TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
Emacee

Question Has Tivo Dropped the Multi-Unit Discount?

My Series 3 is getting a little long in the tooth (still works fine) and I'm starting think about the newer models, especially the Premiere 4. I went to Tivo's website to check prices and I don't see a multi-unitdiscount price listed. Yes, I logged on to the website and accessed through "My Account." And my series 3 is active (although I did have it off for a while when I got a free trial on the cable company DVR and thought I'd check it out).

So, what's the deal? Did they take away the discount from existing users? (If so, that sucks. I've felt like Tivo is nickel and diming us before.)
Previously:
Hughes DirecTivo (02-06)
Phillips Series1 (99-03)
Emacee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

The multi-service discount still exists. If you have an active TiVo on your account then the second unit is $12.99/mo instead of $14.99/mo or lifetime is $399 instead of $499

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
zalusky

How about this scenario question. You have a series 3 that was purchased at full price and you then buy a series 4 and get the MSD lifetime discount for $399. You then at some point want to replace the Series 3 does the series 4 qualify as an active Tivo to get the MSD discount or because it itself got a MSD discount it does not qualify.

IE Do you have to have an active Tivo that was not PLS purchased with an MSD .discount.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

I believe you have to have one TiVo with full price lifetime or full price monthly to qualify for MSD.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
How about this scenario question. You have a series 3 that was purchased at full price and you then buy a series 4 and get the MSD lifetime discount for $399. You then at some point want to replace the Series 3 does the series 4 qualify as an active Tivo to get the MSD discount or because it itself got a MSD discount it does not qualify.

IE Do you have to have an active Tivo that was not PLS purchased with an MSD .discount.
Do you mean an S3 purchased at full price with a lifetime sub that was also purchased at full price?

'Cause if that S3 is still monthly, I'd use getting the S4 as leverage to get the $99 lifetime deal on the S3.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
zalusky

No I have lifetime on everything but all the subsequent units had PLS purchased with the MSD discount. What it means is I still have to keep the S3 if I want to get discounts on any future box upgrades.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
No I have lifetime on everything but all the subsequent units had PLS purchased with the MSD discount. What it means is I still have to keep the S3 if I want to get discounts on any future box upgrades.
That is correct to the "letter of the law". But, my first qualifying unit was an S1 that I used to get discounted lifetime on other units. I got rid of that unit in 2007 and still get discounted lifetime on other units I have purchased (last one was earlier this year). I also still have a $6.95 per month unit that S1 allowed me to get pricing for and when I sold it, it did not increase.

I have to believe it has something to do with the amount of time...

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

I am of the opinion that the letter of the law is all you can rely on.
pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrs View Post
That is correct to the "letter of the law". But, my first qualifying unit was an S1 that I used to get discounted lifetime on other units. I got rid of that unit in 2007 and still get discounted lifetime on other units I have purchased (last one was earlier this year). I also still have a $6.95 per month unit that S1 allowed me to get pricing for and when I sold it, it did not increase.

I have to believe it has something to do with the amount of time...
Is that S1 still on your account? I no longer have the S1 units that qualified me for MSD but the new owners never transferred them to their accounts so I still get the benefit. Not sure if the S2 is a qualifier (bought it used) but the other two boxes were purchased using the MSD so I don't think they are qualifiers.