TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
lessd

Comcast On-Demand Hartford CT just started; Question

Last night I just saw the Xfinity OD menu (Comcast OD name). I could get to all the OD programs but when I went to watch one I only got the first 1/2 second of the show and the TiVo just stopped at that point, the back button or TiVo button got you out, so my question for the people that have OD from Comcast is:

Does this system take a few days to get running correctly ??

I did sign up for an E-Mail when OD was ready for my area, I have not received any E-mail about OD, has anybody ever received an E-Mail telling them that Comcast OD was now ready in your area ??

Do I have to call Comcast to fully implement OD ?

I have 1 TPXL and 3 TPs all connected with the N TiVo adapter at 5Gh and MRS works great.

Last edited by lessd : 07-26-2012 at 10:45 AM.
lessd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
BHyde

I'm having the same problem. I got an error message telling me to call Comcast. I did that and a tech is coming out on Saturday. I hope that won't be necessary, as the previous message suggests this is a system problem and not on my end.
BHyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #3
xander777

I also got it last night, but only on one of my Premieres. The other one still doesn't have it this morning. Is that normal?
xander777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander777 View Post
I also got it last night, but only on one of my Premieres. The other one still doesn't have it this morning. Is that normal?
Yes, as it comes from a call home from your TiVo, force a call home on your other TiVos and you will have it on all of them.
Does it work, can you watch anything on the VOD now, I have not tried for the last couple of days, but before that I would only get about a second of the program than it went into a pause mode.

Just checked and it now working, great!!

Last edited by lessd : 07-27-2012 at 10:25 AM.
lessd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
xander777

Yes, mine was working, I watched the first 10 seconds of a tv show after a 30-second commercial and no fast-forwarding ability, but it seemed to work ok.
I heard there is an HD UI for it now but mine was showing as very low-def.
I'll check it when I get home.
xander777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander777 View Post
Yes, mine was working, I watched the first 10 seconds of a tv show after a 30-second commercial and no fast-forwarding ability, but it seemed to work ok.
I heard there is an HD UI for it now but mine was showing as very low-def.
I'll check it when I get home.
In the VOD menu one can select HD programs, than I got the HD version of NCIS as a test, worked great as I watched the program after the ad for about 5 minutes and it was in full HD.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
justinw

I'm in the Vernon CT market. When I saw this post last night, I immediately checked both my Tivos. My regular Premiere had it, and my Elite needed a service connection as well as a reset of the HDUI menu (press Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Play Play on the TiVo Central screen).

Mine has worked flawlessly ever since. I could careless if the menu is in low res SD or HD, its Xfinity on Demand on Tivo, which is something I never thought I would have! Plus, we are one of the very few areas to have it. So you will absolutely not hear any complaining from me. If I could sign a 30 year contract with Comcast right now I would do it. This rocks.
justinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
geekaren
TiVo Rocks, eh?!

Anyone know if Comcast on demand is being made available throughout Connecticut, or if it's only available to TiVo owners in Hartford metro area?
Pioneer DVR-57H (retired)
geekaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #9
BHyde

My problem seems to have resolved itself, without needing a tech to come out.

I had been a dual DirecTV/Comcast customer, but have cut the DirecTV way back, just enough to get Sunday Ticket, and the on-demand product we are now getting thru comcast on-demand removes one more of DirecTV's advantages over a cable Tivo.

If only Comcast had as many premium movie channels in HD as DirecTV!
BHyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:09 AM   #10
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekaren View Post
Anyone know if Comcast on demand is being made available throughout Connecticut, or if it's only available to TiVo owners in Hartford metro area?
TiVo has a sight about VOD, just put your zip in the box and TiVo will tell you if you have VOD.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:15 AM   #11
geekaren
TiVo Rocks, eh?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
TiVo has a sight about VOD, just put your zip in the box and TiVo will tell you if you have VOD.
Thanks! Just checked: Not available yet in my town.

Also tried a few other zip codes.... looks like it's available in Middletown now (06457).
Pioneer DVR-57H (retired)

Last edited by geekaren : 07-28-2012 at 11:16 AM. Reason: grammar
geekaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #12
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Last night I just saw the Xfinity OD menu (Comcast OD name). I could get to all the OD programs but when I went to watch one I only got the first 1/2 second of the show and the TiVo just stopped at that point, the back button or TiVo button got you out, so my question for the people that have OD from Comcast is:

Does this system take a few days to get running correctly ??

I did sign up for an E-Mail when OD was ready for my area, I have not received any E-mail about OD, has anybody ever received an E-Mail telling them that Comcast OD was now ready in your area ??

Do I have to call Comcast to fully implement OD ?

I have 1 TPXL and 3 TPs all connected with the N TiVo adapter at 5Gh and MRS works great.
I had this problem. I had to call Comcast and ask them to ad a Tivo AO to my account.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #13
ad301

We have it here in Madison now. This is the Branford system.
ad301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #14
carriepete
Tivo user since 2000

Does anyone know if the VOD will work without a CC? Yes, I know the VOD is coming from the cable signal and not thru the internet, but I was hoping not to get a CC on second TIVO and just use it for Netflix and hopefully VOD...
carriepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #15
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriepete View Post
Does anyone know if the VOD will work without a CC? Yes, I know the VOD is coming from the cable signal and not thru the internet, but I was hoping not to get a CC on second TIVO and just use it for Netflix and hopefully VOD...
I can't imagine that it would work with out a cable card since the cable card is used to decode the channel that the VOD is coming down on. I didn't realize you could do much of anything with out a cable card now days.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #16
carriepete
Tivo user since 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
I can't imagine that it would work with out a cable card since the cable card is used to decode the channel that the VOD is coming down on. I didn't realize you could do much of anything with out a cable card now days.
Well my parents live in New London, CT and have Metrocast for their cable and their signals don't need to be decoded, so I gave them the Premiere to use (since the don't need a CC), but now that I can access VOD (thru Comcast in Connecticut), I'm wondering if I should take it back if it would work with just the Coax and no CC.
carriepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #17
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Quote:
Well my parents live in New London, CT and have Metrocast for their cable and their signals don't need to be decoded, so I gave them the Premiere to use (since the don't need a CC), but now that I can access VOD (thru Comcast in Connecticut), I'm wondering if I should take it back if it would work with just the Coax and no CC.
I'm guessing no. It doesn't seem logical for Comcast to provide VOD with no cable card. They could probably do it but they could also offer all their channels with no cable card if they wanted to. They'd rather be able to make money by charging for the CC.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #18
lessd

Quote:
Without a cable card the only channels (with TiVo guide data) you can get on cable is analog, if your system still has any analog, Comcast in the Hartford now has no analog channels. VOD uses one of the TiVo tuners to receive the VOD program (I tested that out by recording on both tuners and trying to get a VOD program, the message came back that i would have to give up one recording in progress if i wanted that VOD program), so the cable card tells the TiVo what VOD channel to go to for your program.

OH! TiVo just sent me an E-Mail today telling me VOD is now available in my area.