TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
Brolan

Question Cable conversion question

I have a Premier XL and my cable company Midco is doing an analog to digital conversion in my area. I've been having trouble getting the new digital channels to show up with a program listing. And TiVo has been no help at all, I got a message back about how they can't support cable sub-channels.

While re-doing guided setup for the hundredth time I read about the M-card. It says you need to have a M-card to get digital cable, but I thought the M-card was for encrypted channels? Is an M-card the issue preventing me from getting my cable channel listings?
Brolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
compnurd

It could be. Yes you do need an M Card for encrypted AND Digital channels
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brolan View Post
I have a Premier XL and my cable company Midco is doing an analog to digital conversion in my area. I've been having trouble getting the new digital channels to show up with a program listing. And TiVo has been no help at all, I got a message back about how they can't support cable sub-channels.

While re-doing guided setup for the hundredth time I read about the M-card. It says you need to have a M-card to get digital cable, but I thought the M-card was for encrypted channels? Is an M-card the issue preventing me from getting my cable channel listings?
The M-Card (Multistream) gives you the channels that your cable feed supplies. When a channel is added or removed, the TiVo may give you a message that your lineup has changed. You can work without a cable card, but you will get many evil messages that you are recording a channel that is not in your lineup. The listings (program titles) come from the data sent by your subscription and are delivered via the internet.

After installing the cable card I had to do one more rescan. Since then it has been automatic. But, remember that all cable is local. Encryption is more of function of the service you pay for (especially premium channels) but if your cable company has a web site it may help explain what is different between encrypted channels and clear QAM channels.
JoeKustra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
Brolan

Thanks for the quick replies, I just called Midco and they are dropping off an M-card early next week. Hopefully the install is simple.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brolan View Post
Thanks for the quick replies, I just called Midco and they are dropping off an M-card early next week. Hopefully the install is simple.
TiVo comes with a simple page on cable card installation. More help on tivo.com. This is what you're getting:
http://www.midcocomm.com/resourcecen...ail/CableCARDs

Add your location to your profile and I can guestimate your new lineup.
JoeKustra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
Brolan

Update: The M-card did fix my problems with the channel listings. I called Midco and they dropped off the M-card. A couple of days later I popped it the unit and called their tech support line to initalize the card. Took about 30 mins on the phone and it now works like a champ after I repeated the guided setup.

Funny thing is the status screen for the M-card makes it looks like it isn't working, but everything I can see is working fine.