TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #61
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

What's amazing is how NBC keeps putting out awful shows on NBC, but on USA, they keep cranking out hits. Perhaps they should consider moving to more of a USA model. Shorter runs, and more shows. Clearly what they're doing now isn't working, so why not try something new.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #62
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post
I want to add more about reading that article and Zucker ruining NBC. I really thought Zucker was going to do good at NBC but he did essentially destroy the network.

I think this discussion comes up when we talk about the networks solely focused on short term money issues and being results oriented as opposed to having a long term view and as Littlefield put it "marked by the belief that viewers exist to be manipulated rather than nourished."

Devdog pointed out that the average viewer only watches one out of every two to three episodes. So they run with this logic and make bad decisions. I guarantee you that same figure is not true for a show like Mad Men and was not true for a show like the Sopranos. I realize the advertisers are the real customers but that does not mean they need to trample on the viewers just because they are still making money.

Yes the majors are still making money but they are declining at a rate that guarantees their own failure unless something changes. I know of no successful business person who would be happy about the trend of major network tv and its inevitable crash into the ground.

The key for the networks is to keep the old school advertising relationships pouring in money for image advertising and other advertising where they have little idea of effectiveness. While there are still corporations willing to spend large chunks of their advertising budgets without knowing if it is effective or not, the networks will still be able to eek out profitability.
Here's why I'm always willing to give cable shows a try, even if I have mild interest, while network shows I blow off if I'm not sure about it. With Cable, they repeat the shows often. USA Network might show Burn Notice four or five times a week. So if I have a conflict, I can still watch it (and if I were inclined to watch commercials, complete with commercials too). The networks? Not so easy (although we DO now get NBC and ABC on demand on DirecTV, albeit in glorious SD). So, especially with serialized dramas, if I miss one episode of say Awake, I'm screwed. I still say, that they should used their cable partners and run these shows again on cable. Sure, they may not make as much money on USA Network than they do on NBC, but at least they get a chance to get SOME eyeballs on the shows, and perhaps gain another audience. I know, there's all kinds of logistical reasons they can't do it consistently, but to me that's just another piece of the archaic puzzle that's been developed over 60 years that needs to change.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #63
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
What's amazing is how NBC keeps putting out awful shows on NBC, but on USA, they keep cranking out hits. Perhaps they should consider moving to more of a USA model. Shorter runs, and more shows. Clearly what they're doing now isn't working, so why not try something new.
I watch most of what USA has to offer, and I'm more willing to give their new stuff a try. One, I don't think they will bail on a show I like in the middle of a season, and second, like I mentioned, I get multiple opportunities to watch, so if there's a conflict with other shows, I just don't blow it off, I record it later.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #64
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock
Interesting observation. CBS is the #1 broadcast network and try clearly have a pattern that they follow (crime procedural dramas). USA is the #1 cable network, and they also have a pattern (lighthearted buddy dramas with a minor sprinkling of serialization). Maybe NBC needs to figure out something like that and start churning them out.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #65
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj
if I miss one episode of say Awake, I'm screwed.
I see your point, but feel that Awake is a poor choice of an example. I've been watching Awake only sporadically and don't feel like I miss much if I skip three episodes.

There aren't many "serialized" shows I've seen these days that have to be seen every week.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote