TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-07-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
ebf

Exclamation Remote address won't stick

Hi all.

So, I revived my old Lifetime Series2 540 by swapping out a drive from an unused box. After a 2 hour clear and delete, everything is setup again, BUT the remote address. There are two TiVos upstairs-- different rooms, but still. I have diligently followed the instructions to set the revived TiVo's remote to "2", but the box *keeps* reverting to "0"!! No other remote is being used in the same room-- the doors are even closed to the room during the setup. I tried fresh batteries as well as a different peanut remote. Same result. (I am not trying to use the same remote with the two boxes.)

I one thing I was thinking was an OS bug? The box is running 8.x, I think that is behind, even for a Series2. (I assume an update will arrive in time.) Could there be an old bug lingering there?

I really want to get this sorted as the room with DVR "1" normally has the adjoining door open and I don't want it to interfere with "2".
ebf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:31 AM   #2
Edmund
Remote Czar

You are switching both tivos off of address zero? And not just one?

And switching addresses is two stage process, first the tivo, then the remote.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...829#post893829
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
ebf

Angry I got the steps, just not the result...

As I said before, I followed the instructions. I just want TiVo 2 to only work when its remote is switched to "2". There is no problem with the other TiVo or its remote.

I follow the steps, see the "2" on screen, immediately hit the TiVo button to get out of Sys Info, navigate the menus while still switched to "2" on the remote, switch the remote to "1" and it still works. I go back to Sys Info and see the address is set back to "none (0)".
Old 11-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
ebf

Smile Solved!

So, I forced a connection and got the latest OS update (9.x). Following that install, I repeated the remote address setting process. However this time in addition to setting the box to "2", as I want it, I faked setting the remote to "1" (without actually pointing at the TiVo, just the remote button pressing part). It works. It could have been the update, but I am guessing the remote "1" switch needed to be set expressly as well.

Thanks all.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #5
Arcady
Stargate Fan

If you didn't set the address while the DVR switch was set to 1, then you were using a 0 setting. So if you go into the Sys Info with a remote set to 0, you will force the TiVo back to 0.
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:30 AM   #6
Edmund
Remote Czar

The DVR1/DVR2 switch doesn't mean Address1/ Address2, each side of the switch comes set to address 0. If you want either side of the switch set to an alternate address, you will have to enter it yourself. Which you finally did.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #7
ebf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
The DVR1/DVR2 switch doesn't mean Address1/ Address2, each side of the switch comes set to address 0. If you want either side of the switch set to an alternate address, you will have to enter it yourself. Which you finally did.
YES! That is a point that is *not* clear in any of the instructions. I only thought of it due to a passing comment that someone (you?) made in another thread-- the remote has to be programmed as well.