TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
pmyers

Do you "like" tv show pages on Facebook?

I was going to post a poll but I guess you can't do that in this forum.

I "like" the Facebook pages of almost every show I watch.

Sometimes I will have to unlike them if I find they post just too much fluff stuff or are really bad at spoilers, but for the most part I love the behind the scenes stuff and never aired footage that you get.

I also like that they usually start posting something about the show as it nears a new season
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I like most of the shows I watch on Facebook. I don't even know why. Most of them don't post anything of relevance. Showtime shows tend to post a lot of quotes from the show. I'm not sure what I expect out of them but I wish they would post something I cared to read.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

I follow the funnier or more interesting stars of TV shows I watch on Twitter, but I rarely like the shows' Facebook pages as I find most to be insufferable.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

I do, sometimes I unlike when it gets out of hand. Usually the ones I like are the new shows before they air, because they'll provide links to reviews and features about the show. Revolution was like that, which I thought made for a cool way to get info on it.

The same goes for Arrested Development and the new series, although the one I'm following now is a fanpage. Lots of good stuff there.

There was a time when clicking Like would just mean you were showing your friends that you like something. Not anymore, clicking Like on something (i.e., Romney or Obama) would mean you'd get 5 million posts. And start a war of FB friends.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
caslu

Yes
caslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Nope

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
Crobinzine

Sure. I "liked" the Persons of Interest page.
Crobinzine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #8
Alfer
WOOSAH!

No
Old 11-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
pmyers

Some of my favorite Facebook pages are the Discovery channel shows: Gold Rush, Fast'n loud, etc....

They seem to post a lot of behind the scene clips and aren't to obnoxious about posting.

I had to unlike So You Think You Can Dance, and Dancing With the Stars, and a few other contestant shows as it just got out of hand with them posting something about every single contestant on the show or posting spoilers.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
allan
I survived the Mayan

I have "liked" some shows on FB in the past. They were pretty "meh". Not much of interest, but they weren't annoying either. I'm less likely to do that now, just because of my "dislike" of FB itself.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #11
Jonathan_S

No; never even thought about it.

I guess I've seen TV shows mention their facebook and twitter profiles but as soon as the annoying display bug is gone I've forgotten about it. <shrug>
Old 11-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #12
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Nope , I just want to watch the program and I really hate that the networks choose to clutter up my big screen with crap from other shows along the bottom of the screen, really distracting. But I digress.
TiVoXL4 - 2TB (1TB external)
Cablevision Raritan Valley, NJ
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #13
pmyers

Another one I enjoy is Survivor's Facebook. Usually about a month before a new season starts they will start posting the contestants and other info. Keeps me from having to go to a bunch of other sources.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #14
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Me != Facebook account
Old 11-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #15
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobinzine View Post
Sure. I "liked" the Persons of Interest page.
The Machine didn't do it for you?

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:51 PM   #16
dylking
I've never farded

A couple, but not all - I watch way too many shows
dylking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #17
secondclaw

I liked 'Fringe' - boy that was a mistake - it kept flooding the timeline, so I gave up.
secondclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:01 AM   #18
Idearat

In general I only "like" business entities where the owners are friends of mine. I've done it for a couple obscure places that most people would never hear of, like the place a friend and I got tintype portraits done in San Francisco.

The only TV show I've "Liked" was Call the Midwife. Best show I'd seen in a long time, absolutely loved it. As it was one I thought would get little buzz, and when searching for more info I found their FB page, I hit the like button.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:54 AM   #19
laria
Librocubicularist

I have a number of pages liked, but only because once upon a time way back, Facebook made you auto-like anything you had listed as a favorite interest, tv show, etc when they introduced the pages. I have removed some of them, but not bothered to like any new ones... some of the spammiest pages that I had to remove were for shows that aren't even on the air anymore (Gilmore Girls and 24).
Old 11-15-2012, 07:07 AM   #20
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

You know, you can Like a page and then not get its posts in your feed, quite easily. In case you still want to be saying "I like this" for the record (like your personal interests list does/did) but not get spoilers or spam. Just in case you didn't know.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #21
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I did a few then went back and removed them all.
They just don't "get it" and view it as a welcome to open the door and spam me with crap I'm not interested in.

At one point I had "liked" a show and it worked well, I got reminders that it was on and new vs. a repeat, and links to behind the scenes pieces. However I then did the same to another and it was nothing but spam for other shows on the same network, after that, no show gets "liked" anymore.

I could be more granular as to the settings for the "like" but I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to do that.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #22
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
...At one point I had "liked" a show and it worked well, I got reminders that it was on and new vs. a repeat, and links to behind the scenes pieces. However I then did the same to another and it was nothing but spam for other shows on the same network, after that, no show gets "liked" anymore..
I certainly agree with you. I have "unliked" quite a few shows that take advantage of posting....But I find it so easy to unlike something that I don't worry about it until they abuse it.

Walking Dead is another good page that I like. They post some great interviews that I don't see other places.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #23
hefe
Rebus Philbin

If I did want to follow a show's posts I'd probably just subscribe to their feed. Can't you do that without liking them? ( I'm not certain}

Part of why I don't "like" things is that it causes you to spam other people's feeds with the fact that you liked something.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:22 AM   #24
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

Yes, Like and Subscribe are independent, have been for like a year now, you can do either without the other. (But by default, Like also gives you a partial Subscribe, and many people never see that they can do them separately.)
Old 11-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #25
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe View Post
Part of why I don't "like" things is that it causes you to spam other people's feeds with the fact that you liked something.
It hasn't done that in a long time.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #26
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I follow many of the people on Hoarders. They let me know when A&E makes last minute changes to the schedule which seems to happen all the time.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #27
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post

It hasn't done that in a long time.
I get spam about what my friends like all the time.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #28
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe View Post
I get spam about what my friends like all the time.
What we're seeing now is paid ads by companies that are being fronted by listing a friend that likes that product (which IMO is more annoying). Any new things they like seem to be confined to the feed on the right-side column.

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #29
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
What we're seeing now is paid ads by companies that are being fronted by listing a friend that likes that product (which IMO is more annoying). Any new things they like seem to be confined to the feed on the right-side column.
Yes, this.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #30
inaka

I like a ton of TV shows and movies on FB.

There is sometimes spam when they want to sell a season or movie on bluray/DVD, but often I get to see some links or info about the show that I wouldn't otherwise know about, so it's a good way of keeping in touch with the TV show/movie.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote