that the Tivo HD is EOL'd and is pretty much just a tuner/recorder while the Premiere is still receiving updates to it's UI and OTT services.

Tivo Roamio (Upgraded to 3TB)
Tivo Mini
Tivo Premiere4
Networked to 3 HDTV's for a True Sports Watching Experience
Chuckmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #3
cwbuckley

With my outside antenna on the roof. I have no problem getting all of our local stations. Like I said before the thing that I miss the most from cable and satellite is not having a DVR.

The Premeire worried me because of some of the reviews about not picking up all of the local channels. One guy said that he had a Tivo HD and had no problems with his channels. He switched to the Premeire and could only get part of them. That is something I dont need. Right now I am leaning towards the Tivo HD with lifetime programming.

I appreciate your help on this matter.

Chuck
cwbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:28 AM   #4
telemark

Are the Series 3 UI's the same responsiveness as Premiere's?
Old 07-31-2014, 02:23 AM   #5
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
Are the Series 3 UI's the same responsiveness as Premiere's?
Most of what I've been reading, since the 20.4.2 update, has been the SDUI on Premieres has taken a performance hit, to the point where some say the S3/HD is now faster in menu/UI responsiveness...

Since I don't have those models anymore, I can't give my own opinion.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:49 AM   #6
replaytv
deadbeat doofus

If you are in the Denver area, you can come by and borrow both a Premiere, a HD Tivo and test them, and you can even HAVE a Series 2 with evaluation type of lifetime if you have standard definition TVs.

I won't ship.

I use all three, and the Premiere and HD seem to be the same to me. With a great antenna with line of sight to the broadcast antennas, they all seem to work OK with a great antenna. The antenna is very important. I probably have 10 different types of antennas and only 2 work decently.

Even my friend that lives in a apartment complex with 4 buildings between her and the mountain the antennas are on, gets most of the channels good.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote