Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #31
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post

Perhaps having been focused on the niche comedies for so long, they no longer have the ability to see what the broader based public actually finds funny. Broad based comedy doesn't have to mean stupid. Animal Practice anyone?

"Hey people like monkeys right? How about a show with a monkey working at a Veterinarians office? Comedy GOLD!"
It's not that NBC is out of touch with the public. It's that the public is out of touch with NBC. When NBC had 20 million viewers every Thursday night, it was easy to launch new hits because they had lots of eyeballs and got plenty of sampling. Now that most of their shows draw fewer than five million viewers, it makes it very difficult for them to get enough viewers to try their new shows.

NBC has the Winter Olympics next February. I expect they'll save some of their most promising new shows to debut after they can get some wider promotion during the Games.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #32
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

I knew some were goners, but waited till the official word. I don't think I've cancelled this many season passes over 1 weekend ever.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #33
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
It's not that NBC is out of touch with the public. It's that the public is out of touch with NBC. When NBC had 20 million viewers every Thursday night, it was easy to launch new hits because they had lots of eyeballs and got plenty of sampling. Now that most of their shows draw fewer than five million viewers, it makes it very difficult for them to get enough viewers to try their new shows.

NBC has the Winter Olympics next February. I expect they'll save some of their most promising new shows to debut after they can get some wider promotion during the Games.
They had plenty of eyeballs in the fall with The Voice and Football. I stand by the statement that the comedies they chose to make the foray into 'broad based' comedy were failures because of the material. Go On and New Normal had the Voice lead in and plenty of new viewers early on. Then they disappeared. Same thing with Smash. Animal Practice was a failure from the get go and who didn't see that coming, other than NBC execs apparently. Grimm does fairly well on Friday. The ratings for shows like Whitney and the other vet comedies have been steadily falling for a while. People gave them all a shot and many didn't stick around.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #34
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

I watch only two NBC series, "Law & Order: SVU" and "Chicago Fire." They were renewed, so I'm good. Everything else can go.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #35
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:

They had plenty of eyeballs in the fall with The Voice and Football. I stand by the statement that the comedies they chose to make the foray into 'broad based' comedy were failures because of the material. Go On and New Normal had the Voice lead in and plenty of new viewers early on. Then they disappeared. Same thing with Smash. Animal Practice was a failure from the get go and who didn't see that coming, other than NBC execs apparently. Grimm does fairly well on Friday. The ratings for shows like Whitney and the other vet comedies have been steadily falling for a while. People gave them all a shot and many didn't stick around.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not defending the quality of the sitcoms NBC has developed recently. While I liked Go On, it was just a less-creative version of Community. And I watched Whitney, but mainly because I liked the actors, and not because the show was good. Same with Up All Night: good actors, disaster of a show.

But the fact that NBC has some of the best quality sitcoms on all of broadcast TV (Parks & Rec., Community) but almost nobody watches them, that tells me that it doesn't really matter what NBC puts on. Unless they get some momentum from football and The Voice and can parlay that into actual hits, it won't really matter how good their pilots are.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #36
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Grimm does fairly well on Friday.
Grimm moved to Tuesday.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #37
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
Grimm moved to Tuesday.
Only temporarily. It's back to Friday in the fall.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #38
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
But the fact that NBC has some of the best quality sitcoms on all of broadcast TV (Parks & Rec., Community) but almost nobody watches them, that tells me that it doesn't really matter what NBC puts on.
I think that (bolded) is quite subjective. The numbers don't entirely bare out the rest. On January 21, 2011, Parks & Rec had a 3.2 rating and The Office had a 4.5. Community had a 2.2 going against a still VERY strong American Idol before it started tanking. The viewers WERE there at one point.

Same for Go On (3.4) and The New Normal (2.5) premieres. People showed up to check them out. Same for Revolution (4.1) and Smash (3.8). Viewers seem willing to give NBC a shot if the show seems like something they'd like. It's not like NBC has fallen off of the general public's radar.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #39
efilippi

I won't miss any of these shows. Guys with Kids was dumb and rarely funny. 1600 Penn was one I wanted to like but I can't stand that son, whatever his name is. Grating, obnoxious, unfunny... hate him. New Normal was a turn off half way into the pilot. Call me an old fart but does every group of five people have to include at least two homosexuals (just the use of that old word will drive some people nuts) in it? If that's the new normal, no thank you. It's hard to create a show with Kelly Bundy in it that isn't likeable, but Up All Night sure did it. Come to think of it, Samantha Who wasn't exactly prime time viewing either, but in any case, this show will not be missed. And how does Maya Rudolph keep getting hired? Whitney was kind of sweet and I think I will miss that one. I don't really like 2 broke girls but the Whitney show had a bit of a thing.
efilippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #40
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Well, the point of The New Normal was it had a gay couple adopting a baby, as well as various other non-traditional family situations... that's "the new normal": that's where the title comes from. Hard to fault the show for living up to its own title.

The first few episodes were not great, and some of the characters I never liked much, but I did like the couple and I thought it was a nice show. I won't miss it terribly, but I had some laughs.

BTW I think you're overestimating the number of shows with gay couples, or even gay main characters. I can think of only two shows with main characters who are gay couples and one which has a gay couple as secondary (at most) characters, and one show with an unattached gay main character.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #41
LlamaLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
I watch only two NBC series, "Law & Order: SVU" and "Chicago Fire." They were renewed, so I'm good. Everything else can go.
Whew, I was wondering about "Chicago Fire".
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #42
Alfer
WOOSAH!

None of these cancellations are that shocking.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #43
Queue
UnbowdUnbentUnbrokn

Maybe Matthew Perry can join the cast of Newsroom somehow now. His acting is perfect for Sorkin written TV.
Queue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #44
markymark_ctown

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Rock Center -- never watched, I don't do news shows. I do record & watch NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams every day; I like him, think he's the best news anchor currently active. But never watched Rock Center.
i have the NBC Nightly News on season pass and watch it regularly. Also have Rock Center on season pass, but usually don't watch it. Seems to be extended clips from the Nightly News...not bad, but nothing I must watch.
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #45
efilippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
BTW I think you're overestimating the number of shows with gay couples, or even gay main characters. I can think of only two shows with main characters who are gay couples and one which has a gay couple as secondary (at most) characters, and one show with an unattached gay main character.
I agree with your comments about The New Normal and I realize I came off a bit cranky in my earlier post. Sorry.

But as for the 'overestimating' note above, I just saw a column in Slate titled "TV will be a lot less gay next year" that included this sentence:

Among the shows that wonít be back next year are The New Normal, Go On, Smash, The Office, 1600 Penn, Happy Endings, Donít Trust the B___ in Apartment 23, 90210, Emily Owens, M.D., The L.A. Complex, Partners, and Southland, all of which featured gay or lesbian characters.

Quite a few.
efilippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #46
sharkster

I might be the only one on the planet, but I really liked Emily Owens, MD.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #47
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queue View Post
Maybe Matthew Perry can join the cast of Newsroom somehow now. His acting is perfect for Sorkin written TV.
You mean like when he was on the Sorkin show "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip"?

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #48
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

I liked The New Normal. Didn't love it, but liked it enough. I watched 1600 Penn. It was meh.. The Skip character didn't annoy me as much as it did others, but the show was still so-so even discounting him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #49
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark_ctown View Post
i have the NBC Nightly News on season pass and watch it regularly. Also have Rock Center on season pass, but usually don't watch it. Seems to be extended clips from the Nightly News...not bad, but nothing I must watch.
You've got that backwards.. Lately, they seemed to be using VERY shortened versions of Rock Center pieces in the NBC Nightly News to advertise Rock Center.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote