TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #31
Ereth
Registered User
 
Ereth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 35,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Something hit me:
During the panel with Sloan, MacKenzie says to Wil , "UMF" something, and they repeat it later. Wha???
AUMF. Authorization for Use of Military Force.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authori...nst_Terrorists
__________________
Remember "Just Alley"? Re-read it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #32
Ereth
Registered User
 
Ereth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 35,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Finally got to watch this. I expected to come here and everyone would be saying how nothing happened and that it was boring. Which is what I thought. But maybe I was just tired. I'll have to do a rewatch when I'm more alert. I know Sorkin is all about the dialogue, but I just thought it was way too much of people talking and not enough of anything happening. But it's the first episode and I'm sure part of that was them setting up the season.
He is setting up for the Genoa story to be the framework around the entire thing. This was, effectively, prologue. You saw already that there are lawyers gathering data about it, we are seeing how they got there. Because he set it up with flashbacks, if you weren't really paying attention it would have been easy to miss.
__________________
Remember "Just Alley"? Re-read it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #33
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
He is setting up for the Genoa story to be the framework around the entire thing. This was, effectively, prologue. You saw already that there are lawyers gathering data about it, we are seeing how they got there. Because he set it up with flashbacks, if you weren't really paying attention it would have been easy to miss.
Yep, I gathered the episode was a setup for what is to come. I really must have been very tired. I don't remember a lot of what was discussed here. So I don't know if it was the show that put me to sleep or just general tiredness Already downloaded the episode OD so I'll give it another watch. I generally like Sorkin, but I just couldn't keep awake or alert enough this week.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #34
zalusky
Registered User
 
zalusky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 3,732
Colbert did a bit the other night on multitasking and how people are getting worse at doing anything including multitasking.

Why do I mention this because many people these days are surfing and doing other stuff when watching TV. My wife plays solitaire alot or is searching for the next thing to buy for the house.

You can't do that with this show. The dialog is so fast at times and it all means something.
__________________
I will never forget the face of my wife as I left to go the operating room to donate my kidney and give her back her life.
zalusky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #35
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa
 
Anubys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fairfax Station, VA
Posts: 22,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaHertz67 View Post
But OWS got attention, as posters have pointed out above, but was ultimately best summed up by Shakespeare:

"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."
Macbeth, Act 5, Scene 5
Man, you missed the mark by one line. I think a more appropriate description was the line right before the one you quote!

"a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more"
__________________
That Anubys is a GENIUS! -- Rob Helmerichs
I'm sure not a GENIUS, like Anubys -- Rob Helmerichs
And Anubys' genius just keeps shining through! -- Rob Helmerichs
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #36
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
Colbert did a bit the other night on multitasking and how people are getting worse at doing anything including multitasking.

Why do I mention this because many people these days are surfing and doing other stuff when watching TV. My wife plays solitaire alot or is searching for the next thing to buy for the house.

You can't do that with this show. The dialog is so fast at times and it all means something.
I have a scale of interest in shows:

1) Shows I have no interest in and don't watch
2) Shows I kind of like but often multitask and pay attention to the good parts (Falling Skies, The Following, and a few others are like this)
3) Shows I pay full attention to because I'm really interested in the show.

If The Newsroom ever got to 2) on the scale I'd probably just stop watching it. It's REALLY a dialog driven show and if you don't listen closely you miss what's going on. And apparently, that's what happened to me when I watched it.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #37
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules
 
NorthAlabama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: rocket city, al
Posts: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I expected to come here and everyone would be saying how nothing happened and that it was boring. Which is what I thought. But maybe I was just tired. I'll have to do a rewatch when I'm more alert.
this might not be a popular critique, but i agree with steveknj, i was a little let down by the season opener. don't know if it was because expectations were so high, or i didn't pay close enough attention.

the newsroom is my favorite series by far in a few years, and most every episode last season was gripping (with a few exceptions), especially the pilot. that's a high bar to meet for the second season, and i felt like they missed the mark, but not by a lot.

i'm hoping the episode was a platform used to setup future episodes this season, we'll find out. i'm watching it again before next week.
__________________


The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #38
Ereth
Registered User
 
Ereth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 35,998
I certainly agree that it wasn't up to the best of the episodes of last year. It felt very "set up" to me. Clean out some old storylines, set up others. More of a housekeeping episode than anything.

Things like Maggies new hairstyle and "what happened to her" were there to intrigue you enough to want to know what happened, but not tell you anything about it. We'll get that story in bits and pieces.

I'm not entirely sure I'm going to like the flashback/bits and pieces format that Sorkin has chosen for this season, but I'm willing to give it a chance.
__________________
Remember "Just Alley"? Re-read it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #39
aindik
Registered User
 
aindik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 27,635
He seems to be writing this season like he wrote The Social Network. Flashbacks from deposition testimony. It worked for me in the Social Network. Jury is still out here.

Cn someone explain the You Better, You Bet exchange? All I got out of it was MacKenzie saying neither of them have any idea what the song is about. What did Will think it was about?

My wife didn't watch at all last season and was in the room when I had this on. During Jim and Maggie's scene:
Her: They're Jim and Pam, right?
Me: Yep.
Her: He even looks like Jim
Me: His name is Jim.

That storyline seemed very derivative at that point. I'm glad Maggie ended her relationship with Roy Don so fast. Or vice versa I should say.

I loved A Few Good Men, the West Wing, and the Social Network, and I liked Studio 60, but this show is starting to grate on me. Too much sanctimonious hindsight. The show seems to be about how great the media could be, if only it had 2 years to digest the news before reporting on it.
aindik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #40
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
He seems to be writing this season like he wrote The Social Network. Flashbacks from deposition testimony. It worked for me in the Social Network. Jury is still out here.

Cn someone explain the You Better, You Bet exchange? All I got out of it was MacKenzie saying neither of them have any idea what the song is about. What did Will think it was about?

My wife didn't watch at all last season and was in the room when I had this on. During Jim and Maggie's scene:
Her: They're Jim and Pam, right?
Me: Yep.
Her: He even looks like Jim
Me: His name is Jim.

That storyline seemed very derivative at that point. I'm glad Maggie ended her relationship with Roy Don so fast. Or vice versa I should say.

I loved A Few Good Men, the West Wing, and the Social Network, and I liked Studio 60, but this show is starting to grate on me. Too much sanctimonious hindsight. The show seems to be about how great the media could be, if only it had 2 years to digest the news before reporting on it.
You're conversation with your wife was VERY Sorkin-esque
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #41
aindik
Registered User
 
aindik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 27,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
You're conversation with your wife was VERY Sorkin-esque
Except we were sitting.
aindik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #42
aindik
Registered User
 
aindik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 27,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
AUMF. Authorization for Use of Military Force.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authori...nst_Terrorists
Somehow after that, Will felt compelled to order another iPhone case on Amazon. He couldn't explain why.
aindik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #43
MegaHertz67
Registered Smart Ass
 
MegaHertz67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Miami
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
Man, you missed the mark by one line. I think a more appropriate description was the line right before the one you quote!

"a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more"
I thought about starting the quote earlier and including that, but edited to get right to the line everyone would recognize. I was trying to balance the right amount of pompous gasbagery without going over the line.

But I do appreciate that you appreciate the source and the sentiment.
__________________
MegaHertz

“Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
-- John F. Kennedy
MegaHertz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |