TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
newsposter
Poster of News

shark tank 1/4/13

one million dollars! oh my mister wonderful had a field day there. i was shocked masks are worth that much to someone. must be in the licensing deals. wish the presenter cleaned off his nose, didnt look so good just keeping that bit on him

2 bucks per tent when they cost about 5 or 6 to make seems a bit high to me? could kev really think he would get that? the dura tent name was stupid though and his reasoning for keeping it that name was wrong.

also the name of the kids shampoo should be changed, i understand why the presenter wanted it to be 'higher class' looking but sometimes you need to stay with the fun kids stuff for it to be popular. i do think the labeling had a sort of snob appeal

beer video...buzzzzzzz...wow even i knew that was bad. not worth discussing

i do like the flashbacks and i'm glad the squirrel girls are doing well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

I didn't like the guy selling the masks much, but that's a great product. It's going to be worth a lot more than a million I'd guess. Just think of halloween.....these are so much easier to wear than makeup and with no mess, and they likely can look better with fancier designs. Costs very little to make and can have a huge profit margin.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
newsposter
Poster of News

i forgot he ate the mask..talk about recycling!

i think that would be a good marketing tool too for sure. safe for kids to eat!

kev telling the kids to leave the room was cute..my guess is there's an age cut off because i know kids were in the show before

!

Old 01-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
andyw715

That hair product lady could have made any product and I'd buy it...
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #5
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
beer video...buzzzzzzz...wow even i knew that was bad. not worth discussing
newsposter: feel free to ignore this post.

I only watched this episode to see how the Arkeg guys did. I made my first cabinet back in 2001 and heard about these guys trying to make it a business in 2008. Was honestly a little surprised they're still kicking the idea around.

It pretty much played out how I thought it would.. Like one of the sharks (Robert?) said, there's the dinosaur factor. These things are not inconspicuous and you have to have the space for them, not to mention the target demographic is quite small.

I think the Arkeg guys are on the right track just doing custom orders and renting them out ($150 for 24 hours). They may be able to eek a living out of it, but I don't think it'll ever be something that really takes off.

My current cab:

Old 01-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw715 View Post
That hair product lady could have made any product and I'd buy it...
Yeah she's too hot for the 'burbs.

I'm starting to think they should replace Robert, he seldom invests and someone else, perhaps from the franchising world, would serve the show better.
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
ElJay

Mr. Wonderful really cracks me up. When it comes to pure entertainment value, I think he earns more of a paycheck on this show than the rest of them combined.

Daymond and Robert should be replaced. The producers of the show could simply end every segment with historical video of them saying "Well I would add no value here, so I'm out" and I don't think I'd notice anything was wrong.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #8
mattack

Quote:
also the name of the kids shampoo should be changed, i understand why the presenter wanted it to be 'higher class' looking but sometimes you need to stay with the fun kids stuff for it to be popular. i do think the labeling had a sort of snob appeal
Mark Cuban (who I have attacked in previous threads, since I think he mostly lucked out in getting his billions, rather than actually being a really smart/hardworking guy -- and no, I don't think that's jealousy) really should have gone after her when she started talking about "toxins". Bleeck. (i.e. nonscientific crap. I am *inferring* admittedly that she thinks that if something has a technical long name, it is by definition "toxic" and bad without any evidence whatsoever.)

Plus, the fact that she couldn't even get it to be "no more tears" (yes, she said it was due to cost) makes me even less sympathetic.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #9
Satchel

I saw a display at a convenience store and purchased some of the single serving wine in a glass that was on the show a few weeks back.
Satchel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #10
newsposter
Poster of News

how do they test for tears..or dont i wanna know..i picture children in a line waiting to be doused with liquids

!

Old 01-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #11
pmyers

The $450k deal for 40% or whatever it was, was a MUCH better deal for the guy than the $1million +$400k in salary for the owner. He only gets half as much cash up front, but he keeps the majority of the business. That was a no brainer.

I have a friend that built a keg arcade machine so I had to laugh at that one.

I totally agreed about the hair products and that the labeling was crappy. It did look like some high end adult product.

I also agreed that the Dura: Tent was a horrible name.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
newsposter
Poster of News

one other con of the tent was if you really have a lot of people, you cant do the both side of the table buffet style serving

unless the other side unzipped

!

Old 01-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #13
plateau10

How can they even sell a MAME cabinet? I think we all know and look past the "you must have the physical ROM for this file" stuff when downloading ROMs for our own use, but to market a product with essentially pirated software on it?
plateau10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #14
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plateau10 View Post
How can they even sell a MAME cabinet? I think we all know and look past the "you must have the physical ROM for this file" stuff when downloading ROMs for our own use, but to market a product with essentially pirated software on it?
They have licensing agreements for 69 titles. For the rest, you're on your own.

Legalese:
Software Ownership: Arkeg contains pre-loaded operating systems, programs, and games ("Software") that are licensed, not sold, and their use is subject to their respecitive authors' license agreements. Purchase of an Arkeg requires recipient's acceptance of permanent license transferral (including all component parts, the media and printed materials and any upgrades) of the Software contained within.

Oh yeah! O'Leary made a quip about the Arkeg guys being disrespectful or something - what was that about? Was a weird edit to show the remark but not the instigation.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #15
TiVolunteer
lotta lurk rare post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldorf View Post
Oh yeah! O'Leary made a quip about the Arkeg guys being disrespectful or something - what was that about? Was a weird edit to show the remark but not the instigation.
He was joking. He immediately said "You didn't offer me a beer" and that was when they started offering beer and wine all around. So, he was saying they were "rude" for not offering him a beer.
1 Roamio Pro
1 TiVo Mini
2 TiVo HD
TiVolunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #16
plateau10

Quote:
They have licensing agreements for 69 titles. For the rest, you're on your own.
Ah, hadn't thought of that. Website shows 51 games. Did they actually license them or did the copyright holders just decide to release those to public domain, I wonder. Missing quite a few of what I think most people would want to play.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #17
pmyers

I imagine that face mask would do HUGE business just during Halloween.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #18
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by plateau10 View Post
No, *we* don't. I wish I could legally buy games to use in a MAME cabinet.. (That weren't *ridiculously* overpriced.*

While I have no idea if it REALLY is MAME, I saw arcade cabinets with a bunch of old games *in actual arcades* (I think at a local Golfland) probably close to 10 years ago. They might still be there.

Basically, they can legitimately license them. I don't remember the names, but there are a couple of well known arcade cabinets with legitimately licensed games.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #19
inaka

I don't believe there is any way those guys are selling legal licensed game machines at that price point.
They're either using MAME or a 60-in-1 jamma board. Both are illegal resell.

If you're they were modifying a icensed game machine, the games would suck, and they probably couldn't modify it to the point where they put their own art and a friggin' keg in it.

The interview portion at home showed the guy in front of a computer screen with code on it similar to a mame boot loader. I'm guessing an unlicensed MAME machine.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #20
plateau10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
No, *we* don't. I wish I could legally buy games to use in a MAME cabinet.. (That weren't *ridiculously* overpriced.*
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to include literally everyone who read that as "we" -- the ones who agreed knew who they were.

Everyone's got their own line they won't cross, of course. Me, I'll torrent a network show that my TiVo missed for whatever reason without a second thought, but I'd never torrent a cable show (I'm OTA-only) or a movie or anything like that. And that's even after getting hooked on a few shows (Walking Dead, American Horror Story) and having to wait for Netflix to get the next season. But yes, I've downloaded a bunch of MAME ROMs to just try on my laptop -- don't really have the room for a MAME cabinet, though I've thought about it a few times. I agree with you, I'd pay for some of these games if they would offer them.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #21
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

Disclaimer: My first job was repairing arcade cabinets when I was 14 back in '86, so I could talk about this stuff all day.

I'm trying not to totally derail this thread, but yes - you can build and sell a "licensed" multi-arcade game with ROMs built in, and at a reasonable price.

The Arkeg guys are using GameEx as their front-end which also has karaoke and jukebox functionality. I recently switched from MameWah to HyperSpin which is also a really nice front-end that can be booted directly into for a consumer kiosk-level experience.

Other multi-game licensed machines you may have seen in the wild are the Global Arcade Classics, Ultracade, or the Arcade Legends series. Capcom used to sell an ArcadePC cabinet that came with 50 roms on a disk and even used MAME as the front-end. Not sure if they're still around, but HotRod control panels came with around 20 licensed ROMs and X-Arcade cabinets came with about 200. There was also a StarROMs site that sold ROMs individually based on agreements with the various license holders.

Exceptions the past few years include when Namco re-released the Ms Pacman / Pacman / Galaga cabinets for the 20th anniversary, they no longer licensed them individually but you could get around it by licensing "Namco Museum" which included those, Dig-Dug, Galaxian, and Pole Position.

All of that being said, the licensing has always been kind of fishy but unchallenged. Are the roms on your own pcb's or ones obtained through X-Arcade, HotRod, etc. transferrable? What about all of the roms you bought from StarROMs when they were active? Sony has sued Connectix for making a PlayStation emulator and lost. As far as I know, MAME or any other multi-arcade type cabinets have never been challenged in court, likely because there's no money in it. Getting back on topic, the sharks seem to agree.

Last edited by Waldorf : 01-11-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Waldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #22
mattack

Apparently Ultracade WASN'T legal
http://dougberry.hubpages.com/hub/Ul...uilty-of-Fraud

That is one of the ones I was thinking about, though I'm pretty sure I saw another one.

Yeah, I remember the cabinet games that had original & updated versions of some of the games.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #23
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Apparently Ultracade WASN'T legal
http://dougberry.hubpages.com/hub/Ul...uilty-of-Fraud

That is one of the ones I was thinking about, though I'm pretty sure I saw another one.

Yeah, I remember the cabinet games that had original & updated versions of some of the games.
Ah, okay... this may be what I was thinking of. As you can see, it looks like Namco just threatened and David was found guilty of other charges by GlobalVR.

When I mentioned people getting around Namco's license earlier by licensing "Namco Museum", David did it with Microsoft's "Return of Arcade" on the Ultracade:

Quote:
SAN JOSE, CA - (Posted March 7) According to Namco America president Kevin Hayes, "Ultracade is completely out of bounds in selling 'Pac-Man' or any other Namco titles for arcade use with their system. They have not licensed it from Namco or anyone else. Operators buying Namco titles from them should realize they are buying an unlicensed, illegal product and that Namco is taking appropriate action to protect its intellectual property from misuse / theft. Namco continues to sell various models of our '20 Year Reunion: Class of '81 Ms. Pac-Man / Galaga,' incorporating Pac-Man' at very competitive prices; the market has responded by buying over 13,000 and is still not showing any signs of slowing down."

Reached for comment, Ultracade's David Foley stated: "We offer fully licensed and legal copies of any and all games that we offer on our platform'We have recently started shipping the Microsoft Return of Arcade, 20th anniversary edition game pack for the UltraCade platform. This product is offered for sale by Microsoft, and is fully licensed and fully legal for us to resell. We purchase, and redistribute a Microsoft license for each copy that we sell to install onto the UltraCade platform." He added that the Microsoft product lacks a specific statement that prohibits public use (i.e., arcade play). Foley added: "We would not jeopardize our business by selling illegal or pirate games'In some cases, we have purchased legal ROMs for resale, and in other cases are purchasing the Microsoft versions for resale, in either case, we are not in any way violating Namco's copyrights."

Old 01-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #24
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

I kept saying to the TV, "Will someone tell the "GameFace" dude that he still has some "face" left on his nose?"
Even on his after-deal camera "confessional" or whatever they call it, he still had red and white stripes on his nose!
I was LOLing for real!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #25
tiams

Quote:
how do they test for tears..or dont i wanna know..i picture children in a line waiting to be doused with liquids
Because of something I once read about how cosmetics are tested on rabbit's eyes, I always picture poor bunnies with pink eyes being Clockwork-Oranged and having chemicals dropped into them.

Quote:

I think that was Daymond, who then said they never offered him a beer.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote