TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
buscuitboy

Question Series 3 & local HD channels

I have Premiere & an older Series 3 (OLED) HD TiVos. I recently got another Premiere that will essentially replace the Series 3 in living room. Since it has a lifetime plan, I plan to then just put the Series 3 in the basement. It will still be hard wired to my home network so I'll have MRV access to shows on it from the two Premiers on the main floor.

However, Since Comcast charges $8 for more cable cards, I don't plan to get cable cards for this older Series 3 and just hooking the coax cable right to it. This basic hookup will essentially just get me local channels only on this Series 3 (I'm in a Comcast area that has done the digital transition). My Sony HDTV can get local HD channels with the direct coaxial connections. They are channels like ch4-1, 5-1, 11-1, etc.

I realize I will have to go through the setup process again, but can my Series 3 get these HD channels as well (with just a simple direct coax connection)? Or will it really just get the analog version of the local channels?
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

It will get those channels, but without guide data. You can watch live tv and do manual recordings with no problem.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
A J Ricaud

If you can get the network channels from an OTA antenna you will get full guide data. OTA TV signal quality is often better than that from the cable co.'s.
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J Ricaud View Post
If you can get the network channels from an OTA antenna you will get full guide data. OTA TV signal quality is often better than that from the cable co.'s.
Agreed; but we don't know OP's location.
We're OTA spoiled here in greater L.A. Basin.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
buscuitboy

Well, I JUST got a notice from Xfinity/Comcast (Atlanta area) stating that as of June 26th, ALL TVs in my home will HAVE to have some sort of Comcast digital equipment in order to receive ANY programming. Either a cable card, DTA or digital box. Even the local basic package (ch2-30) will require something.

Therefore, my possible desire to have my S3 hooked up with JUST the coax cable, record HD locals and then MRV them to two other Premieres won't be possible after all.

Comcast is REALLY starting to irk me.

Last edited by buscuitboy : 06-02-2012 at 01:25 PM.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote