Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
robojerk

Nielsen TV ratings reportedly expanding to include streaming services

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/21/40...-in-tv-ratings

Quote:
Nielsen has been working on the necessary analytics technology for a while, with pilot programs studying Hulu, Netflix, and YouTube streaming, as well as with cable companies' tablet applications. The Hollywood Reporter's sources say that Nielsen plans to roll out new hardware and software in the 23,000 American homes it draws its data from this September.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Lightbulb

When I filled out a Nielsen diary a few months ago, I asked about Tivo web videos and that sort of thing. They said if I watched it on a tv, I should list it in the diary.

Cord cutting a trend? Nielsen to begin counting online streaming
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-...ine-streaming/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Share an online coupon here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DianaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
newsposter
Poster of News

why arent 100% of tivo boxes included in the ratings? for those who opt in that is

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
why arent 100% of tivo boxes included in the ratings? for those who opt in that is
It would seem so easy to do this (as well as sateillite/cableco DVR boxes) and would be by far the most accurate indicator.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
WhiskeyTango

It's not going to make a difference in the ratings.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
Because Nielson doesn't want to pay TiVo for the data and TiVo sure isn't going to give it away.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
It's not going to make a difference in the ratings.
I'm not convinced of that, but it's certainly possible.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #8
marksman
ID-10-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob

It would seem so easy to do this (as well as sateillite/cableco DVR boxes) and would be by far the most accurate indicator.
I disagree. It gives a flawed sample. Given past TiVo ratings I have seen it skews to very specific programming.

I have been anti Nielsen and their methods since forever but just lumping TiVo users is not going to give a more accurate accounting. Five plus years ago TiVo ratings skewed a specific way and towards specific demos, today the skew and demo is likely much different but certainly not an accurate representation of tv viewers.

Honestly, though, they need to get to the point of measuring most all viewership. Cold hard facts these days are for most advertisers people without computers and Dvrs are not likely their targeted customers. The reality is Nielsen should have been ahead of this ten years ago. Ultimately they will lose their place at the table as someone else offers more compelling metrics. The networks are struggling with massive audience declines year to year. They clearly believe that all viewers are not being counted, and I agree with them.

I always questioned the nielsen measurements to accurately portray ratings and now we are decades in to having hundreds of channels I believe there is zero chance their sample size can accurately measure ratings for that many channels and programs.

The biggest problem is any revised Nielsen system or new system has to be accepted by the networks AND the advertisers. The advertisers got screwed for years so I see zero motivation for them to see higher audience numbers. All it means is higher rates for them. Sure it might improve accuracy which has some value but in the short term it would cost them a lot more.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #9
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
I'm not convinced of that, but it's certainly possible.
Quote:
The shift doesn’t mean Nielsen will begin to provide ratings data for, say, Netflix. Nielsen will capture how much time is spent on that kind of viewing, but to actually provide ratings, Netflix would have to agree to encode its program signals so that Nielsen software can identify them and trace their source. The traditional TV networks do encode their signals to be compatible with Nielsen’s measurement tools.
Sounds like they won't be able to track ratings for individual shows, only how much volume is being watched on different mediums.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...tion-tv-422795

Even if they could measure viewers per show streaming, the increases would not be significant for the most part. Here's a sample stolen from a poster at TVBTN.
Quote:

Here’s the total viewer numbers from FOX for the premiere of The Following…

Live+SD – 10.42 million

Live+7 – 15.10 million

Hulu.com/FOX.com – 1.38 million (through 18 days after inital airing)

Last edited by WhiskeyTango : 02-22-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
TonyD79

Wait. The streamers can't already do this? All they have to do is collect the data.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #11
WhiskeyTango

As mentioned in my previous post, the streamers would have to encode all of their shows to work with Neilsen and there isn't really any incentive for them to do so unless Neilsen wants to fork over the cash. Besides, unless the streams are embedded with the same ads that are airing during live tv, it won't make much of a difference to advertisers.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #12
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

I already let Tivo see what I watch.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #13
TonyD79

Quote:
As mentioned in my previous post, the streamers would have to encode all of their shows to work with Neilsen and there isn't really any incentive for them to do so unless Neilsen wants to fork over the cash. Besides, unless the streams are embedded with the same ads that are airing during live tv, it won't make much of a difference to advertisers.
Why? Netflix knows what I watch. Amazon knows what I watch. Hulu knows. They all know.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #14
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Why? Netflix knows what I watch. Amazon knows what I watch. Hulu knows. They all know.
Maybe they do, maybe they don't. If they do, they would still have to make the investment to make their data collection compatible with the metrics Neilsen uses and there is no reason for any of them to do that sans tons of cash. Either way, unless Amazon, Hulu, etc. know your age, race, household situation, and socioeconomic status, those raw numbers are useless to advertisers. It's all about the demographics.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #15
Johnny Dancing
Closet Rebel

I worked for Nielsen 1984 - 1996.

We could barely keep up with all the new cable boxes and VCRs that started coming out during this time. We pretty much used the same basic metering devices all 12 years I was with them, it just became more and more difficult to wire a Nielsen home and the newer digital devices. After apologizing for my field reps blowing up a sample home's shiny new TV viewing device one too many times I had to get out. I could not take it anymore.

The stories I could tell...

TV viewing is so much more fragmented and complex now. In 1984 as a rep, I could hook up the average household on my own in 3 or 4 hours and maybe get offered dinner with the family.

By 1996 as a manager, I had to send 2+ reps to a home and they were lucky if they could finish the install in one or two days before the Nielsen home had enough and kicked them out on their arses.

I can't imagine them keeping up with the all the PVRs, DVRs and all the multiple tuners and what is being watched and when without buying some viewing data...

They make a ton of money on TV data sales to all the networks, affiliates, ad agencies... they can afford to pay for data from some of the main players out there and supplement data gathered from the metered sample.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #16
TonyD79

Quote:

Maybe they do, maybe they don't. If they do, they would still have to make the investment to make their data collection compatible with the metrics Neilsen uses and there is no reason for any of them to do that sans tons of cash. Either way, unless Amazon, Hulu, etc. know your age, race, household situation, and socioeconomic status, those raw numbers are useless to advertisers. It's all about the demographics.
Which has nothing to do with your statement of encoding the streams. All they need is Nielsen demo data for a customer. That is handled separately by Nielsen anyway.